none
Additional Std Edition Lync servers

Question

• A couple of short questions regarding additional Lync SE servers. I already have the 1st SE up and running, I want another one.

Do I need to create another CMS file share for this 2nd SE ?
    Or do I simply re-use the share from the 1st SE server ?

And what about the Master XDS on the 1st SE server ?
    Do I need another new master XDS for the 2nd SE server ?

Since SE has 1 server per pool, compared to EE which has mutiple servers per pool, does this also mean SE uses seperate share and XDS database per pool ?

Edit : Looks like I only need 1 Master XDS database per ORG. Just not sure about if a new share is needed for each server.

• Edited by THX1138RLW Friday, April 27, 2012 5:48 PM
    Friday, April 27, 2012 2:56 PM

Answers

• Assuming that you use the SE servers as the file share holders, you can use the same share as well but having two separate shares would be a better solution. In case the server that holds the first share goes down, you don't have the second FE affected by the problem.

There could be only 1 CMS in a topology which stores all the topology and configuration details, and the rest of the servers hold a replica of the database on their local configuration stores (SQL Express)

Just deploy the second server with a separate file share, and you are good to go. But if you have a highly available file share on a separate server, then it would be a better idea to use the same share for the second SE pool.

Friday, April 27, 2012 7:53 PM
  • Hi,
    Agree with Turgay, you can use the same share folder from the 1st SE server.
    The Central Management store (CMS) operates as a single master with multiple replicas. In every Lync Server 2010 deployment there is a single master Central Management store and all servers running Lync Server have a local replica of the Central Management store. All updates to the Central Management store are first performed at the master. The update is then replicated to all replicas. Thus, we do not need new CMS master for the 2nd SE Server.

For details about CMS:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/jenstr/archive/2010/10/13/what-is-central-management-store-cms.aspx

Regards,
    Kent

Monday, April 30, 2012 5:30 AM

All replies

• Assuming that you use the SE servers as the file share holders, you can use the same share as well but having two separate shares would be a better solution. In case the server that holds the first share goes down, you don't have the second FE affected by the problem.

There could be only 1 CMS in a topology which stores all the topology and configuration details, and the rest of the servers hold a replica of the database on their local configuration stores (SQL Express)

Just deploy the second server with a separate file share, and you are good to go. But if you have a highly available file share on a separate server, then it would be a better idea to use the same share for the second SE pool.

Friday, April 27, 2012 7:53 PM
  • Hi,
    Agree with Turgay, you can use the same share folder from the 1st SE server.
    The Central Management store (CMS) operates as a single master with multiple replicas. In every Lync Server 2010 deployment there is a single master Central Management store and all servers running Lync Server have a local replica of the Central Management store. All updates to the Central Management store are first performed at the master. The update is then replicated to all replicas. Thus, we do not need new CMS master for the 2nd SE Server.

For details about CMS:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/jenstr/archive/2010/10/13/what-is-central-management-store-cms.aspx

Regards,
    Kent

Monday, April 30, 2012 5:30 AM