none
Connecting Lync client for Mac to Office 365

Question

• I have dowloaded and installed the new Lync for Mac client. The connection to our local Lync server works fine but the connection to our Office 365 enviroment does fail. I am trying to connect the same way as on our windows Lync clients by writing the Office 365 e-mail adress on both the logon adress and on the username.
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 6:20 AM

Answers

All replies

• Saturday, September 24, 2011 8:47 AM
  • Hi

your referring to the MAC Messenger, then it probably won't work. Try Office for MAC 2011. It comes with the communicator and it'll work.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 4:27 AM
  • I am not refering to the Mac messenger but the new Lync client for Mac. This is now available trough our Microsoft Volume licensing site.
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 8:07 AM
  • Hi.

Thank you for your reply. I have now tried manualy configuring the Lync client, but i am sorry to say we get the same result. The client get an error complaining on username or password. This is the same error as when i try with automatic configuration. I am shure the credentials is right while i can log on with my Windows client. This is strange while it does work with your client. Does anoyone have some troubleshooting tips? 

Sunday, September 25, 2011 8:13 AM
  • Hi,

It seems that the LYNC client for MAC won't work with Office 365 yet. Refer to the System Requirement section in below link.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/faqs.aspx#fbid=5-MH3pIzz7U

Monday, September 26, 2011 1:34 AM
  • In the system System Requirement i find info about the Copmmunicator for Mac, but i cant find any info about the Lync for Mac client.

• Edited by Kmm3 Monday, September 26, 2011 7:23 AM
    Monday, September 26, 2011 7:22 AM
  • Hi Kmm,

To be compatible with Office 365, make sure that you have the latest updates for Office for Mac 2011.

1.        Open an Office application (for example, Microsoft Word 2011).

2.        On the Help menu, click Check for Updates.

3.        Choose automatic or manual updates.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:08 AM
  • Hi,

Q. Does Communicator for Mac 2011 connect to Lync Online

A. Customers who are using Communicator for Mac 2011 will not be able to connect to Lync Online through Office 365.

As Noya suggested, you can try with the updates.

Thamara.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:12 PM
  • Hi. I checked and the office version was updated.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:21 PM
  • Thank you, but i am not running the Communicator for Mac 2011, but are running the Lync client for Mac.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:23 PM
  • Hi,

it's the same client that comes with Microsoft Office for MAC 2011

http://blog.officeformac.com/lync-for-mac-2011-released-to-manufacturing/

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:31 PM
  • I have the same issue.

Lync 2010 on a Windows 7 box works fine, Lync 2011 on Lion does not allow me to sign in. I've tried with both automatic and manual server settings but no luck...

Have you found a solutions for this problem?

Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:47 PM
  • I am sorry to say i still get the same issue as you. It would be nice if some of the people that has got it to work would post an reply.
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:39 PM
  • I have tried to use Lync on a Mac (10.6.8) and just cannot log in.

I can see on my Little Snitch network activity monitor that it connects to the server, and after that it connects to the AD server and then I get the fail message.

And there was me thinking it was going to work!

Friday, September 30, 2011 1:33 PM
  • Why would it work guys, after all there is absolutely no logic in Microsoft releasing a cloud based service like Office 365 and letting it work on anything other than Microsoft products.

What a joke

Kerry 

Friday, September 30, 2011 10:05 PM
  • I'm having the same login issues.   Did they release the client and forget to upgrade the server to support it?

They Thamara... stop posting Google searched answers about the Communicator client, we are talking about Lync 2011 - the Mac client you can download from technet...  go look for yourself, try it, then come back and help us out.

Saturday, October 01, 2011 12:54 AM
  • Hi Gopherhockey,

i was confused with the Communicator Client that comes with the Office 2011 Package. But I realize that there's a separate LYNC client available but i have no idea where to download it since according to Microsoft it say's it comes with Office 2011 package

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/enterprise/lync

I'm glad if you can tell me where to download it so i can try it out. Thanks.

Thamara.

Saturday, October 01, 2011 4:54 AM
  • We are all here in technet, which is where it was posted.   Doesn't look like RTM code to me.

Saturday, October 01, 2011 11:12 AM
  • Microsoft says that current Lync client for Mac is not supported for Office 365. They are working on a new client to support this.

http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/166/t/12853.aspx

The effort to get the client work is creating confusion and frustration for me and more important our users. It would be nice to get some official information from Microsoft if and when it is supported.

• Edited by Kmm3 Tuesday, October 04, 2011 6:05 AM
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 5:48 AM
  • It is Confirmed now by Microsoft.

Re: Connect Lync for Mac to Office365 fails

Replied to by Albert Hood MSFT Support

Hello Miguel,

At this time, Lync for Mac will not work for sign-in if you are using the Lync Online service and not Lync Server.

The recently released Lync client for Mac is for Lync Server 2010 only. The deployment guide overview, mac2.microsoft.com/.../cb562061-0159-44ca-add7-5b4afa100646, has more details on this.

We understand the possibility of confusion between Lync Online and Lync Server, and we are working on communicating the differences more clearly.

- Albert

• Marked as answer by Kmm3 Tuesday, October 04, 2011 9:52 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Kmm3 Saturday, October 08, 2011 9:23 AM
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 8:18 AM
  • Thank you. Then we can stop trying and just wait for the MS to release the next client. I hope it  would be here soon.
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 9:52 AM
  • Unfortunately, I AM using the Lync 2010 server in my environment, and I cannot get any of my mac clients to sign in to Lync when they're using VPN. 

When they're directly connected to the network, we don't have issues.  Through windows 7 VM's on the mac, no issues.  As soon as we try to use the Mac client, it attempts just hangs saying, "contacting server and connecting"

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 1:26 AM
  • While I understand your statement and it being confirmed by Microsoft, it would be important for Microsoft to clear up the message on the official Lync for Mac page. As the "possibility of confusion" is caused by the wording and mention of Lync Online.

From the page verbatim(with the text Lync Online in bold):

"What is Lync for Mac?

Lync for Mac 2011 is the new rich client for Lync users on the Mac platform and offers integrated functionality for instant messaging, presence, conferencing and voice.

Lync for Mac is designed to work with both Lync Server 2010 and Lync Online to help you:

• Control communication costs
    • Improve user productivity
    • Gain operational efficiencies
    • Collaborate effectively"

Enrique Lima | Technical Lead for Consulting Services | Apparatus, Inc. | http://geekswithblogs.com/enriquelima
    Friday, October 07, 2011 1:33 AM
  • Perhaps someone needs to update the Lync for Mac documentation which, as of this writing, specifically states the the Lync clinet for Mac DOES work with Office 365. Here is an excerpt from the deployment guide at: http://mac2.microsoft.com/help/office/14/en-us/lyncdeploy/item/9764a132-b8f1-4b28-8222-ea051224310c?category=ad1e961f-ceff-4b9f-a732-4e7fd73625f0

+++++++++++++++++

Lync for Mac support in Office 365

+++++++++++++++++

Friday, October 07, 2011 4:59 PM
  • I found an answer on Office 365 forum from Microsoft MSFT support that is is more consistent with the release information saying that both Office 365 and internal server is supported.

"I work with the Lync Online support organization at Microsoft and I want to provide some clarification on the situation with the Lync for Mac client and Lync Online. Officially the Lync for Mac client supports connecting to Lync Online. The Lync Online and Office for Mac support teams are working closely with several customers that are experiencing issues with signing-in, but we have not yet identified a definitive root cause or solution. I can assure you we are committed to fully supporting the use of the recently released Lync for Mac with Lync Online, and we apologize for the issues that some are experiencing. More information will be provided as soon as it’s available."

Link to the tread http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/167/p/12783/59574.aspx

• Marked as answer by Kmm3 Saturday, October 08, 2011 9:30 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Kmm3 Saturday, October 22, 2011 9:56 AM
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 9:30 AM
  • I am trying the Lync for MAC client in a local network and when I try to get it to connect it says it cannot connect or there may not be a connection to the Internet.  There is a connection that is working.  I can ping the server locally, and can rdp into it from the mac but cannot log in via the Lync client.

Any thoughts?

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:46 PM
  • The problem is now finaly solved :)

Microsoft has released an software update that did fik the problem with My clients. After installing the software you just have to set the internal and external server adress to sipdir.online.lync.com:443 and then it should work.

Mor information and software could be found here http://community.office365.com/en-us/b/office_365_technical_blog/archive/2011/10/21/microsoft-lync-for-mac-2011-client-update-released-today.aspx

• Marked as answer by Kmm3 Saturday, October 22, 2011 10:00 AM
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 10:00 AM
  • I wasn't able to get logged in to Office365 using Lync 14.0.1, either.  Using autoconfig (which works on our Windows desktops) would just error out with the following message: "Sign in to Microsoft Lync failed because the service is not available or you may not be connected to the internet". 

From the login menu, I went to settings.  In advanced settings, I added:sipfed.online.lync.com to the External Server Name. Then I was able to log in.

Sunday, November 20, 2011 7:13 AM
  • Thanks, Worked for me now. Remember to use you email address as the user ID login as well, not your AD username.
    • Edited by Nick Bates Tuesday, February 11, 2014 9:51 AM
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 9:50 AM