none
distribution group more than 100 members

Question

• Hello!

How can I increase limit of Lync 2010 client to show more than 100 members in distribution group?

In Communicator 2007 R2 I can do this through registry key "MaxDLExpansion".

Anton
    Monday, January 17, 2011 10:37 AM

Answers

• Anton,

Thanks for your patience, there is a client policy coupled with the server script above. See this article which was for OCS but applicable to Lync. The only problem is that the new policy has a maximum value of 150 which will not satisfy your need for 400. If your corporation has a premier contract, you can work with your Technical Account Manager to file a design change request which will require a business justification for the larger value.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945542

Tom Laciano Microsoft Program Manager UC Customer and Partner Deployment Readiness
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 3:02 PM

All replies

• In the documentation - look at the Set-CsWebServiceConfiguration PowerShell command http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398396.aspx

Get-CsWebServiceConfiguration | Where-Object {$_.EnableGroupExpansion -eq $True} | Set-CsWebServiceConfiguration -MaxGroupSizeToExpand 400

In the preceding command, the group expansion size is set to 400 for each collection of Web Services configuration settings that allow group expansion. To do this, Get-CsWebServiceConfiguration is called without any parameters; this returns a collection of all the Web Services configuration settings used in the organization. This collection is then piped to Where-Object, which selects only those settings where the EnableGroupExpansion property is equal to True. In turn, this filtered collection is piped to Set-CsWebServiceConfiguration, which takes each item in the collection and sets the value of the MaxGroupSizeToExpand property to 400.

Tom Laciano Microsoft Program Manager UC Customer and Partner Deployment Readiness
    Monday, January 17, 2011 3:36 PM
  • Hello Tom.

Thank you, but it did not help.

When I try to expand distribution group in Lync 2010 client I recieve an error: "Group is too large to display. Lync can not be used for groups with more than 100 members"

Anton
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:37 AM
  • Anton,

Thanks for your patience, there is a client policy coupled with the server script above. See this article which was for OCS but applicable to Lync. The only problem is that the new policy has a maximum value of 150 which will not satisfy your need for 400. If your corporation has a premier contract, you can work with your Technical Account Manager to file a design change request which will require a business justification for the larger value.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945542

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 3:02 PM
  • Hello,

It works for Communicator or Lync client but is there a solution for Device client as Tanjay (LG-Nortel IP Phone 8540)?

The message is "too many contacts" for a distribution group with more than 100 members.

Thank you

Aymeric

Friday, March 04, 2011 10:43 AM
  • I am not aware of a workaround for the device. I "think" this might be a decision about the experience for the form factor.

Given that the solution appears to only increase from 100 to 150, is this still a true blocker? If it is, then you would need to work with your account manager to open a design change request with business impact/justification.

Monday, March 07, 2011 8:44 PM
  • "Anton,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945542"

Why did you put this link as a valid solution for lync...

The hotfix is not applicable for a computer that runs lync, and also the registry path the kb indicates isn't valid on a machine running lync....it's obvious that the solution is for ocs only...

Rafael Monteiro
    Monday, April 18, 2011 11:07 AM
  • Rafael,

I put the link here because it was pertinent to the dialog at hand of the device for which there was "a" solution although not for this version. Also note that the forums may be renamed for Lync but they are the same ones used for OCS as well. I also noted that the article was for OCS but applicable to Lync. 

Monday, April 18, 2011 12:09 PM
  • Hi,

I have this same question from a client, currently.  What's the bottom line?  Is there a way to raise this limit higher than 100 to 150?  Or higher?  And is the client policy needed along with the server script required just to reach 150?

Thanks,
    Chris Stegh

Christian Stegh
    Monday, January 30, 2012 5:40 AM
  • I am not seeing any updates for this issue for any of the client versions. Until the issue is raised through support as a deployment blocker I expect this will not get fixed.

One frustrating thing to keep in mind is that when issues for a corporation are reviewed and prioritized the items that impact business operations and the greatest number of people are the ones companies ask for, this issue while a pain I suspect is one that companies would lower the priority on when push comes to shove.

Remember though - I don't own the decision to accept/reject so if you want it fixed work through the support process, ideally through your account manager if you have one.

Tom Laciano Microsoft Program Manager Lync Online - Dedicated
    Monday, January 30, 2012 4:25 PM