none
Lync contacts on IP phone polycom CX500/CX600

Question

• I 'm using polycom CX500 or CX600 phone with Lync 2010

When creating  a new contact in Outlook ( with several phone numbers and email address) and then adding this contact as Lync contact, I can see  this contact both in lync client and in polycom phone BUT:

-in Lync Client , I can select on the contact which field ( phone number or lync call)  I want to use . fine.

-in CX500/600, when selected "contacts" I see the added contact but I can't choose different fields: only the email address is displaying and I can only "call  the email address"... bad! :) ... Is it a Bug of Lync/Polycom or is there a way to change this?

If the contact comes from the exchange address book, I can choose fields on both (lync client an polycom) .fine.

If the external contact has no email address and a phone number, the  phone number is displaying on polycom (but not the contact name) and I can call this contact.

Is there a mean to display the Name of contact  instead of phone number on IP phone?

Does someone had the same behaviour?

I just updated the polycom with the last UC4 lync upgrade. 

thanks for your help,

Laurent

Friday, January 06, 2012 9:25 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Do you mean you can not find the phone number in Polycom CX500\600 contact card?

Before you install CU 4 update, can you see it? 

About display the Name of contact instead of phone number on IP phone, I think it is not possible to do. It looks like it is designed.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, January 09, 2012 9:57 AM
  • This is the as-designed behavior of the Lync Phone Edition client and is the same across all devices which run that client (Polycom, Aastra, HP).
    Jeff Schertz | Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | Lync MVP
    Monday, January 09, 2012 1:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you mean you can not find the phone number in Polycom CX500\600 contact card?

Before you install CU 4 update, can you see it? 

About display the Name of contact instead of phone number on IP phone, I think it is not possible to do. It looks like it is designed.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, January 09, 2012 9:57 AM
  • This is the as-designed behavior of the Lync Phone Edition client and is the same across all devices which run that client (Polycom, Aastra, HP).
    Monday, January 09, 2012 1:50 PM

Really?  So this makes the Lync contacts useless on Phone Edition as it does not have the number and the email address is obviously useless from a phone device.

I have the same problem, but it is inconsistent.  I have one contact that does show the phone number (as well as the email address), but haven't been able to figure out why it works for that one and not the others.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:44 PM
  • As far as I know, Phone numbers appears only if the contact is in the global address book  ( Contacts coming from EXchange address book)

If contacts are coming from personnal address books, only email is displayed.

I really hope that next upgrade of Lync phone edition will be able to fix that as these phones are normally used by VIP  ( in my personnal case) and  their feedbacks are not really good about that point.

Monday, January 16, 2012 3:11 PM
  • As far as I know, Phone numbers appears only if the contact is in the global address book  ( Contacts coming from EXchange address book)

If contacts are coming from personnal address books, only email is displayed.

I really hope that next upgrade of Lync phone edition will be able to fix that as these phones are normally used by VIP  ( in my personnal case) and  their feedbacks are not really good about that point.

Not true.  The one contact that is working properly in my case is my daughter and she is definitely not in the corporate GAL or Lync AB.  She only appears in my Outlook contacts.  It shows her mobile number and I am able to select it for dialling on my Aastra 6725ip phone. 
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 10:11 PM
  • I 'm using polycom CX500 or CX600 phone with Lync 2010

When creating  a new contact in Outlook ( with several phone numbers and email address) and then adding this contact as Lync contact, I can see  this contact both in lync client and in polycom phone BUT:

-in Lync Client , I can select on the contact which field ( phone number or lync call)  I want to use . fine.

-in CX500/600, when selected "contacts" I see the added contact but I can't choose different fields: only the email address is displaying and I can only "call  the email address"... bad! :) ... Is it a Bug of Lync/Polycom or is there a way to change this?

If the contact comes from the exchange address book, I can choose fields on both (lync client an polycom) .fine.

If the external contact has no email address and a phone number, the  phone number is displaying on polycom (but not the contact name) and I can call this contact.

Is there a mean to display the Name of contact  instead of phone number on IP phone?

Does someone had the same behaviour?

I just updated the polycom with the last UC4 lync upgrade. 

thanks for your help,

Laurent

Hi Yolfi,

Any luck with contact issue? we are now on CU7 but still unable to display phone number on the CX phones for outlook contacts

Friday, February 01, 2013 9:51 AM
  • I'll chime in here too - this makes the whole "integrates tightly with your Exchange calendar and contacts" story a lot less credible.  In fact, I can't even redial to these contacts from the call history.  Can anyone from Microsoft elaborate on why this is such a challenging fix?

Friday, February 08, 2013 3:04 AM
  • Also having this same issue.

And in our case also VIPs (more senior folks) not happy about it.

Only the email address shows up, and that obviously won't work as we are not making a Lync call but rather trying to call a land line or a cell phone outside of our company.

Did any find a resolution?

-chaz

Friday, March 21, 2014 6:34 PM
  • I have found a way to get information in Lync phone edition correctly.

First add the contact via webmail.

Wait for a couple of minutes. Go to the phone edition and choose to search for a contact. Then click to add to contact to the contactlist. The information will then be correct in bot Lync phone edition and in the Lync client.

If you add the contact via the Lync client it will not work.

Thursday, March 27, 2014 11:32 AM
  • That's crazy! Doesn't make any sense. Appreciate the reply though!!! Will give it a go and report back.

-chaz

Wednesday, April 02, 2014 1:05 AM