none
Office 365 Lync 2010 connectivity outside of network

Question

• I am looking into how our business can use Lync through Office 365. 

We currently use Live Meeting for demo's, Easy Assist for technical support, and Skype for instant messaging.

I am happy with how we can use Lync to present demo's and support clients remotely (although we need to test in the real workd),  however I am unsure about the instant messageing side of things.

IM with in the domain is not a probelms and works fine.  However, we will need to add contacts that are not in our domain i.e. from the outside world.  So my questions are...

How can we connect to the Outside world if the contact does not have Lync Server or Office 365?  Can you create a free Lync account as you can with Skype, MSN, Facebook etc?  Are there plans to be able to add "Skype" contacts to Lync?

Marc Collins www.QGate.co.uk
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:12 PM

All replies

• Although its not ideal, I have found away to communicate with people outside of the network.  I can select "Meet Now" and then send the link to anyone.  they then join the Lync web client.  This isn't very practical if you need to ask a "quick" question or if you need to send a link to someone.

Is there any other way to achieve this?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:29 PM
  • Hi Marc,

Lync external connectivity (federation) enables a Lync Online user to connect with users in other organizations that use Lync Online as well as those that host their own Lync Server 2010 on premises. Federated contacts can see presence, communicate using IM and make Lync-to-Lync audio and video calls.

In addition to Lync-to-Lync federation, Lync Online users can also connect with their contacts from the Windows Live Messenger.

Please refer to Appendix B in Microsoft Lync Online for Enterprises Service Description. Hope useful.

Friday, September 16, 2011 7:31 AM
  • Hi Noya

Relying on other users to have Lync online or have Lync Server 2010 isn't the answer as not all organisations will have these in place.  This would drasticly reduce who we can connect with.

However, being able to connect with Windows Live Messenger would be a more viable solution.  I will read through the document and report back.

Friday, September 16, 2011 9:38 AM
  • Hi Noya

I cannot connect my Lync online account with my Windows Live Messenger account.  Is there something that I need to do.  I have gone through the document and it is not very clear on what is needed.

Friday, September 16, 2011 10:36 AM
  • Hi there,

for my opinion there's a simpler way to achieve IM with external users or public users that aren't part from your organization or even have active directory account.

The lync server can federate with Pulic Instant Messaging providers like MSN, AOL, yahoo, and you can also configure federation with gmail and Jabber based instant messaging providers.

However gmail and jabber instant messaging providers federation requires the use of an XMPP gateway in the middle between your edge server and the internet.

so what is the concept?

the concept is after enabling the federation with public instant messaging providers, lync users will have the ability to add MSN accounts, aol, yahoo, and so on to their lync contact list. and they can interact using IM or in some cases like for msn audio and video.

the good thing about this is that the msn and gmail as far as i know integration is for free and doesn't requires any additional license.

regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread
    Friday, September 16, 2011 11:46 AM
  • Hi Charbel

This is what I need however, I do not know how to acheive this.

Friday, September 16, 2011 12:27 PM
  • Hi,

please inform me what is the part that you need help with so i can send you the details,

regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread
    • Marked as answer by MWacUK Monday, September 19, 2011 12:42 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by MWacUK Monday, September 19, 2011 12:42 PM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:24 AM
  • I would like to be able to use Lync online to connect to users to users that are outside of the network and do not have access to Lync Online or Lync Server.

For example, I want to connect with Company A.  As it stands, I use Skype so therefore company A can download Skype and set up an account so we can connect.  This is what I want to achive with Lync.

Monday, September 19, 2011 12:53 PM
  • I am using Lync with Office 365. I have had mixed results, but haven't tested it thoroughly yet. Within the organization (domain) it runs smoothly. In the literature it clearly states that all (external) users must have a Live ID or a HotMail or MSN account - anything Microsoft. I have, however, invited a couple people on separate occasion to meet where I used their domain address, and been totally successful (with some work) with one person. I could not get the sound to work with the other.

I have never had a problem with instant messaging, desktop sharing, whiteboard sharing. The only issue I have had is with the audio/video - primarily audio. The reason for my visit to the forum today was to check on how to solve the audio problem.

The good news is that I was able to talk with a MAC user within my domain. She had to use Parallels, but she was able to use the audio.

I hope some of this helps. If I find the solution to the audio issues, I will send an update.

Sunday, October 02, 2011 10:22 PM
  • HI ODowda,

what is the problem that you have regarding Audio? If the IP Audio is not clear enough, you can fall back to the conference center to rout voice over PSTN. and for MAC users, there's a new LYNC Client released which supports full LYNC Features including Meetings. Try using that.

Thamara.

Thursday, October 06, 2011 6:53 AM