none
Windows Updates

질문

• Did Al Queda get into the Windows Update server this morning?  I have installed 2 updates on a Windows 2008 R2 server and they both show up in the update history with green check marks next to them, and it says they were installed successfully.  However, a scan with MBSA shows the 2 updates missing, and the same 2 updates keep notifying me that they need to be installed.  The updates are KB2760411 and KB2760590.  I have installed them both at least 5 times.  They say they installed successfully but they keep notifying me to install them, over and over and over.  The server is a WSUS client.  Rebooting the server did not help.  Aside from removing all traces of Excel Viewer 2007 from the server, is there any way I can fix this?  It is more annoying than the 7-year itch.

Thanks and kindest regards,

Flux Blocker I

2013년 9월 11일 수요일 오후 3:52

답변

• Did Al Queda get into the Windows Update server this morning?

No, but this behavior has been widely reported, also including KB2760583 and KB2760588.

My guess is that they let a rookie package these updates, and nobody actually tested them! (What a concept!) and they're all probably FUBAR for exactly the same reason.

If you've confirmed that the updates are, in fact, installed, then simply remove the approvals from those updates and the WUAgent will cease attempting to (re)install the update.

If you find any systems where the update has not been installed, create a special group just for these updates, approve them for that group, and add those systems to that group just long enough to get the approval and install the update, then remove them from the group.

Most likely we'll see these updates revised or expired in the next day or so once the

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

2013년 9월 11일 수요일 오후 5:37

모든 응답

• Make that 2 servers - both WSUS clients - both doing the exact same thing.  Excel viewer 2007 is installed on both servers.  One server is a 32-bit Windows 2008 server and the other one is a Windows 2008 R2 64-bit server.  The same 2 updates have been installed at least 5 times each on both servers.  The update history says they installed successfully but the update client continues to prompt me over and over again that the updates are available and ready to be installed, as if they never were.  So far the only "fix" is to remove Excel viewer from the servers.
    2013년 9월 11일 수요일 오후 4:04
  • Did Al Queda get into the Windows Update server this morning?

No, but this behavior has been widely reported, also including KB2760583 and KB2760588.

My guess is that they let a rookie package these updates, and nobody actually tested them! (What a concept!) and they're all probably FUBAR for exactly the same reason.

If you've confirmed that the updates are, in fact, installed, then simply remove the approvals from those updates and the WUAgent will cease attempting to (re)install the update.

If you find any systems where the update has not been installed, create a special group just for these updates, approve them for that group, and add those systems to that group just long enough to get the approval and install the update, then remove them from the group.

Most likely we'll see these updates revised or expired in the next day or so once the

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

2013년 9월 11일 수요일 오후 5:37