none
How to Disable the Lync IE Addon's VOIP Icon?

Question

• I would like to disable the Click to Call VOIP icon that the Lync IE Addon places next to phone numbers on the website I am working on.  Obviously, I could do this on my computer by changing the settings but my site is used by a lot of people who have Lync installed and I can't make them change their settings.  Skype has a meta tag you can place on the page to disable their addon, does Lync have something similar?
    Friday, January 06, 2012 1:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• I dont think so, unless you read up Lync SDK manuals and implement the code you find, then you will have go and disable lync addon as directed here http://imaucblog.com/archive/2011/01/07/the-lync-internet-explorer-add-on-and-browser-compatibility/
    Regards Herbert Zimbizi
    Friday, January 06, 2012 2:03 PM
  •  

Curious as to what the driver is for this? is it a UI issue or a false positive?

I'm not aware of any meta tag, Lync add-on just parses the html and 'guesses' if it's a phone number

It only picks up E.164 format, so you could put your numbers in 'local' format maybe

Tom Arbuthnot, Consultant Modality Systems
    Blog: Lync'd Up Blog Subscribe for updates: Email or RSS
    Twitter @tomarbuthnot
    Saturday, January 07, 2012 2:14 PM
  • Hi,

I think the number detection can be disabled with script. You can try to write the script then deploy it in AD Group Policy.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, January 09, 2012 8:39 AM
  • The main driver is a concern about UI issues.  At this point it's nothing major, so I guess we'll just work with what we have.  A meta tag would be nice though.
    Monday, January 09, 2012 4:06 PM
  • This is functionality is provided by an IE add-on.  Tools, manage add-ons, down in the Microsoft Corporation section - you will find Lync Browser Helper.  Disable it.
    John Weber [Lync MVP]
    • Proposed as answer by John WeberMVP Thursday, February 02, 2012 12:53 AM
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 12:53 AM
  • John, While your suggestion is accurate, its not very helpful.  Most of us reading TechNet manage many computers, not just the one we're sitting in front of.

What is needed is a means to either:

a) Install Lync without the Add-Ons

b) Manage the addons effectively through Group Policy   or

c) The ability to remove IE Add-Ons via a script that can be incorporated into a logon script or deployed via Group Policy.

The first option would be best, but is not available in the set up options.  Perhaps a custom MSI/MST solution is required.

From what I've been able to find so far, the Group Policy option is to create a white-list of acceptable Add-On CLSIDs and set the "Deny all add-ons unless specifically allowed in the Add-on List".  Maintaining this white-list would be too much work in our environment.

I would even be happy with a script option, if I could find the the options a script would need to change to remove the un-wanted Add-ons.

It would be nice if Microsoft included tools to manage their software in an enterprise when they release it.

Friday, February 24, 2012 11:01 PM
  • I agree with Jcubed, is there a enterprise solution to turn this add on off - it does not work because the site is internal and the call ability is diabled, so the icons that pop up are not useful.  If anyone has any ideas as to how to solve this please propose an answer.

• Edited by kshaw27 Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:05 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:04 PM
  • I´m looking for the same thing, an Enterprise solution to turn off the Lync Add on via registry setting which is easily deployed via Group Policy?
    Thursday, April 04, 2013 5:19 PM
  • Disable the add-on using the CLSID

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/11406.how-to-disable-internet-explorer-ie-add-ons-through-group-policy.aspx

Lync Add-on CLSID is: {31D09BA0-12F5-4CCE-BE8A-2923E76605DA}
    • Edited by BigEHead Friday, May 10, 2013 4:02 PM
    • Proposed as answer by BigEHead Friday, May 10, 2013 4:02 PM
    Friday, May 10, 2013 4:00 PM