none
About trusted host and vmr registration

Question

• Schertz talked about the vmr registration on  "http://blog.schertz.name/2011/05/rmx-virtual-meeting-room-registration-in-lync/".

"The password value and policy is also not important as the RMX does not utilize the individual passwords of each AD user account during registration.  By leveraging the Trusted Application configuration detailed in the deployment guide the RMX is able register as any existing Lync user without that account’s individual password since it is a trusted host".

My question is :

1.The requirement of VMR registration without authentication is that I have set the tursted application on lync server. But i learned the trust relationship only be enabled when there is call route from lync to RMX. So after create the trusted application, Should I have to start a call from lync client to join the RMX conference ? I know only lync server can start the trust relationship negotiation.

2.If the trusted relationship is enabled between Lync server and RMX, the relationship will be expired? or it is always enabled if no network errors.

3.Can i use the VMR registration and Static route together? So Lync client can call the meeting room sip uri which registed with lync server or vmrID@matchuri through the static route to join the RMX conference ?

Saturday, February 11, 2012 2:03 AM

Answers

• Trusted Application Endpoint is as good as any other Lync Server endpoint there is no need to start a call from lync client to join the RMX conference.

Trusted Relation Does not expire.

Static Routing routes Sip Requests and Responses based on defined filter.

-Santosh

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:07 AM
    1. Static Routes are not used during VMR registration and do not apply to registered endpoints using actual Lync accounts whihc have the SIP URI defined within Active Directory.
    2. I don't understand this question.  The Trust Relationship simply means that Lync trusts connections from the defined host, I think you are over-complicating this concept.
    3. Yes, both can be configured and if the SIP URI is defined in AD on a Lync user account then the call will only work if the VMR is registered (just like any other Lync endpoint).  For any SIP URIs which do not exist on Lync users then the static route will be used to send the call (no presence seen).

Jeff Schertz | Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | Lync MVP

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I think if you post your question to Schertz's blog, you can get more help from the MVP.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 2:12 AM
  • Trusted Application Endpoint is as good as any other Lync Server endpoint there is no need to start a call from lync client to join the RMX conference.

Trusted Relation Does not expire.

Static Routing routes Sip Requests and Responses based on defined filter.

-Santosh

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:07 AM
    1. Static Routes are not used during VMR registration and do not apply to registered endpoints using actual Lync accounts whihc have the SIP URI defined within Active Directory.
    2. I don't understand this question.  The Trust Relationship simply means that Lync trusts connections from the defined host, I think you are over-complicating this concept.
    3. Yes, both can be configured and if the SIP URI is defined in AD on a Lync user account then the call will only work if the VMR is registered (just like any other Lync endpoint).  For any SIP URIs which do not exist on Lync users then the static route will be used to send the call (no presence seen).

Jeff Schertz | Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | Lync MVP

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:50 PM