none
what's next after FE... Edge or ...?

Question

• Dear friends..

first of all i am sorry as i am new to this.. and i am learning myself in a lab environment .. so please excuse me for my long and may be stupid questions ...!!!

it all started here... http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ocsplanningdeployment/thread/a17c338e-ec5c-4b07-ab86-7b1749ebe19c/ when a forum member named madhushka .. helped me loads to setup my FE .. i am able to do internal IM... but now i am bit confused on my next step .. as whats next..

how can i do external IM... like how those users will connect... i learnt there is a role called EDGE .. which need two LAN cards .. most important public CA certificate ... and so on .. and i thnk this can help me in public IP .. but i am still not very sure on the steps .. like how to move in stepped manner.. any help on this .. is this right way or do i need to move to another thing first.. plz guide..

secondly my primary requirement is still the same which started with my first post.. on lync forum .that i want to setup public webinar .. so for that what all i need.. how many servers.. what roles .. any guide or link which can guide me on this ... again if possible in stepped manner.. plz.

was reading about edge and got few questions if someone can help me clearing these...

1. What kind of certificate do i need... wild card.. ? which server will generate the CSR...? Edge or FE or other.

2. then the same certificate would be used on all machines... to request and assign ... not sure plz advise..

3. Do i need only one certificate ..i thnk if i can go with wildcard then yes.... correct me if i am wrong.

4. for webinar & web-confrencing .. what do i need... hardware..

5. Lync Im client is paid ...? it gives a trial version .. not available on SPLA partner web also .. is it included in Lync server download package. or need to be purchased extra.

6. Edge server...? what exactly it can do for me .. any real life example.. like some scenario ..

i know this is bit long .. and i know i can find some long and huge books on the same .. reaching here means i can ask people from industry and their experience.. please guide

thanks for the time and help

Thanks
    Happiness Always
    Jatin

• Edited by 'Jatin' Sunday, April 29, 2012 5:43 PM
    Sunday, April 29, 2012 5:42 PM

All replies

• Monday, April 30, 2012 5:46 AM
  • Hi Jatin,

here is the answer for your questions.

1. What kind of certificate do i need... wild card.. ? which server will generate the CSR...? Edge or FE or other. - you can purchase trusted UC Cert for your edgewith at least more than 5 SAN. Edge Server Role will generate the request file.

2. then the same certificate would be used on all machines... to request and assign ... not sure plz advise.. - the public certificate will be use for external connectivity. the rest of the server role will be using internal certificate.

3. Do i need only one certificate ..i thnk if i can go with wildcard then yes.... correct me if i am wrong. - wild card certifiate is some how supported. more details how it works follow this link http://blog.schertz.name/2011/02/wildcard-certificates-in-lync-server/

4. for webinar & web-confrencing .. what do i need... hardware.. - dont quite understand what you mean.

5. Lync Im client is paid ...? it gives a trial version .. not available on SPLA partner web also .. is it included in Lync server download package. or need to be purchased extra. - Lync Client is not Free. as SPLA Partner, you should check with your PAM.

6. Edge server...? what exactly it can do for me .. any real life example.. like some scenario .. - Edge Server Role is let your users to be connected from external network(internet), it can also allow you to federate with other companys who already deployed Lync, OCS or Lync Online. if license permit, it can also allow you to federate with MSN, Yahoo & AOL.

hope this help. :)

If answer is helpful, please click the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer.

Monday, April 30, 2012 7:53 AM

• This may help you to get up to speed with the various features in Lync Server 2010:

- Deploying Lync Jump Start Video Series

Do share with us if t his helps. Thanks!

TechNet/MSDN Forum Moderator (Unified Communications) - http://www.leedesmond.com

Monday, April 30, 2012 7:55 AM
  • Thanks David for the perfect reply ..

for point 4 ... i want to do webinars and web conferencing with lync... i know this is not directly possible i thnk .. can you suggest how can i do the same ...

secondly then today i am trying to setup my edge it is not showing mi options to configure FQDN for webconf & av/video conf on the external FQDN conf page for edge pool configuration...  any idea .. if i missed something while setup.

.. am i doing the right step .. setting up edge server ... my FE setup is based on this link...

and one small doubt.. when i am creating a new edge role .. its asking me for new topology.. open old .. and one more option there... which one do i need to select.. i thnk i need to open the current topology which i am using .. but how can i check which topology i am using .. because when i was preparing my lab i have many topology files in same folder .. now i am bit confused which one is my working topology .. plz advise

Thanks
    Happiness Always
    Jatin

• Edited by 'Jatin' Monday, April 30, 2012 8:14 AM
    Monday, April 30, 2012 8:14 AM
  • hi Jatin,

as for point 4, lync can do web conferencing as well.

as for deployment of Edge, you may want to refer to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398918.aspx

hope this help.

If answer is helpful, please click the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer.

Monday, April 30, 2012 8:19 AM
  • thanks David .. will surely mark yours as answer when i complete the setup of edge ... as for now i removed it as proposed answer...can you guide how can i do web confrencing and webinars

Thanks
    Happiness Always
    Jatin

• Edited by 'Jatin' Monday, April 30, 2012 8:28 AM
    Monday, April 30, 2012 8:28 AM
  • hi Jatin,

since you already install FE, and also the lync client.

internal, you can have the conferencing by starting from Lync Client or Outlook 2007/2010.

for external, you require your edge server to be up.

hope this help

Monday, April 30, 2012 8:34 AM
  • my edge it is not showing mi options to configure FQDN for webconf & av/video conf on the external FQDN conf page for edge pool configuration...  any idea .. if i missed something while setup.

MARK AS USEFUL/ANSWER IF IT DID

Thanks
    Happiness Always
    Jatin

Monday, April 30, 2012 8:44 AM
  • Hi Jatin,

follow this documentation. it will help you understand better.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398918.aspx

Monday, April 30, 2012 8:47 AM