none
Incremental Updates for Include Collection

Question

• I have a collection whose membership rule is an include collection. The collection that it is referencing is updating correctly, but the collection based on the other is not. This article states that "The include collection rule let you include the members of another collection in a Configuration Manager collection The membership of the current collection is updated on a schedule if the membership of the included collection has changed."

However, it is never updating. Any ideas? Thanks.

I have checked the colleval.log file and it shows incremental updates to collections, but no collections with include collection membership rules are referenced in the file.
    Tuesday, February 05, 2013 6:36 PM

Answers

• Devices ok, both test collections have incremental updates enabled ... I imported a computer, not a real client, and put it into All Systems, then from All Systems I pushed the record into Coll2 and it appeared in Coll1. Hardly any latency but I'm testing this on fast lab equipment.

José Luiz Schenardie comments below ... the SP1 default is Fast Evaluation enabled (incremental updates).

Can you test with a bunch of new Collections just to discount any issues with existing ones?

Rob Marshall | UK | My Blog | WMUG | File CM12 Feedback | CM12 Docs | CM12 Release Notes

Friday, February 22, 2013 9:31 PM

All replies

• Is this ConfigMgr RTM or SP1? "It is never updating"? Does it contain any members at all or are only changes not processed? What happens if you update the collection manually?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 7:41 AM
  • SP1. It does contain members. The only way I can get it to update is to Update Membership from the ribbon. My query rule collections are doing incremental updates but the include collection ones are not. I see the CollectionID in the colleval.log as:

PF: [Primary Evaluator] Process graph with these collections [P0100044, P010003F, P0100043, P010003E, P010000A, P0100020, P010003C, P010003D, P0100042, P0100040, P0100041, P010003A, P010000D, P0100014, P0100017, P0100037, P0100035, P0100034, P0100036, P010002F, P0100045]

but I do not see the individual log entry telling me that it evaluated the collection like this:

PF: [Primary Evaluator] starts to evaluate collection [P010003F]
    PF: Refreshing collection P010003F
    Results refreshed for collection P010003F, 1 entries changed.
    PF: [Primary Evaluator] successfully evaluated collection [P010003F] and used 0.124 seconds

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 12:49 PM
  • Same issue here.

Before SP1 the incremental update worked fine. With SP1 all collections that include a query based collection are only updated after a manual "Update Membership" or after the scheduled full scan.

Mario

Thursday, February 07, 2013 8:22 PM
  • I experience the same problem with incremental membership updates: collections having only include rules are not updating their membership. Collection having one or more direct members or query rules are working correctly.

I'm running SCCM 2012 SP1 and before the upgrade to SP1 everything was working correctly.

As a workaround I added a "dummy device" to each collection and membership updates started to work again as expected.

@Erich: could you check in your colleval.log if you have the following line (you can find it few lines before the line you mentioned in your previous post):

PF: Found collection ready for incremental evaluation. [ Site ID = <yourCollectionID>]

This line tell you if your collection has been selected for the incremental update cycle.

If would be nice if you could also test my workaround and confirm if it's working for you as well.

Monday, February 18, 2013 7:40 PM
  • what do you mean by a "dummy device"? My collections are fairly small, so I just changed the Full Update Schedule to 5 minutes.
    Monday, February 18, 2013 8:32 PM
  • The idea is to create a device that doesn't exist in your production environment and to add it to every collection by using a direct rule: by performing this operation I noticed incremental updates are working again.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:47 AM
  • I just tested this, two new collections, Coll1, Coll2, put two devices into Coll2 and setup an INCLUDE in Coll1 referencing Coll2. Both Coll1 and Coll2 are limited to All Systems. Coll1 showed it's two new members derived from the INCLUDE rule from Coll2, no update, just a few moment for wheels to turn ...

Are you mixing Users and Devices in these collections?

Rob Marshall | UK | My Blog | WMUG | File CM12 Feedback | CM12 Docs | CM12 Release Notes

Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:25 PM
  • Hi Rob,

In my scenario I only have Device collections.

Do you have incremental updates enabled on Coll1? What happens if you add a device to Coll2? In my environment Coll1 is not updating. moreover I don't see it listed in the list of collection selected for incremental updates in the colleval log file.

Friday, February 22, 2013 3:14 PM
  • Hello Marco

Are you aware that on SP1 the default collections turned to read only and all previous modifications before sp1 install were loosed??

I had some issues related to that change in my environment when i upgraded, because i had some chanegs on ALL System Colletion and they vanished.

Hope i could help.

MCTS - SCCM

Friday, February 22, 2013 4:33 PM
  • Devices ok, both test collections have incremental updates enabled ... I imported a computer, not a real client, and put it into All Systems, then from All Systems I pushed the record into Coll2 and it appeared in Coll1. Hardly any latency but I'm testing this on fast lab equipment.

José Luiz Schenardie comments below ... the SP1 default is Fast Evaluation enabled (incremental updates).

Can you test with a bunch of new Collections just to discount any issues with existing ones?

Friday, February 22, 2013 9:31 PM
  • I am noticing the same issue. I have ColA using a query rule and incremental updates that updates properly. I also have ColB that uses an include collections rule with incremental updates to include ColA. ColB does not update unless I manually initiate a membership update. If anyone has a solution please share.
    Friday, May 10, 2013 12:21 AM
  • Same problem here.

Example:

Collection A is a query of all machines within All Systems which are running Windows 7

Collection B is a query of all machines within All Systems which are running Windows 8

Collection C is an include collection, including Collection A and B with a limiting collection of All Systems.

Incremental updates enabled on all collections.

Collection A and B update immediately when new machines are added to the network.

Collection C does not update incrementally.

SP1 CU1 Site.

Perform a manual update on Collection C and the device appears in the collection as expected.

• Edited by Alan Dooley Thursday, May 30, 2013 11:15 AM more info
    Thursday, May 30, 2013 11:09 AM
  • Hi, has anyone raised this with MS, feels like a bug?
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:42 AM
  • Same problem here.

Example:

Collection A is a query of all machines within All Systems which are running Windows 7

Collection B is a query of all machines within All Systems which are running Windows 8

Collection C is an include collection, including Collection A and B with a limiting collection of All Systems.

Collection A and B update immediately when new machines are added to the network.

SP1 CU1 Site.

Perform a manual update on Collection C and the device appears in the collection as expected.

I'm running SP1 CU2 and I've the same problem.
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 4:55 AM
  • Same problem here.

Example:

SP1 CU1 Site.

I'm running SP1 CU2 and I've the same problem.
    I found an answer http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f773807c-4b7e-45f7-9647-e2c3359f3991/why-do-collection-incremental-updates-dont-work-for-includeexclude-rules
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 5:18 AM
  • So in other words, working as intended?
    Thursday, August 29, 2013 2:36 AM
  • this behavior changed with SP1. i did not read any Infos in the release notes.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 5:39 AM