none
Lync 2010 VHD Trial Program has expired certificates

Question

• I recently downloaded the Lync 2010 trial VMs from here: 

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26217 

After I brought up the VMs none of the clients in the VMs were connecting. I found in the LYNC-SE VM that the "Lync Server Front-End" service and several others weren't started. When I try to manually start the service it fails and I see the following in Event Viewer:

"Unable to use the default outgoing certificate"

"Error 0x800B0101 (A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.).

Cause: The certificate may have been deleted or may be invalid, or permissions are not set correctly."

I looked up the certificate issued by FabrikamCA and it looks like it expired on 12/27/2012. Does anyone know how to extend this? Or does Microsoft need to provide a new certificate?

Monday, January 28, 2013 5:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can try to find the Lync Server certificate and renew this certificate on CA server.

Kent Huang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by alexp03 Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:15 PM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:15 AM

All replies

• Microsoft would need to renew the cert and then re-publish. I would not expect this to happen so either use your own certs or wait until the 2013 VHDs are published which should be within the next couple of months.
    Monday, January 28, 2013 8:25 PM
  • Hi,

You can try to find the Lync Server certificate and renew this certificate on CA server.

Kent Huang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by alexp03 Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:15 PM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:15 AM
  • Thanks Kent, I generated my own certificates and was up and running in no time :)
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:15 PM
  • Hi,

I have the exact same problem, and was wondering how you generated your own certificates ? I tried doing it on my own but it wouldn't work...

Thanks

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:38 AM