none
Very Poor rtcdyn Performance After Applying CU4 to Lync Server

Question

• I'm not sure if this is coincedence but after applying CU4 (including the database update) suddenly our SQL Server environment (clustered 2008) is complaining about very slow write times to the rtcdyn log file and our clients are seeing a limited functionality warning, contacts dropping out, etc.  We are looking at it from a storage side but it just seems very odd that this is suddenly happening after the update.  Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Here is the error from Lync:

Failed to update Mcu health in the backend. This will be retried but if this continues to occur conferencing functionality will be affected.

Error: 0x1F7
    Cause: Possible issues with backend database.
    Resolution:
    Ensure the backend is functioning correctly.

Followed by this warning:

Pas with FQDN: mypool.mycompany.loc has been detected to be down.

Immediately (usually, but it has taken a few minutes on some occasions) after that it detects the pool as back up again.  Examining the traffic from the Front Ends it appears we are sending a lot of SMB traffic (port 445) to the cluster IP.  This is probably normal to a certain extent because of the CMS replication but in Wireshark we are seeing a lot and it is constant.

• Edited by MacGeever Tuesday, February 07, 2012 7:07 PM
    • Moved by Noya LauModerator Monday, February 13, 2012 2:01 AM (From:Planning and Deployment)
    Tuesday, February 07, 2012 3:56 PM

Answers

• I would verify if your storage is still working as expected, and if your backend SQL hasn't got any issues.

If you cannot find anything specific, I would recommend opening a ticket with Microsoft Product support.

Certified IT Professional Lync Server 2010 / Exchange 2007 - http://www.uwictpartner.be
    If you think my post is the answer to your question, please mark it as answer so future visitors can easily find it.

• Marked as answer by MacGeever Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:30 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2012 8:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Mac,

Please make sure your environment can meet the recommended hardware. Using hardware that does not meet these significant performance impacts and other problems.

In addition, Microsoft Lync Server 2010, Best Practices Analyzer is a diagnostic tool that gathers configuration rver 2010 environments and determines whether the configuration is set according to Microsoft best practices. Have a try, and hope helps.

Noya Liu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 13, 2012 2:28 AM
  • I would verify if your storage is still working as expected, and if your backend SQL hasn't got any issues.

If you cannot find anything specific, I would recommend opening a ticket with Microsoft Product support.

Certified IT Professional Lync Server 2010 / Exchange 2007 - http://www.uwictpartner.be
    If you think my post is the answer to your question, please mark it as answer so future visitors can easily find it.

• Marked as answer by MacGeever Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:30 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2012 8:46 AM