none
Route federation edge serevr or director server?

Frage

• Hi,

I dont konw whish server should be set in the topology builder for federation route ?! the director pool or the edge pool? What are the advantages of using each? sometimes topology builder let me user director pool sometimes (If I create a new topology) it let me use edge pool as federation route!

Can you explain me please?

Thank you

Samstag, 30. Juni 2012 08:30

Antworten

• It's the Director.  If you didn't have a Director, your firewall between your Pools and Edge would have to be opened up to talk to the Edge.  In the case of multiple Pools, that would be multiple openings in your firewall.  One of the benefits of using a Director, is that all your Pools would talk to the Director for federation, and then only the Director would need to talk to the Edge.  And thus, less firewall work.  That is one of the benefits of using a Director.

MVP | MCSE:M | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator | MCTS: OCS + Voice Specialization | http://www.shudnow.net

Samstag, 30. Juni 2012 22:24
  • Hi,Uchiha-Sasuke

To set a site federation route assignment, you must first have federation enabled on an Edge Server or Edge Server pool. If federation is not enabled on an Edge Server or pool, the federation route assignment settings for the site will not be available for modification.

If the federation setting at the Edge Server or pool has been configured, you select Enable at the site level. You then select an Edge or a Director from the drop-down list to set as the federation route.

For the advantages I think Elan has clarifed the benefits for you.

B/R

Sharon

Sharon Shen

TechNet Community Support

************************************************************************************************************************

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

Montag, 2. Juli 2012 08:08

Alle Antworten

• It's the Director.  If you didn't have a Director, your firewall between your Pools and Edge would have to be opened up to talk to the Edge.  In the case of multiple Pools, that would be multiple openings in your firewall.  One of the benefits of using a Director, is that all your Pools would talk to the Director for federation, and then only the Director would need to talk to the Edge.  And thus, less firewall work.  That is one of the benefits of using a Director.

MVP | MCSE:M | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator | MCTS: OCS + Voice Specialization | http://www.shudnow.net

Samstag, 30. Juni 2012 22:24
  • Hi,Uchiha-Sasuke

To set a site federation route assignment, you must first have federation enabled on an Edge Server or Edge Server pool. If federation is not enabled on an Edge Server or pool, the federation route assignment settings for the site will not be available for modification.

If the federation setting at the Edge Server or pool has been configured, you select Enable at the site level. You then select an Edge or a Director from the drop-down list to set as the federation route.

For the advantages I think Elan has clarifed the benefits for you.

B/R

Sharon

Sharon Shen

TechNet Community Support

************************************************************************************************************************

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

Montag, 2. Juli 2012 08:08