none
Lync 2013 keeps popping up

Question

• Hi

I installed Lync 2013 client today as part of the office 2013 install.  The Lync client keeps randomly popping up on my screen even though I have minimized to the taskbar.

I'm on Windows 7.  We have Lync 2010 and I am signed in.

Any ideas how to stop this annoying behavior?

Thanks

• Moved by Max MengMicrosoft contingent staff Friday, November 02, 2012 1:44 AM moving to a more appropriate forum (From:Office 2013 and Office 365 ProPlus - IT Pro General Discussions)
    • Moved by Jeff SchertzMVP, Moderator Friday, November 02, 2012 11:02 AM Wrong Forum (From:Lync Server 2013 Preview)
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 12:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

We've also noticed the same issue on some of our client PC's after upgrading to Lync 2013.  What we noticed is that there are a load of DCOM errors in the system event log at the time of the 'popups'.  Whilst I've not had a chance to prove this yet, I suspect that the install of Office 2013 followed by the uninstall of Lync 2010 has unregistered a needed component.

It's possible that a repair install of Office 2013 will reregister the component and allow Lync to work without the annoying popups.  You should be able to do a repair install from 'Programs and Features', selecting 'Office 2013 Professional' and then clicking 'Change'.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 4:30 PM
  • Uninstall Lync 2010 and sign in with Lync 2013 client.

Ema.

Friday, November 02, 2012 9:54 AM

All replies

• Did you mean you sign in with Lync 2010 and Lync 2013 at the same time?

As I know, you can only run one instance at a time.

Or Lync 2010 works correctly while Lync 2013 keeps randomly popping up?

Friday, November 02, 2012 7:00 AM
  • Uninstall Lync 2010 and sign in with Lync 2013 client.

Ema.

Friday, November 02, 2012 9:54 AM
  • I keep having the same thing happen on my Windows 7 machine.  Lync 2013 client randomly pops up from the systray.  I had the Lync 2010 client but uninstalled it so just running Lync 2013 client now.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff Holliday, MCTS - Principal Architect - Collaboration - Insight

Friday, November 02, 2012 4:12 PM
  • Did this issue happen in other computer?

How about changing another user to sign in?

Try to uninstall and reinstall Lync 2013.

Monday, November 05, 2012 2:45 AM

• You can run either Lync 2013 RTM or Lync 2010 and optionally Lync 2013 for Win 8 (MX App) at the same time. Uninstall of Lync 2010 will not happen auto with the installation of the full Lync 2013 client as part of Office 2013 RTM setup. Ensure that Lync 2012 Preview, if previously installed, has first been removed.

Please share with us if this helps. Thanks.

TechNet/MSDN Forum Moderator (Unified Communications) - http://www.leedesmond.com

Monday, November 05, 2012 1:25 PM
  • I am seeing the exact same thing after upgrading today. Except I have noticed that it only happens when I use other Microsoft apps such as Word or Excel. When I open the app Lync pops up right along with it.
    Tuesday, November 06, 2012 12:17 AM
  • Hi,

We've also noticed the same issue on some of our client PC's after upgrading to Lync 2013.  What we noticed is that there are a load of DCOM errors in the system event log at the time of the 'popups'.  Whilst I've not had a chance to prove this yet, I suspect that the install of Office 2013 followed by the uninstall of Lync 2010 has unregistered a needed component.

It's possible that a repair install of Office 2013 will reregister the component and allow Lync to work without the annoying popups.  You should be able to do a repair install from 'Programs and Features', selecting 'Office 2013 Professional' and then clicking 'Change'.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 4:30 PM
  • I had the same issue on both a Win7 and a Win8 RTM box I just finished building.

Both had Office 2010 fully uninstalled and were then rebooted.

Fix in both cases was to run the repair on Office 2013 from the add/remove programs box.

There must be something dud either in the Office 2010 uninstaller or the Office 2013 installer. I think the 2010 uninstaller is leaving something behind and it gets removed but not replaced by the 2013 installer.

• Proposed as answer by OzFlipper Thursday, November 08, 2012 2:43 AM
    Thursday, November 08, 2012 2:43 AM
  • This resolved my issue.  I, too, uninstalled Lync 2010 after installing Lync 2013.  After repairing Office 2013 through Programs and Features, Lync stopped popping up.

Monday, November 12, 2012 1:38 PM
  • Do you or did you have the Lync Attendant installed on any of those machines? (Seperate from Lync Client).

I too, am having the same issue, even on one laptop that is Win8, and brand new with ONLY Office 2013 (Technet) having been installed, and have confirmed settings for minimization are equal to the previous Lync client. Reapir has not worked on any of the machines. It is driving me bat-s&#t.. :)

Tweo of the Win7 machines ( one x86 one x64) both had the attendant installed, and the lync planning tool installed. Both were removed, and a repair was done on Office.. Still no luck. Guess is there are some bits of 2010 hiding out...

Any other ideas? Willing to spend some time working on it. As you, only happens when other Office 2013 applications are opened or executed.

• Edited by BrianBell Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:28 PM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:22 PM
  • I have both Lync 2010 and 2013 installed with the same problem.  It was corrected by simply running the Repair Office 2013 Pro from the control panel...change programs...etc. 
    Monday, April 15, 2013 2:31 PM
  • I have the same problem: Lync 2013 keeps popping up after repairing Office 2013 installation. I have tried:

1. Repair Office 2013 installation.

2. Uninstall and install Office.

3. Install updates via Windows Update.

No luck. Do You have any ideas?

Best Regards [b]Robert Mandziarz[/b]

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 5:47 AM
  • We have a bunch of people at the office who are having the same problem, the repair install hasn't done anything. We get partial relief from telling lync to not start in the foreground.  But it still pops up whenever folks open Word, Excel or powerpoint.

We installed everyone from the O365 portal version of office 2013 two weeks ago.

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 9:42 PM
  • I'm having the same issue on a fresh install of Windows 8 and Office 2013. No previous versions of Office are installed. Lync seems to pop up whenever a program or site wants to query somebody's online status.
    Monday, June 03, 2013 9:33 AM
  • I also have lync 2010 and office 2010 running on xp , and also lync keeps popping up irregular. If i have one of the office products open, the software freezes and i cannot use word, excel for a few minutes anymore.what is the cause of this?

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 8:39 AM
  • Same thing here one of my client runs Lync 2010, Office 2010 and Ms CRM 2011 outlook client and the Lync window keeps popping over all the windows  when running an Office app.

I have tryed : Repair, Full uninstall, Reinstall, Windows updates, change user.

Any tips will be appreciated

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 1:26 PM
  • Same thing here. Never used Lync 2010, and tried pretty much everything. Lync opens up whenever I use an Office application or Internet Explorer. It keeps quiet when using another browser, so it may be Microsoft-related only.

Lync also crashes on exit every time and always tries to restart itself.

• Edited by dpelchat Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:58 PM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:56 PM
  • Same thing here. Never used Lync 2010, and tried pretty much everything. Lync opens up whenever I use an Office application or Internet Explorer. It keeps quiet when using another browser, so it may be Microsoft-related only.

Lync also crashes on exit every time and always tries to restart itself.

Update: I am running Lync 2013 as administrator and all of my problems are gone. Lync no longer opens all the time nor does it crash on exit. You mileage may vary but worth a try !
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 3:58 PM
  • I've been subscribed to this thread for a while now and it's interesting to hear how many other folks are affected by this.

We had this ever since pushing out the 2013 client and right up until we deployed KB2817465 which by pure chance (and thank God) resolved it.  Up until then we had been doing manual installation repairs which is less than ideal.

Even though the problem has gone I'm not sure we can recover from the damage that this issue has done to the reputation of Lync 2013.  It's a real shame to hear so many of my users asking for Lync 2013 to be uninstalled.

/Off topic.  We are also affected by Lync crashing upon close.  Every single time.  To me the 2013 client just seems way more buggy than the 2010 client which was 'rock-solid' by comparison.

Looking forward to more performance fixes in the future.

Graham

• Edited by Birtybasset Wednesday, August 28, 2013 4:17 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Mic_Ghigliotti Friday, September 13, 2013 7:52 AM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 4:17 PM
  • Hi Graham

I just installed the  KB2817465 update.

And the popup problem seems resolved.

Thks

Michele

Friday, September 13, 2013 7:55 AM
  • dpelchat's suggestion to run as an Administrator was the only thing that seemed to work for me and eliminated the annoying Lync window pop up and task bar icon flashing whenever another MSO app is used.  All other suggestions proposed here had no effect (e.g., perform Microsoft Office 2013 repair, KB2817465 already installed).  Seems like there's some fairly pervasive bug here.
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:11 PM
  • I have this same issue with Lync popping up AND crashing on various computers.

The computer I am posting from has Lync popping up. Office 2007 and 2010 were both installed on this machine. I uninstalled both (through Control Panel > Add / Remove Programs). Can't get Lync to stop popping up. Repair does not work.

On my other laptop, Lync crashes (and Outlook). On this laptop, I did an Office uninstall using a removal tool recommended by Microsoft. I installed a fresh copy of Office 2013 (this time not from O365). I cannot stop Lync from crashing. However, I did get Outlook to stop crashing but must run OL in safe mode.

Caution: Once I ran Lync in Safe mode [Lync / Safe from Run Command] Outlook started crashing again. Seems OL and Lync run into each other somehow, but not on all computers.

My third laptop has no issues with Office 2013 (from O365 deployment) at all!

Help! What do we do? Repair doesn't work. Clean uninstalls do not work! Needless to say, I am super frustrated.

Microsoft strikes again (sounds like a movie)... :(

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 4:29 PM
  • after installing patch KB2825630, the issue is gone from my computer
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 12:17 AM
  • After today's updates which includes KB2825630, I removed "run as admin" and Lync no longer crashes. Still pops up annoyingly.

It seems that every time the popup occurs, I get a "The Software Protection service has completed licensing status check." in the event viewer.

• Edited by dpelchat Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:51 PM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:48 PM
  • What about if this is happening when there was no Lync 2010 install prior?

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 8:38 PM
  • This issue has been resolved on my laptop after a repair of Office 2013.

Thanks,

Marta

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 7:37 AM
  • Neither of the suggestions is working for me.  We are on Microsoft 365 Exchange and some have Office 2013 Click to Run and some have Office 2010 install and some of my employees have Lync 2010 and they are having the same issue as well.  Lync pops up so much it is interfering with work.  Please help Microsoft!

Thanks,

Deborah

Saturday, January 18, 2014 1:31 PM
  • Ah, here we are in Feb. 2014 with the same annoying issue.

We are running Win 7 Pro w/Office 365 Small Business Premium.  Lync 15.0.4551.1508 32-bit.  Have never used or installed Lync 2010.

Lync pops up intermittently, especially when another Office application is used.  

Have tried -

1) Repair Office

2) Online Repair Office

3) Uninstall, clean registry, reinstall Office 365

4) Clean boot

At this point, Lync is unusable.  Will stick with Openfire Spark until this old, old, old issue is resolved.

Friday, February 21, 2014 10:46 PM
  • This is still an issue no matter what I've tried.
    • Proposed as answer by fuji01 Tuesday, February 25, 2014 8:01 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by fuji01 Tuesday, February 25, 2014 8:01 PM
    Monday, February 24, 2014 2:35 PM
  • i have had this problem also

lync 2013 only site so no lync 2010 was ever installed.

lync pops up when you are using other programs

another tell tale sign is if you try and create a lync meeting in you outlook calendar it hangs for a minute then throws an error message

the only solution i have been able to find that works is to give the user a new windows profile

neil donaldson

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 11:57 AM
  • Create a new user profile to instantly fix it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile

Monday, March 31, 2014 9:46 AM
  • Not to keep the thread alive, but lets keep it alive....I had this happen to me yesterday, Aug 18th 2014 on a fully patched Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64-bit Update 1 and Office 2013 SP1 32-bit install.

Around 3pm Lync on its own, started going crazy, popping up, overriding any other app, aka it took priority in the foreground.  I quit it, relaunched.  No difference, I restarted, no difference, I quit it, I restarted again no difference.  Extremely annoying.  I found this article, and ran a repair on Office 2013, I restarted, and so far no annoying pop up of Lync. 

Just to note, no changes, updates, additions, removal of software was made to this machine.  Very odd behavior on Lync's part.  FYI, Lync is version 15.0.4641.1000

16 hours 6 minutes ago