none
Lync 2010 on XP sp3 crashes after sign in when contacts are populating

Question

• Lync 2010 on XP machine closes with communicator.exe error.

The Problem:

Lync 2010 opens and the user signs in automatically. The sign in works fine for a couple of minutes, until contacts start to load. As the contacts start to load into the Lync window then it will crash and give me the option to restart. No real details in the error message that I can see. communicator.exe AppVer 4.0.7557 I believe. (I only have a screenshot from the user's machine)

I have tried the following:

• a reinstallation of the Communicator
    • created a new outlook profile
    • created a new user profile
    • tried to login with a different user in windows

None of which has had any effect on this one users lync account. Out of roughly 100 machines this is the only machine I am having this issue on. A wipe and reinstall of windows might fix everything but that is a very last choice consideration. It really seems to be tied to when contacts start to populate, so maybe the problem is tied to where the contacts are coming from? Under both users Lync did open fine and was able to connect and at first appeared to be working. Until all of the contacts showed up then it would crash. Of course there could be something else going on that I am not seeing because of the crash, such as a message saying so_and_so has added you to their contact list.

The only other piece of information I have from the user is that this issue started to happen she believes after she upgraded to IE8. But I have no verification if it is tied to IE8 or not. And doubt this issue is still stemming from the upgrade. I have manually updated the users computer through microsoft and everything all the updates seem to be installed.

If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it. The user has been more then forgiving on not having this but I really would like to get it working correctly for her.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:06 PM

All replies

• I suggest to use the Communicator as a client for XP even the SP3 support Lync Client

Thanks,
    MOHAMED A. SAKR | Software Development Lead Engineer | EgyptNetwork
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Also try to Vote as Helpful

• Proposed as answer by MohamedSakr Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:53 AM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:27 AM
  • Not heard of this before, but if it is one machine in 100 it sounds machine specific.

Do other users on the same machine have the issue? Can you try both on that users profile and when the 2nd user is signed in with their own profile.

Does the problem user have the issue on another machine (to prove it's machine specific).

If it really is machine specific I suspect a format is going to be quicker than hunting down the issue, but a log of the crash event may help - do you see anything in event viewer?

thanks

Tom Arbuthnot, Consultant Modality Systems
    Blog: Lync'd Up Blog Join over 300 UC Pros who subscribe for blog updates: Email or RSS
    Twitter @tomarbuthnot

Monday, February 27, 2012 12:38 AM
  • Hi Kevin,

Any update?

In addition, for this issue machine, I suggest you to check if it meets the hardware and software requirements.

And you could also update your client according to KB2670498. Hope helps.

Noya Lau

TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 27, 2012 8:12 AM
  • Good morning,

Sorry about being slow to reply, the user has been out on vacation and just got back today. So I am trying to sneak in the work on her computer between her playing catch up. I am still waiting for her to have the time for me to try the KB2670498 update to see if that manages to fix the issue.

I can say the issue is tied to her computer. Same exact issues if I log in with my administrator account and try Lync as me. Hers does work on other computers. Hopefully the update fixes the issue. Other idea I had was to remove all of her contacts and have her go in fresh. I don't expect it to make a difference but it is worth a shot. I am afraid that we are looking at a reformat also. I just need to exhaust all of the other alternatives first, as this user has a lot of specialized software that will not be as easy to reinstall as I would like. So that means a reformat is a last ditch effort.

I will update again after trying the Lync update. Thanks again everyone for your suggestions, I do appreciate them.

Kevin

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:35 PM
  • Hi Kevin,

Have you fixed this issue?

Noya Lau

TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 05, 2012 5:40 AM