none
Communicator - Always on Top?

Question

• One of the things that I don't like about the communicator client is that new windows do not pop in front of existing windows on the desktop.  Grantd, the taskbar flashes and you get an audio notification when Communicator alerts, but I haven't found a way to have he windows pop.

I've looked through the Communicator Group policies and nothing seems to match.  I've also looked at the registry and the only key I can find is the key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Communicator\AlwaysOnTop.   The key is a REG_BINARY but after searching on the net, I can't find what the values are for it..  I've tried a few things, but they don't seem to make a difference..

Does anyone have any idea on how to modify the windows so inbound notifications (IM, Call Control window, etc) pop to the foreground when a new message comes in?

Thanks!

• Moved by Kathy Slough 2Moderator Wednesday, December 16, 2009 10:40 PM forum migration (From:OC Setup & Deployment)
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 7:30 PM

All replies

• Don't you see a toaster popping up when you receive a call or an im?

A toaster similar to receiving new email in Outlook on the right lower part of the creen

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 9:54 PM
  •  

It sounds like he's getting the Toast alerts, but wants the chat window to appear on top.

That registry setting you found is probably related to this OC 2005 client setting. I've noticed a handful of registry settings that are no longer used in the 2007 client; this might be another one of those.

Monday, March 24, 2008 12:54 PM
  • I'm having similar issues. Under Windows 7, I keep missing co-workers Office Communicator pop-under chat windows. The flashing area on the taskbar is just too small, and I'd like to have a way for the windows to start opened rather than minimized but also not require that they always be on top of other windows. I'd hate to have to go buy speakers for the office just so I can know when I need to respond to a chat request.

And nope, I don't get any "toaster" alerts that look like an incoming outlook message when an Office Communicator chat begins. So what are the options?

Thursday, September 24, 2009 10:10 PM
  • Also having the same problem.  Windows 7 keeps all new messages minimized in the menu.  I always miss co-workers IM's because I don't see them!
    Monday, November 23, 2009 4:05 PM
  • Also having the same problem.  Windows 7 keeps all new messages minimized in the menu.  I always miss co-workers IM's because I don't see them!

Same problem here.  What  about setting the timeout for the toaster to a day or something?  That would be a comprimise.  Where is the registry setting for that?

Microsoft screwed this up with their regular im client a couple years back too.  I had to use a third party client at home.  Do they think everyone is at their desks all the time? 

Perhaps a 3rd party client is in order if there is no resolution.

Daryl
    motoq9c exchange activesyn
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:29 PM
  • Any update on this question? I've missed several IM's since moving to Windows 7. There should be an option at least for a poor user to change this unwanted behavior.
    Friday, April 23, 2010 12:34 AM
  • I would also like a solution to this issue.  If this cannot be done with OC, is there another program that will work with the server and give me this functionality?
    Wednesday, August 04, 2010 9:27 PM
  • Click on the tools menu on the menu dropdown at the upper left of the communicator window and then select always on top. you can do the same thing with conversation windows.

After setting this take a look at the reg key, and you might be able to deploy the setting as a GP if required.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. If the post wasn't the exact answer or was helpful in leading you to the answer, please vote it as helpful. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, August 05, 2010 6:23 AM
  • Hi,

http://ledarma.wordpress.com/2010/08/08/microsoft-office-communicator-always-on-top/

You can make the Microsoft Office Communicator window or the Conversation window always appear on top of other windows without necessarily making it the active window.

To make Communicator windows always visible

• Do one of the following:
      • In the Microsoft Office Communicator window, click View , and then click Always on Top .
      • In the Conversation window, click the Tools menu, and then click Always on Top .
    Amr
    • Proposed as answer by Andrii Veselov Monday, August 09, 2010 1:26 PM
    Sunday, August 08, 2010 11:06 AM
  • Hi,

http://ledarma.wordpress.com/2010/08/08/microsoft-office-communicator-always-on-top/

You can make the Microsoft Office Communicator window or the Conversation window always appear on top of other windows without necessarily making it the active window.

To make Communicator windows always visible

• Do one of the following:
      • In the Microsoft Office Communicator window, click View , and then click Always on Top .
      • In the Conversation window, click the Tools menu, and then click Always on Top .
    Amr

Is there any way to get the conversation window to remember this setting?   Once you close a conversation window that was set to "always on top," the always on top setting reverts to off .
    Thursday, December 09, 2010 5:53 PM
  • Just wondering if this problem is still unresolved?  Also are there any alternatives that work in place of communicator?
    • Proposed as answer by Bradley Wells Tuesday, December 04, 2012 7:35 PM
    Thursday, April 07, 2011 8:36 PM
  • Has anyone found a solution yet?

I have the same issue as the others and I need a resolution.  Could someone responsible please answer. 

The problem still is that I do not know when someone has contacted me to have a Conversation.  The window always pops up behind other windows.  Unless I'm always scanning the Windows Status Toolbar Area, I don't know about the Conversation Window until I close other windows that are on top of it.  It may take a couple of hours in some cases (I know..I get too focused sometimes  :) .  I know that when I receive an email from Outlook, it has the option to at least place a notification on Top of other other windows to let me know.

Granitor's suggestion would be a great solution. If that's not possible, even a general "Notification" pop up option would be awesome.

With any IM application, INSTANT is the key word ( I know, we already know that - just venting a little).

Any help or response would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks to All and Anyone in Advance!

Best Regards,

Dave

Friday, June 10, 2011 3:04 PM
  • This is a big problem for me as well. As RevEngineer rightly points out, instant messaging without the "instant" part is pretty useless.

Unfortunately I don't have the option of choosing another product, or I would definitely do so.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:04 PM
  • See article if you are still looking for this: http://blogs.technet.com/b/csps/archive/2011/06/14/regalwaysontop.aspx
    Cheers, Shravan
    Tuesday, July 05, 2011 7:29 AM
  • Unfortunately the article mentioned by Shravan applies only to the contact list, not to conversation windows.

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 3:04 PM
  • Yes this is such a problem with windows 7. Why does microsoft not ensure the functionality will work with its CURRENT operating systems before rolling out such poorly thought out systems!
    Thursday, September 01, 2011 8:05 AM
  • Windows 7 keeps all new IM messages minimized main active window and the flash is less.I have missed IM conversion & also some time  notified lately and responded to co-workers.

Let us know if you have any resolutio for this.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:32 PM
  • I ended up writing my own little program to pop up Lync Conversation Windows. You can download it here if you want - http://www.teklinksystems.com/Downloads/LyncMessagePopper.exe

When a message arrives, it waits two seconds, and if the window is not already focused, it will pop it open. I just wrote it, so let me know if you notice any issues with it. I tested it on XP and Win 7.

Thanks,

Amir

Friday, October 21, 2011 10:57 PM
  • Jumper4000,

This worked great! It was just what I was looking for. You the man!

Thanks!

Monday, October 24, 2011 6:01 PM
  • Jumper4000,

Thank you Thank you!  Someone has made this tool useful again!

Danny

Monday, October 24, 2011 10:11 PM
  • Jumper, good program - could you expand on the keys/script it modifies?  I'm trying to check what changes it made incase I need to revert it later.
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:29 PM
  • Not a problem guys. Happy to help... Ben, it doesn't modify anything at all. All it does is to wait for new Lync windows, and if they're flashing in the Taskbar, it activates them after 2 seconds. To revert it, all you gotta do is to kill the process "LyncMessagePopper.exe" and all traces of it are gone. 
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 2:29 AM
  • would you be interested in sharing the source code?

+Say thanks and observe basic forum courtesy:
    +If this post answered your question, Mark As Answer
    +If this post was helpful, Vote as Helpful

windowspbx blog: my thots/howtos
    see/submit Lync suggestions here: simple and public
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 4:03 AM
  • We (Modality Systems) have just launched SuperToast, which addresses the problem of missed IMs:

You can get SuperToast for free at http://www.modalitysystems.com/software

Friday, October 28, 2011 11:03 AM
  • sure, i put the source code here - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ocspresenceim/thread/0f6b05ca-6e02-48b5-a88a-ed44e3ebed1e/#9f1a043f-b732-4272-b4cb-d9d851375a0e, but this new SuperToast might be a better option. I emailed them to see if they'll let me try it.
    Friday, October 28, 2011 5:42 PM
  • W

Why isn't supertoast downloadable for free without contacting someone? I don't want to start our company using it if it's not going to be free.

rb
    Monday, November 07, 2011 4:21 PM
  • look here:
    http://www.codelync.com/2011/10/missed-ims-supertoast-to-the-rescue/

it says:

"Being the nice guys and girls we are, we’ve decided to give it away – you can get your hands on a free copy of SuperToast"

so, enjoy!

+Say thanks and observe basic forum courtesy:
    +If this post answered your question, Mark As Answer
    +If this post was helpful, Vote as Helpful

windowspbx blog: my thots/howtos
    see/submit Lync suggestions here: simple and public
    Monday, November 07, 2011 4:39 PM
  •  

We got the same complaint from many of our UC customers so we created Lync Notifier from the SDK to solve the problem.  Then we added several feature enhancements to improve the overall client experience and productivity.  What good is an Instant Message if it's not recognized "Instantly?"  The notification is now guaranteed to appear on top of all other windows and there's even a user customizable border glow to ensure it won't be missed.  And if you don't like opening the chat session window, you can use QuickReply by right clicking on the notification and responding directly.  Try Lync Notifier and tell us what you think...   

http://www.mycsdsolutions.com/notifier.html

Friday, January 11, 2013 7:01 PM
  • Does this work with Office Communicator?
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:18 PM
  • I could not get this to work with Office Communicator.  Have you tested with OC?

Thanks

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:19 PM
  • Does this work with Office Communicator?
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:20 PM
  • LyncNotifier was not designed to work with OCS, but I.m sure we can make some adjustments if the need is there.  Please email me and I'll be happy to discuss your detailed requirements.

support@mycsdsolutions.com

-James

Friday, March 29, 2013 1:56 PM
  • I wrote a script in AutoHotKey to do this with Office Communicator.  I've released the source and the compiled executable here:

https://github.com/loki980/PopOpenCommunicatorWindows

Just put the exe in your startup folder.  One caveat – if you have an existing IM window open, and a new one comes in, nothing will happen.  You have to go from 0 IM windows to 1 IM window for this to trigger.

I actually also did this for meeting reminders with MS Outlook, as they have that same problem.  I've put that version up there too.

• Edited by loki980 Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:21 PM
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:20 PM
  • Have you ever been this frustrated with a Google product?

I haven't.

MS builds half-baked software and then takes 10 years to fix it.

If ever.

Which is why MS is doomed.

14 hours 54 minutes ago