none
Patch Tuesday KB2896300 for Outlook 2013 not pulled/installed by Windows Update

Question

• After reviewing the updates downloaded and installed by Windows Update yesterday (Tuesday, October 8), I note that KB2896300 for Outlook 2013 was never pulled from Windows Update, and therefore not installed.

This behavior was evident on two systems, both running Windows 7 SP1 x64 Ultimate and Office 2013 32-bit (MSI install).

As of now, Outlook 2013 shows in "About:"

Microsoft Outlook 2013 (15.0.4535.1006) MSO (15.0.4535.1507) 32-bit

All of my other installed Office 2013 products show:

Microsoft ProductName (15.0.4535.150x) MSO (15.0.4535.1507) 32-bit; where x=7 or 8 ...

so clearly all other Office 2013 updates were pulled and installed correctly.

Both systems in question were affected by last month's patch which caused the "missing folder pane in Outlook 2013" issue. On both systems, I uninstalled all instances of the patch that caused that issue (KB2817630), and subsequently installed the out-of-band patch that correct the issue (which brought Outlook to 15.0.4535.1006).

Why did Windows Update not pull/install KB2896300 which should have brought Outlook to 15.0.4535.1508? Should I download/install the patch manually?

I attempted to post this question on the blog entry (http://blogs.technet.com/b/office_sustained_engineering/archive/2013/10/08/october-2013-office-update-release.aspx), but it appears the moderators have not put it up yet.

Please advise. Thanks!

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 2:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

You may obtain and install KB2896300 from the link below:

Description of the Outlook 2013 update: October 8, 2013

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2896300

If any unexpected issue occurs, you may also uninstall this update as mentioned in the article.

There may be many reasons why Windows Update doesn't install the KB, it may be related to your network and software environment. If you need to know more about this, I suggest you post this question to Windows 7 Forums, they are experts in this area and I think they can provide a good answer:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?category=w7itpro

Regards.

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:03 AM
  • Melon,

Thank you for your response, but ... the questions I asked were not answered.

I know where to download KB2896300, the questions are:

1) Why didn't Windows Update pull it (in other words, was it a bug or is there a solid reason as to why it wasn't rolled out automatically), and

2) Given recent issues with Office updates and Outlook, *should* I download and install KB2896300?

If you look at the comments posted at http://blogs.technet.com/b/office_sustained_engineering/archive/2013/10/08/october-2013-office-update-release.aspx, you will note that at least one other individual has encountered the same issue. Given that I imagine very few people check to see the version numbers of their Office products after an update, that even two of us have posted means there is likely a larger number of users affected.

Thanks. be well,

Howie

Thursday, October 10, 2013 1:20 PM
  • Howard,

I checked with sustaining engineering on this issue and the update is not being held back because of any known issues.  It seems it is just not a high a priority because it does not contain any security updates.  The update contains localization, high DPI, and CVAA fixes.  If you do not want to manually pull it down now all of the fixes will be included in the November 12th update via Windows Update. 

Thursday, October 10, 2013 8:19 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Thanks,

Melon Chen

Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:48 AM
  • Thank you. I will look for the patch next month.
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 4:53 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the understanding.

Melon Chen

Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 1:39 PM