none
Call Admission Control / Subnets / MPLS

Question

• I have a couple of questions about Call Access Control.

Lets say that we have our offices setup with IP addresses like this:

Chicago uses the following subnet:  10.10.0.0 255.255.0.0 (/16), but within that there are multiple VLANs  (10.10.1.0/24, 10.10.2.0/24, 10.10.3.0/24, etc)

Can I specify the subnets for call access control as 10.10.0.0/16, or do I need to specify every single subnet that matches the PC or phone subnet exactly?

Also, the documentation is a little unclear on what to do with an MPLS WAN.  Lets say most sites have 10Mbps of bandwidth, but our datacenters have 100Mbps.  Do I just create a Network Region and then create each individual site and assign it to the same network region, and then apply a bandwidth policy to each site based on the bandwidth available?  I saw some info about creating the MPLS cloud as its own region, but I don't know if I set it up correctly.

Thank you!

• Edited by dfms Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:19 AM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:19 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Can I specify the subnets for call access control as 10.10.0.0/16, or do I need to specify every single subnet that matches the PC or phone subnet exactly?

If you want all the VLANs use same bandwidth policy, you'd better specify the subnets for call access control as 10.10.0.0/16. If you want every VLAN uses different bandwidth policy, you need to specify every single subnet for call access control.

Do I just create a Network Region and then create each individual site and assign it to the same network region, and then apply a bandwidth policy to each site based on the bandwidth available?

Yes, you are right. Do not forget to assign the subnet to every Site in the lync control panel.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, January 20, 2012 3:37 AM
  • CAC configuration allows summarizing the network sites like you're suggesting.

If you want to use Media Bypass you'll need the exact network address of each network, so you'd have to enter each /24.

If you ever plan or want to use Media Bypass you'll need to have the network addresses so you're better off doing each individual network up front.

Monday, January 23, 2012 6:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you want all the VLANs use same bandwidth policy, you'd better specify the subnets for call access control as 10.10.0.0/16. If you want every VLAN uses different bandwidth policy, you need to specify every single subnet for call access control.

Do I just create a Network Region and then create each individual site and assign it to the same network region, and then apply a bandwidth policy to each site based on the bandwidth available?

Yes, you are right. Do not forget to assign the subnet to every Site in the lync control panel.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, January 20, 2012 3:37 AM
  • CAC configuration allows summarizing the network sites like you're suggesting.

If you want to use Media Bypass you'll need the exact network address of each network, so you'd have to enter each /24.

If you ever plan or want to use Media Bypass you'll need to have the network addresses so you're better off doing each individual network up front.

Monday, January 23, 2012 6:43 PM
  • Thank you both.  Why does the Media Bypass need the exact network address?  Why isn't it smart enough to identify the subnets like CAC is?  Thats going to be a lot of fun to identify every subnet we have.
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:28 PM