none
Lync Server 2013 requirements?

Question

• Hi,
    I have a few questions on the requirements on this page:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398835.aspx
    For a Front-End servers its recommended to use 32 GB RAM and 8 GB disks (2 in RAID1 for OS? and 6 in RAID10 for Lync?) no additional volume for pagefile?

For how mush homed users would this be for? 80.000? I'm trying to decide what hardware to use for 1500 home users, is this still those requirements or can we aim a bit lower?

And if the customer decides to virtualize this will it cut 50% of the homed user requirements like in Lync Server 2010?

We are going for an Enterprise pool but remember back in Lync Server 2010 one Standard Edition server could host 5.000 users, and if virtualized it would remove 50%, so its recommended for 2.500 users....

Thursday, November 22, 2012 1:48 PM

Answers

• 1.For a Front-End servers its recommended to use 32 GB RAM and 8 GB disks (2 in RAID1 for OS? and 6 in RAID10 for Lync?) no additional volume for pagefile?

That is right. You can refer to this similar thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/lyncdeploy/thread/9e83a501-9fd0-4cb1-8fc1-53277b320924

2.For how mush homed users would this be for? 80.000?

Front End pool with twelve Front End Servers and one Back End Server or a mirrored pair of Back End Servers.

3.I'm trying to decide what hardware to use for 1500 home users, is this still those requirements or can we aim a bit lower?

Maybe you can, but I am not sure the requirement exactly.  For Lync Server 2010, you can assign 1GB of RAM for Small Businesses. See the link below.

http://windowspbx.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-small-server-will-microsoft-lync.html

But for good user experience, it is recommended to use what Microsoft suggested.

4.And if the customer decides to virtualize this will it cut 50% of the homed user requirements like in Lync Server 2010?

If you still use Hyper-v on windows server 2008 r2. That is due to Hyper-V supports a maximum of 4 virtualized CPU core. As this resource constraint, a virtualized Lync Server role can handle approximately 50% of the load compared to a physical server running Lync Server and using the recommended hardware specifications.

It seems Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V’s new support for up to 64 vCPUs.

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, November 24, 2012 3:16 AM