none
Error message occurs when logging in to Office 365 Lync after joining the local domain

Question

• Hi.

I have a customer who is using Office 365 and are joined to a local AD (Server 2003 SP2 Standard Edition).

The error message first occurs after the client computers joins the local domain, there are no error messages prior to the domainjoining.

My first reflection was that it should have something to with GPO:s, but I can't find any GPO that has anything to do with Exchange or Lync.

Facts:

• This error message occurs on all of the customers OS plattforms and architectures (XP/32bit, Vista/32bit and Win7/64bit)
    • The error message is in Swedish, I will now try to make a rough translation of the error message on the fly: "[Lync] Unable to connect to the Exchange-Server. Reconnections will be made in Lync. History, answer machine and Outlook-related functions may not be accessible or may not be updated until the connection is reestablished."
    • The error message first occurs after the client computers joins the local domain (abc.local), there are no error messages prior to joining the domain.
    • All extrernal DNS entries are correct (the external dns is delegated to Office365 online)
    • No singlelogon or such is installed on the clients or the 2003 server.

Again, Lync works without this error message before the computer is joined to the abc.local domain.

/Mattias

Monday, April 30, 2012 8:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Mattias,

Is exchange online autodiscover is working from client machine ? Can you cross check  exchange autodiscover records on local DNS ?

Thanks
    Saleesh

If answer is helpful, please hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer.

Monday, April 30, 2012 9:50 AM
  • Hi Mattias,

Is exchange online autodiscover is working from client machine ? Can you cross check  exchange autodiscover records on local DNS ?

Thanks
    Saleesh

If answer is helpful, please hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer.

Hi Saleesh NV

Thanks for the fast reply

The autodiscovery record is resolving fine on local DNS (also checked registry for autodiscovery, and it is correct).

The problem occurs wherever the client is located, so I belive it's not a local DNS problem, since it's the result when connecting from home for example when the local DC-server DNS isn't used (ISP DNS used there).

/Mattias

Monday, April 30, 2012 12:24 PM
  • Did you get a chance to go thorugh following article ?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2436962

Thanks

Saleesh

Monday, April 30, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Hi,

Please check if there is script to run on the domain PC to configured Proxy Server after the PCs are joined the domain.

In the lync client configuration information, please check the EWS information is correct.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 6:54 AM