none
Removing Information from LYNC 2010

Question

• Sorry if this is a duplicate question, I am new to LYNC and I am still working around the technical jargon and all the features.  Any help is apperciated.

I need to have the ability to remove all references to data from LYNC, a simple example of this is if a discussion happens between 2 individuals or if a discusssion happens in a group setting over a chat room, I may need to delete specific messages that were sent.  So for an example, 

Lets say that there is a discussion between a Sales Person, and a IT person.  The IT person was working to quickly and accentently pasted a password in the IM. (This is just an example, I apologize if this is not a very good one.  The end result is I need to have data removed from everywhere.) 

As I wander around the databases, I am finding portions of what I am needed to delete, but with a complete clean up I need to be 100% sure that all references to a certian message has been removed.  As of today, not all the features of LYNC are enabled, but it looks as if the product is going to get a full deployment. 

A big open question that I have right now is references to communcation is showing up in the Outlook install of each of the parties in the discussion.  Is there a way that I can clean this information?  Is there good references to where or how I can complete these actions? 

Monday, January 30, 2012 5:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,Chirs,

"Chat Room" is a dedicated feature of Group Chat server in Lync,so I suppose your orginization probably deployed Lync Group Chat server and your question is removing the specific chat history from Chat Room on Group Chat server.

Group Chat History is stored in SQL database,when you log in the chat room you can view the recent chat history  (messages from previous sessions still shown in the message area on logged chat rooms) and searchable history (messages no longer shown on logged chat rooms, but still available to search).In fact,at a granular level you can view the chat content in the dbo.tblChat table of the Group Chat database on the SQL server,so maybe you can remove propryatary data from this database.

Regards,

Sharon

Sharon Shen

TechNet Community Support

******************************************************************************************************************************************************* Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community memb
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 8:44 AM

All replies

• Lync IM Messages are not persistent and are not preserved on the server.

The client does have the option to save into Conversation History folder in Oultook (Lync Options) Then you should go to user mailbox and delete message.

- Belgian Unified Communications Community : http://www.pro-lync.be -
    Monday, January 30, 2012 11:19 PM
  • Thanks for taking the time to look at this.  I have been finding that the messages are staying in the database for a while.  How long I am not sure yet.  But from what I am seeing, it looks like I am going to have to look at doing a powershell script or something to make sure that a message get completely deleted. 

Thanks,

Chris

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:50 PM
  • Are you talking about the RTCDyn DB?

This is just dynamic info that is automatically removed after some time.  I am pretty sure if you want to delete info then you are on your own and Microsoft will not support you.

- Belgian Unified Communications Community : http://www.pro-lync.be -
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 1:41 AM
  • Hi,SQLShaw,

As Deli Pro-Lync mentioned Lync IM message are not presistent and preserved on server if you didn't deploy archiving server.For the user clients they retrieve the IM content history from Conversation History folder ,which is stored in mailbox on Exchange server,both in Outlook and Lync client.Except for deleteing the IM from outlook client maybe you can try to delete it from Exchange server,more information please check http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh243707.aspx 

Remark: You'll have to check if the privacy laws in your country allow you to perform this action without upfront permission from the users. 

Some other reference for you.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ocsmonitoring/thread/653c088f-c441-42c5-85ec-334b765aa35a/

Regards,

Sharon

Sharon Shen

******************************************************************************************************************************************************* Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community memb
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 6:05 AM
  • Hi Sharon and Deli Pro-Lync,

Sorry for such a generic basic question.  It does look like we deployed the archive server.  I am getting a little more information as time goes on.  It now looks like they want me to focus on Chat Rooms.  The project itself is to make sure that we have the ability to remove any data if there is any sort of propryatary data shared on accident.  So the information on removing data from exchange helps a ton.  Now if I can just find the chat room data. 

Thanks,

Chris Shaw

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 3:44 PM
  • Hi,Chirs,

"Chat Room" is a dedicated feature of Group Chat server in Lync,so I suppose your orginization probably deployed Lync Group Chat server and your question is removing the specific chat history from Chat Room on Group Chat server.

Group Chat History is stored in SQL database,when you log in the chat room you can view the recent chat history  (messages from previous sessions still shown in the message area on logged chat rooms) and searchable history (messages no longer shown on logged chat rooms, but still available to search).In fact,at a granular level you can view the chat content in the dbo.tblChat table of the Group Chat database on the SQL server,so maybe you can remove propryatary data from this database.

Regards,

Sharon

Sharon Shen

Thursday, February 02, 2012 8:44 AM
  • Hi Sharon and Deli Pro-Lync,

Sorry for such a generic basic question.  It does look like we deployed the archive server.  I am getting a little more information as time goes on.  It now looks like they want me to focus on Chat Rooms.  The project itself is to make sure that we have the ability to remove any data if there is any sort of propryatary data shared on accident.  So the information on removing data from exchange helps a ton.  Now if I can just find the chat room data. 

Thanks,

Chris Shaw

Hi Chris,

As an alternative suggestion, the Actiance Vantage product has the ability to prevent inappropriate content from ever being shared/posted in the first place.  This could be anything from inappropriate language, CC numbers, SS number, patient ID, Proprietary information, etc.  This solution can be used on both the Group Chat and IM messages.

Paul Toth

ptoth@actiance.com

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 9:49 PM