none
The following fatal alert was generated: 10. The internal error state is 1203 in Lync server 2010 Std. version

Question

• Hi,

Installed Microsoft Lync standard edition 2 month ago on one single sever. All users connected till yesterday but now I have faced a problem, the Lync client will not sign in. I have the firewall off, the server address has been manually set in the client, certificates have been issued through the wizard on install correctly, user has been enabled using the correct sip URI (email address).  The only clue I have is in the system event log on the Lync server, it has the following error. The following fatal alert was generated: 10. The internal error state is 1203. Event ID: 36888 Source: Schannel

Also, I have noticed in CS control panel > Tolpology > Status ...Registrar and UserServer is stopped. When I click actions then start, nothing happens, it is still stopped. On my lync client event log, I keep getting messages stating that DNS cannot resolve the standard edition server name. When I do a nslookup it resolves. I have checked the manual server address in the lync client and it is certainly spelt correctly. I have a correct PTR record. I have tried setting the client to automatic and have correctly created the _sipinternaltls.domain.com 5061 SRV record in DNS. Same thing again, client event log shows that it cannot find the SRV record. This is certinaly strange, anyideas?

Also front end server not started from services console. I also tried to with all dependency services. But still same problem.

Please help me as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Limon

• Edited by limon Dhaka Monday, October 03, 2011 9:05 AM
    Monday, October 03, 2011 8:55 AM

Answers

• Hi,Limon,

What changes did you do before this happening?Like as some update packages, Lync OR security update packages for Windows or adding some server roles?

Are you using Evaluation Version of Microsoft Lync Server 2010?You can run the service from the deployment wizard,if you got the error that Lync server evaluation has expired you can try to downloaded the Lync Server iso image and follow the steps below for updating from the Evaluation Version of Microsoft Lync Server 2010:-
    1. Log on to the computer as a local administrator. Open the command prompt navigate to the volume license media and run  msiexec.exe /fvomus server.msi EVALTOFULL=1 /qb
    2. Open the Lync Server Managemet Shell on the Front End Server and run
    a) Get-CsServerVersion
    b) Enable-CsComputer
    c) Started the services using Lync server deployment wizard
    3.Forced replication of CMS database by running the command Invoke-CsManagementStoreReplication

Also, I doubt the the password of the RTCService/RTCComponentService is expired,please try to reset the password and mark the account as "Password nerver expires" then restart the server again.

Regards,

Sharon

• Marked as answer by limon Dhaka Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:36 PM
    Friday, October 07, 2011 7:36 AM

All replies

• hello Limon,

as front end server service is not started non of the users will connect, please share error code from the event ID and error message when you start the service.

for lync server error you need to check event viwer ->application and services logs ->Lync server

Rregard, Prem Desai
    Monday, October 03, 2011 9:06 AM
  • hi there,

did you apply any cumulitive updates on the Standard Edition Server ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread
    Monday, October 03, 2011 9:07 AM
  • Hi Prem,

This is the system error log

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Schannel
    Date:          10/3/2011 3:13:19 PM
    Event ID:      36888
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:     
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      LYNC.domain
    Description:
    The following fatal alert was generated: 10. The internal error state is 1203.

Also Windows failed to update.

Thanks,

Limon

Md. Arif Uddin (Limon) Dhaka,Bangladesh
    Monday, October 03, 2011 9:13 AM
  • hello Arif,

PLease check the events under after service fails to start

event viwer ->application and services logs ->Lync server

this error is related to IIS 7.5 on windows 2008 R2 if you have binded any application on port 443 for default web site, so i dont think this will affect your front end server service to start, how ever you can try to verify the certificate on front end server from deployment wizard make sure that is valid and proper.

you can run following commands if it's kerbAuth issue

New-CsKerberosAccount –UserAccount “<Domain name>\KerbAuth” –ContainerDN “CN=User,DC=<Domain>,DC=com”
    New-CsKerberosAccountAssignment –UserAccount “<Domain>\kerbauth” –Identity “site:<Site name>”
    Enable-CsTopology
    Set-CsKerberosAccountPassword –UserAccount “<Domain name>\KerbAuth”
    Enable-CsTopology

Rregard, Prem Desai
    Monday, October 03, 2011 11:37 AM
  • Hi,Limon,

What changes did you do before this happening?Like as some update packages, Lync OR security update packages for Windows or adding some server roles?

Are you using Evaluation Version of Microsoft Lync Server 2010?You can run the service from the deployment wizard,if you got the error that Lync server evaluation has expired you can try to downloaded the Lync Server iso image and follow the steps below for updating from the Evaluation Version of Microsoft Lync Server 2010:-
    1. Log on to the computer as a local administrator. Open the command prompt navigate to the volume license media and run  msiexec.exe /fvomus server.msi EVALTOFULL=1 /qb
    2. Open the Lync Server Managemet Shell on the Front End Server and run
    a) Get-CsServerVersion
    b) Enable-CsComputer
    c) Started the services using Lync server deployment wizard
    3.Forced replication of CMS database by running the command Invoke-CsManagementStoreReplication

Also, I doubt the the password of the RTCService/RTCComponentService is expired,please try to reset the password and mark the account as "Password nerver expires" then restart the server again.

Regards,

Sharon

• Marked as answer by limon Dhaka Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:36 PM
    Friday, October 07, 2011 7:36 AM
  • Dear Sharon,

Thanks for your response. I have overcome these problem.

Md. Arif Uddin (Limon) Dhaka,Bangladesh
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 11:44 AM
  • What did u do, Mr.Limon?

-Rgds, Guru.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:44 PM
  • Hi all,

I had same error on my Front End Lync 2010 server. This happens after renewing Issuing CA certificate. Somehow lyfepool certificate was renewed but this certificate asigning to Lync was missing. I start Deployment wizard --- Install or Update Lync Server System. Then go to step 3: Request, Install or Assign Certificates (it wasn't marced as complete) by pressing Run Again. Default certificate have status missing. There I Assign renewed lyfepool certificate, close all aplications and restart Front End server. Now everything works fine and Schannel error with ID 36888 stops in System log.

Friday, January 20, 2012 8:40 AM
  • Sharon - Thanks for your reply to this. We had the same problem and your solution resolved this issue. Sure wish Microsoft could come up with an error code that actual humans could understand instead of the inscrutable puzzle that this issue was.

Dave Schuck

Monday, February 20, 2012 4:51 PM