none
How to add federated contact IM adress in a AD Contact

Question

• We have enrolled Windows Live Messenger at some of our B2B customers out of our domain to federate. Within our organisation, we want to add the IM adress to Active Directory for propper contact information.

We created contacts with the orgininal e-mail that is used by the customers. That isn't working well because federated contacts use IM adresses in the following format: <username>(<domain name>)@msn.com.

The Lync Federated contact FAQ says:

How do I add a Windows Live Messenger contact that has an ID containing
    a domain other than those supported by Windows Live?

A: If you are adding a Windows Live Messenger user with an account or ID
    with a non-Windows Live domain, enter the address in the following format: <user
    name>
    (<domain name>)@msn.com, where <domain name>
    is the domain name in the e-mail address of the user. For example, if you
    wanted to add ted@contoso.com, you would
    use the following format: ted(contoso.com)@msn.com. For a list of domains that
    are administered by Windows Live, see the Supported Domains section in “Known
    Issues That Occur with Public Instant Messaging After You Install Live
    Communications Server Service Pack 1” at
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=897567.

We can't add this adress as secondary e-mailadress to an Exchange 2010 contact due the strange format. Another possibilty is to use the IM-Adress field (I've succesfully testet this in Outlook).  But there's nog such field available in Exchange or Active directory.

Does anyone know how this get field availble in the Ad Contacts or has anyone a better way to achieve the same goal?

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 1:04 PM

Answers

• I don't think this is possible in AD

Maybe you can provide some sort of intranet site where users can see all the contacts and IM address, and maybe even add a sip:address link to the page to just click it?

- Belgian Unified Communications Community : http://www.pro-lync.be -

Thursday, February 09, 2012 1:02 PM
  • It is not possible to add the users with such email address to AD

I did try adding the contact using Exchange management console with a valid email address and added a secondary email address of the type SIP but the OCSLync address book generation process does not include the contact in the address book which OCS uses.

You could provide the list of partners to the user through a website so they can add the contacts to their communicator

Saturday, February 11, 2012 11:31 AM

All replies

• I don't think this is possible in AD

Maybe you can provide some sort of intranet site where users can see all the contacts and IM address, and maybe even add a sip:address link to the page to just click it?

- Belgian Unified Communications Community : http://www.pro-lync.be -

Thursday, February 09, 2012 1:02 PM
  • It is not possible to add the users with such email address to AD

I did try adding the contact using Exchange management console with a valid email address and added a secondary email address of the type SIP but the OCSLync address book generation process does not include the contact in the address book which OCS uses.

You could provide the list of partners to the user through a website so they can add the contacts to their communicator

Saturday, February 11, 2012 11:31 AM