none
Install Lync 2010 SE in multi-site Topology

Question

• Hi Team,

I have successfully rolled Lync 2010 SE with Archiving and Monitoring and SQL 2008 backend. This 'Site' (UK)looks after our UK customers. (IM / Presence only)

I want to install another Lync 2010 SE Server to look after our european customers. IT's in a different datacenter but can talk back to the 'UK' Lync server. I am not sure on the best methodology to do this. It is all under a single Forest/Domain.

• Do I create another Lync 'Site' (eg called Europe)? - looks like it would be a new Central Site??
      • or do I create a new front end pool agsint the existing site?
      • Can I have the second Lync server talk to the same SQL backend as the UK Lync server?
      • Can I connect to to the existing monitoring and archving servers also?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 2:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks
    Saleesh

If answer is helpful, please hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 3:50 PM
    • Yes. The FE pool FQDN is the new FE server FQDN
    • Yes, you can use the same FE server as the CMS store. 
    • once you add a new FE server pool in topology, just run the deployment wizard on the hardware and run add/remove server components from deployment wizard.  

Please note that this pool will have separate external web services URL. you cannot use the URL that you use for the 1st FE server

Thamara. MCTS, MCITP Ent Admin, Specialized in U.C Voice OCS 2007 R2 Z-Hire -- Automate IT Account creation process ( AD / Exchange / Lync )

• Marked as answer by SCCM4EVA Tuesday, October 09, 2012 10:55 AM
    Monday, October 01, 2012 12:00 PM
  • Hi,

When you enable a user , you should select the Lync pool you wanted to associate the user. You will get a drop down to select the pool. Once you assigned a pool to user , he will get registered with that specific pool (FE server) by default.

Thanks

Saleesh

If answer is helpful, please hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer.

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 9:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks
    Saleesh

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 3:50 PM
  • Hi,

Are all users part of the same AD domain?

http://lync2010tips.blogspot.com - ucottonk@hotmail.com - If this post has been useful please click the green arrow to the left or click 'Propose as answer'

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:34 PM
  • Hi Saleesh,

Sorry been away for a few days. Thanks for the reply. So do I

1. right click on Lync Server and choose 'New Central Site'? (call it Europe)

2. or under my exisiting site / Standard Edition Front End Server / right clikc and choose 'New Front End Pool'

Then do I run the deployment wizard on the new windows server?

Thanks

• Edited by SCCM4EVA Monday, October 01, 2012 9:53 AM
    Monday, October 01, 2012 9:24 AM
  • YEs Tom, all under the same forest/domain
    Monday, October 01, 2012 9:24 AM
  • hi,

• you need to deploy another Front end pool in the same site. you cannot have 2 central sites since only one of FE servers can hold the CMS.
    • Yes, all the call details and QoE data from that Front End pool will be available in back end SQL Server.

you need to make sure that internal network between sites are not blocked. All required ports should be fully opened.

Thamara. MCTS, MCITP Ent Admin, Specialized in U.C Voice OCS 2007 R2 Z-Hire -- Automate IT Account creation process ( AD / Exchange / Lync )

• Proposed as answer by Thamara.WijesingheMVP Monday, October 01, 2012 9:54 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by SCCM4EVA Monday, October 01, 2012 11:35 AM
    Monday, October 01, 2012 9:53 AM
  • OK - thanks - I am now looking at this MS article based on your reply (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398342.aspx) - is this correct?

• so my FQDN will be the new server in the european datacenter
      • Do I use a new SQL store and instance? - Can I use the same SQL Server as current SE FE server?
      • Once completed do I then run the install wizard on the new server? 

thanks

Monday, October 01, 2012 11:35 AM
    • Yes. The FE pool FQDN is the new FE server FQDN
    • Yes, you can use the same FE server as the CMS store. 
    • once you add a new FE server pool in topology, just run the deployment wizard on the hardware and run add/remove server components from deployment wizard.  

Please note that this pool will have separate external web services URL. you cannot use the URL that you use for the 1st FE server

Monday, October 01, 2012 12:00 PM
  • Thamara thanks,

So, in order to get users in europe to log into the european server, (and only uk into the current uk)  is this configured inside Lync Control Panel / Network Configuration? (at the mmoment it's only the default Global everywhere) - Or is it in the Registrar Pool when editing / creating a user.

• Edited by SCCM4EVA Monday, October 01, 2012 1:59 PM
    Monday, October 01, 2012 1:53 PM
  • Hi Team,

Anyone able to assist here please? - Just woindering how to get users to log into one server and not the other?

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 9:04 AM
  • Hi,

When you enable a user , you should select the Lync pool you wanted to associate the user. You will get a drop down to select the pool. Once you assigned a pool to user , he will get registered with that specific pool (FE server) by default.

Thanks

Saleesh

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 9:33 AM
  • Thanks you everyone for your help, I successfully installed the second Lync server (used this article to help with certificate) and is running fine.

http://www.ocspedia.com/fe/Install_Microsoft_Lync_Server_2010.aspx?ArticleID=103

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 10:54 AM