none
Trying to understand my network adapter; home computer on home network.

Pergunta

• I know what Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller is, and I have an idea what the VMWare Virtual Ethernet Adapters are. The other adapters confuse me.

When I run 'Get-WmiObject -Class win32_networkadapter | select name' in the powershell console on my home computer I get
    name
    ----
    WAN Miniport (SSTP)
    WAN Miniport (IKEv2)
    WAN Miniport (L2TP)
    WAN Miniport (PPTP)
    WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
    WAN Miniport (IPv6)
    WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
    Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
    WAN Miniport (IP)
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    RAS Async Adapter
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
    VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet1
    VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet8
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3

Is this too much? Should I be concerned? How do I make sense of all these?

christopher donals

• Editado genxer99 sábado, 17 de março de 2012 04:23
    sábado, 17 de março de 2012 04:23

Respostas

• Hello christopher , 

Greetings !! 

Here are my observations about the various network adapters. 

A. WAN Miniport : WAN stands for Wide Area Network. A Miniport driver is a hardware-specific driver that manages the NIC (Network Interface Card), it sends and receives data through the NIC. Moreover, the driver also inter-communicates with higher layer/level transport protocols and drivers.

B. Microsoft ISATAP Adapter :  The Microsoft ISATAP device Inter Site Automatic Tunneling Address Protocol is used to help enterprises transition to an IPv6 infrastructure. The ISATAP adapter encapsulates IPv6 packets by using an IPv4 header. This functionality enables the client to transport IPv6 traffic over an IPv4 infrastructure. This approach lets organizations slowly migrate to an IPv6 infrastructure without having to spend excessive time and financial resources to convert to the new infrastructure.

C. RAS Async Adapter : The RAS Async Adapter component provides support for a RAS asynchronous adapter device.

D. Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface :  Teredo is an IPv6 transition technology that provides address assignment and host-to-host automatic tunneling for unicast IPv6 traffic when IPv6/IPv4 hosts are located behind one or multiple IPv4 network address translators (NATs). 

Hope this helps. Kindly let me know if you have any other queries, I will try to satisfy your concerns . 

Thanks

Jagadeesh

Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

sábado, 17 de março de 2012 13:41
  • These are all valid adapters/endpoints/interfaces.

You can view these in Device Manager if you "show hidden devices". Since they are not all visible by default (probably a good thing, since you don't want to delete them).

- Most of the endpoints that are part of the default Windows installation allow the various types of VPN's or other network type configurations. You can read up on these on MSDN.

- Some of the other built in devices are specific to IPv6 and also translation between IPv4 and IPv6.

- Some are additional (physical) network (wired or wirless) adapters for specific hardware devices that you have attached (or have been attached).

- Some are additional (virtual) network adapters for specific applications, such as the private adapters for VMware, which allow you to bridge or NAT to the virtual machine networks from the physical adapters.

There is also another option that you can view 'ghosted' adapters. These adapers have maintained configuration in the registry, however are not physically attached to the computer as the current time. You can see how to view these adapters in this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269155. In short you need to start device manager from the command prompt with the variable devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 set.

terça-feira, 20 de março de 2012 03:25

Todas as Respostas

• Hello christopher , 

Greetings !! 

Here are my observations about the various network adapters. 

A. WAN Miniport : WAN stands for Wide Area Network. A Miniport driver is a hardware-specific driver that manages the NIC (Network Interface Card), it sends and receives data through the NIC. Moreover, the driver also inter-communicates with higher layer/level transport protocols and drivers.

B. Microsoft ISATAP Adapter :  The Microsoft ISATAP device Inter Site Automatic Tunneling Address Protocol is used to help enterprises transition to an IPv6 infrastructure. The ISATAP adapter encapsulates IPv6 packets by using an IPv4 header. This functionality enables the client to transport IPv6 traffic over an IPv4 infrastructure. This approach lets organizations slowly migrate to an IPv6 infrastructure without having to spend excessive time and financial resources to convert to the new infrastructure.

C. RAS Async Adapter : The RAS Async Adapter component provides support for a RAS asynchronous adapter device.

D. Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface :  Teredo is an IPv6 transition technology that provides address assignment and host-to-host automatic tunneling for unicast IPv6 traffic when IPv6/IPv4 hosts are located behind one or multiple IPv4 network address translators (NATs). 

Hope this helps. Kindly let me know if you have any other queries, I will try to satisfy your concerns . 

Thanks

Jagadeesh

Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

sábado, 17 de março de 2012 13:41
  • These are all valid adapters/endpoints/interfaces.

You can view these in Device Manager if you "show hidden devices". Since they are not all visible by default (probably a good thing, since you don't want to delete them).

- Most of the endpoints that are part of the default Windows installation allow the various types of VPN's or other network type configurations. You can read up on these on MSDN.

- Some of the other built in devices are specific to IPv6 and also translation between IPv4 and IPv6.

- Some are additional (physical) network (wired or wirless) adapters for specific hardware devices that you have attached (or have been attached).

- Some are additional (virtual) network adapters for specific applications, such as the private adapters for VMware, which allow you to bridge or NAT to the virtual machine networks from the physical adapters.

There is also another option that you can view 'ghosted' adapters. These adapers have maintained configuration in the registry, however are not physically attached to the computer as the current time. You can see how to view these adapters in this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269155. In short you need to start device manager from the command prompt with the variable devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 set.

terça-feira, 20 de março de 2012 03:25