none
Lync 2013 Enterprise - Setting up SQL mirroring for Lync Pool FE servers, Persistent Chat and Monitoring/archiving

Question

• I would like to know the steps to achieve mirroring, and would like to provide my own understanding of the process while deploying Lync enterprise.

First SQL server (Enterprise edition) will be joined to domain and then deployed for backend, another SQL for persistent chat and another one for Monitoring and archiving.

for mirroring, I have prepared also another 3 servers and joined them to domain. installed SQL Server on them. 

Now do I have to just run Lync topology and add the server's names in the mirroring part of the topology? 

I would appreciate any input

thanks

Mohammed JH

Friday, May 10, 2013 12:15 PM

Answers

• Lync 2013 directly supports mirror for the core Lync databases, as well as the monitoring and reporting databases.  You can configure mirroring for the Persistent Chat database within SQL, but Lync will not recognize and automatically reconnect the Persistent Chat database when SQL fails.  Also note that the SQL Reporting Server will not automatically recognize the failover from one server to the other.

That being said, you should just need 3 servers total to support SQL mirroring with automatic failover (if automatic failover is not desired, you do not need the Witness).

- 1 x SQL Server Standard for Primary, with Firewall ports opened to the SQL instance (or browser service), as well as port 5022 (default mirror port)

- 1 x SQL Server Standard for Mirror, with Firewall ports opened to the SQL instance (or browser service), as well as port 5022 (default mirror port)

- 1x SQL Server Standard or Express for Witness, with firewall ports opened to the SQL instance, as well as port 7022 (default witness port), NOTE that this cannot host any other Lync databases (if you have multiple pools), and if using SQL Express - you will need to enable TCP/IP for remote access

- A SQL service account which has SA permissions to all Lync instances on the above servers

- A file share where the SQL service account has read/write access

Once all the prerequisites are setup, you can configure the SQL mirror throught he Lync topology.  During the setup process, the databases will be backed up into the file share so the Mirror can restore/seed the mirror.  Most of this is handled via SQL stored procedures that Lync calls to set it all up.

• Proposed as answer by Kent-Huang Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kent-Huang Friday, May 17, 2013 9:39 AM
    Friday, May 10, 2013 5:14 PM
  • Hi 

As Phil Said you can use 3 Sql server for all your roles ( Persistent Chat and Monitoring/archiving Including Mirroring)

Yes you can use one Backend for all these Persistent Chat and Monitoring/archiving. It is not required to have one for Monitoring/archiving and other Sql for Persistent Chat. As you are installing a complete Sql server It is capable of doing this.

In 1 Sql you will define all the roles ( Persistent Chat and Monitoring/archiving )

2 Sql server will act as Mirroring server

3 Sql server will be your Witness server 

For Mirroring check this

http://howdouc.blogspot.nl/search?updated-max=2012-12-01T08:50:00-06:00&max-results=7

http://mslyncforall.blogspot.nl/

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Vote As Helpful & click on Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Monday, May 13, 2013 7:29 AM
  • I was just speaking in general terms regarding SQL mirroring requirements.  Depending on what you entered in the Lync 2013 Planning Tool, it may have different recommendations.  Here are some general guidelines:

- The following databases can be collocated on the same SQL Instance: Lync Core DBs, Lync Monitoring DB, Archiving DB, Persistent Chat DB, Persistent Chat Compliance DB

- A single SQL server can only support a single Lync 2013 Enterprise Pool

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398102.aspx

So if you are deploying a single FE Pool (call it Pool01) with Monitoring, Archiving, Persistent Chat.  All of the databases can be supported by the same SQL Server or Mirror set.  This means you would need a maximum of 3 SQL servers (see my first response) to support back-end high availability.

Then you decide to deploy a second Front End pool (Pool02), possibly in the DR datacenter with pool pairing.  You will then need another Mirror set (3 SQL servers) to support Pool02.

To sum it up - You need 3 SQL servers (2 x SQL, 1 x SQL Witness) to support Pool01.  To support Pool01 + Pool02, you will need a total of 6 SQL servers (2 x SQL - Pool01, 1 x SQL Witness - Pool01, 2 x SQL - Pool02, 1 x SQL Witness - Pool02).

Monday, May 13, 2013 6:29 PM

All replies

• Lync 2013 directly supports mirror for the core Lync databases, as well as the monitoring and reporting databases.  You can configure mirroring for the Persistent Chat database within SQL, but Lync will not recognize and automatically reconnect the Persistent Chat database when SQL fails.  Also note that the SQL Reporting Server will not automatically recognize the failover from one server to the other.

That being said, you should just need 3 servers total to support SQL mirroring with automatic failover (if automatic failover is not desired, you do not need the Witness).

- 1 x SQL Server Standard for Primary, with Firewall ports opened to the SQL instance (or browser service), as well as port 5022 (default mirror port)

- 1 x SQL Server Standard for Mirror, with Firewall ports opened to the SQL instance (or browser service), as well as port 5022 (default mirror port)

- 1x SQL Server Standard or Express for Witness, with firewall ports opened to the SQL instance, as well as port 7022 (default witness port), NOTE that this cannot host any other Lync databases (if you have multiple pools), and if using SQL Express - you will need to enable TCP/IP for remote access

- A SQL service account which has SA permissions to all Lync instances on the above servers

- A file share where the SQL service account has read/write access

Once all the prerequisites are setup, you can configure the SQL mirror throught he Lync topology.  During the setup process, the databases will be backed up into the file share so the Mirror can restore/seed the mirror.  Most of this is handled via SQL stored procedures that Lync calls to set it all up.

Friday, May 10, 2013 5:14 PM
  • Phil from your post I understand that I need 3 SQLs in total for the Databases including Mirroring and witness as well?

When I ran the Planning tool and put all the requirements including how many users will be there eventually and how many of them will use EV and so on. I got 6 SQLs in total 3 for the Actual databases and 3 for mirroring.

One for backend, One for Monitoring and one for Persistent chat. do you think I could cut this to 3 ? 

does your theory stand on using the primary SQL for all the roles including backend, monitoring and persistent chat? 

Sorry but I would like to understand more details.

thanks

Mohammed JH

Monday, May 13, 2013 7:08 AM
  • Hi 

As Phil Said you can use 3 Sql server for all your roles ( Persistent Chat and Monitoring/archiving Including Mirroring)

Yes you can use one Backend for all these Persistent Chat and Monitoring/archiving. It is not required to have one for Monitoring/archiving and other Sql for Persistent Chat. As you are installing a complete Sql server It is capable of doing this.

In 1 Sql you will define all the roles ( Persistent Chat and Monitoring/archiving )

2 Sql server will act as Mirroring server

3 Sql server will be your Witness server 

For Mirroring check this

http://howdouc.blogspot.nl/search?updated-max=2012-12-01T08:50:00-06:00&max-results=7

http://mslyncforall.blogspot.nl/

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Vote As Helpful & click on Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Monday, May 13, 2013 7:29 AM
  • I was just speaking in general terms regarding SQL mirroring requirements.  Depending on what you entered in the Lync 2013 Planning Tool, it may have different recommendations.  Here are some general guidelines:

- The following databases can be collocated on the same SQL Instance: Lync Core DBs, Lync Monitoring DB, Archiving DB, Persistent Chat DB, Persistent Chat Compliance DB

- A single SQL server can only support a single Lync 2013 Enterprise Pool

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398102.aspx

So if you are deploying a single FE Pool (call it Pool01) with Monitoring, Archiving, Persistent Chat.  All of the databases can be supported by the same SQL Server or Mirror set.  This means you would need a maximum of 3 SQL servers (see my first response) to support back-end high availability.

Then you decide to deploy a second Front End pool (Pool02), possibly in the DR datacenter with pool pairing.  You will then need another Mirror set (3 SQL servers) to support Pool02.

To sum it up - You need 3 SQL servers (2 x SQL, 1 x SQL Witness) to support Pool01.  To support Pool01 + Pool02, you will need a total of 6 SQL servers (2 x SQL - Pool01, 1 x SQL Witness - Pool01, 2 x SQL - Pool02, 1 x SQL Witness - Pool02).

Monday, May 13, 2013 6:29 PM
  • Hi,

Phil has provide a good answer for your question. In addition, you need to edit mirroring setting in Topology Builder;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj204992.aspx

Kent Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:16 AM