none
Lunc 2010 CAL Licensing

Frage

• Lync CAL question. I understand that the Enterprise and Plus CALs are additive to the Standard CAL. But are they progressive? Is an Enterprise CAL required to have a Plus CAL? If I want to put a Lync pnone on a users desk but do not want to give them conferencing, Can a user can just have a Standard CAL and a Plus CAL?

Thanks!

Tom

Donnerstag, 28. Juni 2012 18:07

Antworten

• Very interesting Jeff. All communications I have had concerning Lync CALs state that they are additive. Saying the Standard CAL is required for ALL users. Enterprise and Plus are additive.

Since i posted this questing I did further searching and found the linc for the Lync Licensing Guide. http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9746239

If the information here has changed, I would really like to know.

I read it to say that all users require a Standard CAL. Enterprise or Plus can be added, individually, or both.

Thanks!!

Tom

*****  Excerpt from the Licensing Guide  *****

2.1.2 Client Access Licenses (CAL)

To access Lync Server 2010, a CAL is required. A CAL is a license that gives a user the right to access the services of the server. There are three CALs for Lync:

 Lync Server 2010 Standard CAL

 Lync Server 2010 Enterprise CAL

 Lync Server 2010 Plus CAL

The Standard CAL is the base CAL and required in all scenarios. Enterprise CALs and Plus CAL is additive and is sold as a supplement to the Standard CAL. To enable Standard CAL features for a user, the user must be licensed with the Standard CAL. To use either the Enterprise CAL or the Plus CAL features, the user must be licensed with a Standard CAL and either one (1) Enterprise CAL or one (1) Plus CAL. To enable all features, a user must be licensed with all three CALs.

Each CAL works with either the Standard Edition or Enterprise Edition of the Server.

• Als Antwort markiert Tom_Slycke Donnerstag, 28. Juni 2012 18:53
    Donnerstag, 28. Juni 2012 18:25

Alle Antworten

• Only a single CAL is required for each user so you select the one that is the best option for what you need. An Enterprise CAL would cover everything that the lower-level Standard or Plus CALs provide.

Jeff Schertz | Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | Lync MVP

Donnerstag, 28. Juni 2012 18:16
  • Very interesting Jeff. All communications I have had concerning Lync CALs state that they are additive. Saying the Standard CAL is required for ALL users. Enterprise and Plus are additive.

Since i posted this questing I did further searching and found the linc for the Lync Licensing Guide. http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9746239

If the information here has changed, I would really like to know.

I read it to say that all users require a Standard CAL. Enterprise or Plus can be added, individually, or both.

Thanks!!

Tom

*****  Excerpt from the Licensing Guide  *****

2.1.2 Client Access Licenses (CAL)

To access Lync Server 2010, a CAL is required. A CAL is a license that gives a user the right to access the services of the server. There are three CALs for Lync:

 Lync Server 2010 Standard CAL

 Lync Server 2010 Enterprise CAL

 Lync Server 2010 Plus CAL

The Standard CAL is the base CAL and required in all scenarios. Enterprise CALs and Plus CAL is additive and is sold as a supplement to the Standard CAL. To enable Standard CAL features for a user, the user must be licensed with the Standard CAL. To use either the Enterprise CAL or the Plus CAL features, the user must be licensed with a Standard CAL and either one (1) Enterprise CAL or one (1) Plus CAL. To enable all features, a user must be licensed with all three CALs.

Each CAL works with either the Standard Edition or Enterprise Edition of the Server.

• Als Antwort markiert Tom_Slycke Donnerstag, 28. Juni 2012 18:53
    Donnerstag, 28. Juni 2012 18:25
  • My bad, you are correct.  I never get involved with licensing so interesting that I'd had that backwards since they changed it all up in Lync. :)  I thought that prices were bundled into each other.

By that description it appears you have your answer, since it states you need all three calls for all features or can go with just two CALs.  Basically it's like an al a carte menu now. 

There is also this matrix which shows all the individual features in each CAL: http://lync.microsoft.com/en-in/HowToBuy/pages/pricing-licensing.aspx

Jeff Schertz | Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | Lync MVP

Donnerstag, 28. Juni 2012 18:35
  • Thansk Jeff!!
    Donnerstag, 28. Juni 2012 18:55