none
Lync Web App doesn't provide audio/video?

Question

• Started a call with a Lync user, then invited a couple of people to join using the meeting URL.  They were able to see the whiteboard and chat, but they couldn't access audio or video - is there no way for them to do this?  What is the point of having conferencing if external parties can't integrate a/v?
    Friday, October 01, 2010 1:25 AM

Answers

• WesLazara,

Sorry a clarification is in order. There are 3 audio support options in Lync Web App, namely:

Option 1 - the confence calls you
    The participant supplies a phone number for Lync to call back via PSTN.

Option 2 - Join using Communicator
    Users with corporate account and running Office Communicator 2007 R2 can call into the meeting via the network a là VoIP (Communicator call).

Option 3 - Dial in to the conference
    Calls (dials) in to the conference using PSTN with the information provided in the conference invitation.

More information on this topic here.

Hope this helps. Please let us know. Thanks!

TechNet Forum Moderator (Unified Communications) - http://www.leedesmond.com
    Saturday, October 09, 2010 9:27 PM

All replies

• Friday, October 01, 2010 8:28 AM
  • Not really - just looking for a definitive answer on whether or not A/V is supported in Lync Web App?
    Friday, October 01, 2010 3:56 PM

• My understanding is that similar to the Lync Attendee Console, Lync Web App supports A/V from a delegate perspective. That is to say, you can use audio, video, chat, etc. as part of the conferencing experience (not unlike in Live Meeting). However, it is not possible for example, to look or search for contacts and initiate a separate conversation using IM, audio and/or video.

Please share with us if this helps. Thanks.

Friday, October 01, 2010 7:39 PM
  • Hi Desmond, when I join a conference as a Lync Web App user, the a/v seems to be greyed out and doesn't function.  Any idea why this might be?
    Saturday, October 09, 2010 6:26 PM
  • WesLazara,

Sorry a clarification is in order. There are 3 audio support options in Lync Web App, namely:

Option 1 - the confence calls you
    The participant supplies a phone number for Lync to call back via PSTN.

Option 2 - Join using Communicator
    Users with corporate account and running Office Communicator 2007 R2 can call into the meeting via the network a là VoIP (Communicator call).

Option 3 - Dial in to the conference
    Calls (dials) in to the conference using PSTN with the information provided in the conference invitation.

More information on this topic here.

Hope this helps. Please let us know. Thanks!

Saturday, October 09, 2010 9:27 PM
  • Completely agree with Desmond Lee with the audio options for Lync web app. Also wanted to add the video aspect. Currently there is no way that the Lync web app user can join Video.

Thanks,

LakshayG

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Lakshay Gupta Thursday, April 21, 2011 1:55 AM
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 1:55 AM
  • Simple answer: Lync Web App cannot handle audio calls. Only "full" version of software can handle that.

"Full" version of software requires Lync license if I understood right.

So there is no way to have conference with external parties (with audio) inside Lync.

• Proposed as answer by savikko Thursday, June 21, 2012 8:32 PM
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:45 PM

• Small correction. Lync Attendee 2010 client (admin or user install) is free and supports audio as well as video for participants joining in a Lync Online meeting.

Please share with us if this helps. Thanks.

TechNet/MSDN Forum Moderator (Unified Communications) - http://www.leedesmond.com

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:54 PM
  • Thanks for correction.

And small addition: There is no Lync Attendee client for Mac.

So meaning then that users using OS X cannot join conference (with audio).

Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:45 AM
  • Hi all I want to tag off of this forum. My question traces back to the question asked in this thread.....Hi Desmond, when I join a conference as a Lync Web App user, the a/v seems to be greyed out and doesn't function.  Any idea why this might be?

So....the year is now 2013 and I have a Lync Server 2013 Enterprise install and am testing my client options. My question is does Lync Web App 2013 now support A/C in a meet now conference. My audio and video are still greyed out. If I read back through this thread I get the feeling that A/V isn't supported in the case I describe. Can someone let me know otherwise. And better still why my A/V options may greyed....is this by design?

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 3:29 PM

• Just saw your post in this preveious thread. The answer is Yes (Audio and Video fully supported) in a standard setup when using Lync Web App 2013 to join a Lync 2013 conference. However, the administrator or company policy may have turned this feature off.

Please share with us if this helps. Thanks!

TechNet/MSDN Forum Moderator - http://www.leedesmond.com

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 10:39 PM
  • It does not support A/V on XP or Vista.  Only Win7 and newer (and newer macs).
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 12:14 AM
  • Thanks for your replies Lee and pesospesos,

Lee I've spotted in the CsConferencePolicy the two variables AllowIPAudio and AllowIPVideo. I am yet to try these as enabled but think they may be the reason for my undoing here.

Regards,

Thursday, April 18, 2013 12:19 PM
  • Just an update - still no cigar in getting audio or video operating. Still greyed out with the message 'is video active".

When in a meet now group conversation I am using a full Lync 2010 client to start a video call. The other group member is the Lync 2013 Web app client. The active x add-in installed on first sign in so A/V redirection should work ok. 

Interestingly IM and desktop sharing work well. I've also noticed that the presence indicator for the Lync 2013 Web App is not green when viewing through the Lync 2010 Group Conversation window so this might be a clue.

Do you know of any Cs polices that may be stopping me apart from that mentioned for CsConferencingPolicy?

Thursday, April 18, 2013 2:32 PM
  • What os is the machine running web app?
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 2:34 PM
  • Hi Pesopeso, 
    I'm running the Lync 2013 Web App on Windows 8 using IE10 desktop so I should be good to go here.
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 4:32 PM
  • I see this thread was started in 2010 and last updates April, 2013. Still no answer? I having the same issues. A/V buttons greyed out on some machines running Lync Web App,  Win7, IE9 or IE10.

Anyone ever find a solution or what to search for?

Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:59 PM