none
Cannot sign in because the server is temporarily unavailable

Question

• Hi There,

I am getting the error message "Cannot sign in because the server is temporarily unavailable.  If the problem persists, contact your system administrator."  I know this is a common connectivity error, but I believe this is due to something else.  We just upgraded our domain controllers, and the functional domain level to Windows Server 2008 R2.  The problem seemed to happen just after that.  Let me give some details of our setup.  The Office Communicator server is at another location, an entirely different windows domain.  Other users connecting to the server (not from our office, other offices) can connect fine to that Office Communicator server.  It just seems to be with our setup, particularly with domain logged in users.  We have been able to connect no problem in the past, just seemed to happen after the domain upgrade.  I can login locally to the workstations, outside the windows domain, and can connect no problem to Office Communicator server.  So, I thought it was the Office Communicator GPO pack that I installed in our AD (which has worked fine in the past).  I completely removed the GPO settings and still the same issue.  Not sure what is happening.  Also, the DNS server name of the office communicator server resolves correctly when logged in under a domain account.  Maybe someone could shed some light?  We are running the latest Office Communicator R2 with all updates.  Thanks for any input you all might have!

Tuesday, July 06, 2010 7:10 PM

Answers

• Check the _sipinternaltls record in DNS
    - Belgian Unified Communications Community : http://www.pro-exchange.be -
    • Marked as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Monday, July 19, 2010 2:29 AM
    Tuesday, July 06, 2010 10:12 PM
  • Hi Ben-Shun Zhu,

The admin at Domain A (Where OCS server is installed) re-published the DNS server, that is the public root DNS server for the domain name that OCS clients connect to.  This fixed our issue.  The funny thing is that they did this for an entirely different DNS record, a seperate issue all together they were working on.  But, by them doing this, this fixed our issue.  Why only our domain had the problem, we are not sure.  Anyhow, just wanted to give you all know.  Take care and thanks for all the input-

Friday, July 16, 2010 5:09 PM

All replies

• Check the _sipinternaltls record in DNS
    - Belgian Unified Communications Community : http://www.pro-exchange.be -
    Tuesday, July 06, 2010 10:12 PM
  • Hi Deli Pro-Exchange,

Where the Office Communicator server is located (not at my location), I will have the admin over there check their _sipinternaltls record?  However, other users can login fine, that is other users on other unique domains.  One other item that is strange, we have a user that is logged in under a cached domain account (user is offsite but their computer was configured on our domain and the user logs in with a domain account) that cannot connect to office communicator server has not been on our domain since the domain upgrade from 2003 to 2008 R2.  I don't believe then it is our domain upgrade as their computer is not aware of our domain changes.  Anyhow, something about the office communicator server's domain does not like something on our domain.  Again, thanks the input!  Let me know if you think of anything else.  I will let you know what the admin at the office communicator server office location finds-

Tuesday, July 06, 2010 11:49 PM
  • Are you able to VPN into the domain once and update your cached credentials? Connect to OC whiel VPN'd in and then try it when not. Just a thought.
    Thom Foreman, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 4:43 AM
  • Please update patches are stated in below article.

“Office Communications Server 2007 R2, OCS 2007 or LCS 2005 does not work correctly after you upgrade Domain Controllers to Windows Server 2008 R2”

http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=90

Please re-run below CMD again, make sure them are successfully.  

1.     LCSCmd /Forest /Action:SchemaPrep

2.      LCSCmd /Forest /Action:CheckSchemaPrepState

3.     LCSCmd /Forest /Action:CheckForestPrepState

4.     LCSCmd /Domain /Action:DomainPrep

5.     LCSCmd /Domain /Action:CheckDomainPrepState

If still no luck after tried above approaches, would you please re-able UM users that are in your domain.

Best regards,
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 8:03 AM
  • Thanks ThomasForeman.  The only thing is that not just do the field users have problems logging into the OCS server, but users in our office have problems logging into the OCS server.  If I can put it this way, the OCS server is installed in Windows Domain "A" at a completely seperate office.  Our office is on a seperate Windows Domain, Windows Domain "B".  The field staff user belongs to our office, and has a domain cached account from Windows Domain "B".  Also, we have never had to VPN in before to the Windows Domain "A" for OCS to work.  Anyhow, thanks for the tip and we may need to try this as a test.
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 4:58 PM
  • Thanks Ben-Shun Zhu.  I will try the recommended fix found in the article http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=90.  I will post back with my results-
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 5:06 PM
  • Ben-Shun Zhu,

The office location's Windows domain where the Office Communicator server is installed is in mixed mode, not Windows 2008 R2.  So, applying the OCS forestprep in his domain does not look like the solution.  There are other seperate offices that are running Windows 2008 R2 domain functional level that have no problem connecting.  Should I try the OCS domain prep on my domain, even though I do not have a communicator server installed on our domain (as we use communicator only to connect to the Office Communictor Server mentioned above)?  Thanks for any replies you might have-

Thursday, July 08, 2010 10:55 PM
  • I'm confused to your scenario.

Let's clarify the situation you have.Please correct if I'm wrong.

Domain A,  Root Domain, Windows server 2008 R2, OCS 2007 R2. Has no problem connecting to OCS server use domain A user account.

Domain B (Your domain),  Child domain, Windows server 2008/2003? , no OCS server, has problem connecting to OCS server use domain B user account.

(Another)Domain C , Child domain, Windows 2008 R2, no OCS server, has no problem connecting to OCS server use domain C user account.

You also can refer to this KB may help.

"Office Communications Server 2007 R2, OCS 2007 or LCS 2005 does not work correctly after you upgrade Domain Controllers to Windows Server 2008 R2"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982020/en-us?p=1

Best regards,

Friday, July 09, 2010 2:59 AM
  • Hi Ben,e

Thanks for the reply.  Let me clarify for you our situation- Domain B (My Domain) or Domain C (Another) are not a child domain of Domain A (Where OCS server is installed).  No trust or connections exist between any of the domains.  We are all connecting with seperate Domain A accounts through the OCS R2 clients.  Domain B and Domain C are Windows 2008 R2 functional domains.  Domain A is mixed mode domain.  Users from Domain C can connect to OCS server in Domain A no problems.  Anyone from Domain B (My Domain) trying to connect to OCS server in Domain A fails.  Even with users that have cached domain B accounts not physically in our office fails when connecting to OCS server.  Domain B (our domain) was just recently upgraded to Windows 2008 R2 functional domain.  Problem seems to of occured then.  However, the users with the cached accounts that are on the field have not had a live connection to Domain B in a long time, and would not be aware of this upgrade.  These remote users are getting the same errors we are getting in our office connected to Domain B. 

Hope this clarified the situation more.  Let me know if you have anymore thoughts.  Thanks!

Friday, July 09, 2010 5:00 PM
  • Hi Ben,

Here are some errors I am getting in the OCS log:

07/10/2010|15:14:46.781 928:2FC ERROR :: HRESULT failed: 80ee002d = hr. FindDeviceByName
    07/10/2010|15:14:46.781 928:2FC ERROR :: CRTCMediaController::LoadDeviceSettings Failed while loading device- 0 with 80ee002d.
    07/10/2010|15:14:46.781 928:2FC ERROR :: HRESULT failed: 80ee002d = hr. FindDeviceByName
    07/10/2010|15:14:46.781 928:2FC ERROR :: CRTCMediaController::LoadDeviceSettings Failed while loading device- 3 with 80ee002d.
    07/10/2010|15:14:46.921 928:2FC ERROR :: CHidManager::AddHidDevice - CreateFile(\\?\hid#vid_046d&pid_c016#6&29ccd955&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}) failed with -2147024891
    07/10/2010|15:14:46.921 928:2FC ERROR :: CHidManager::EnumerateHidDevices - AddHidDevice failed 0x80070005
    07/10/2010|15:14:46.921 928:2FC ERROR :: HRESULT API failed: 80004005 = hr. ParsePidVid
    07/10/2010|15:14:46.921 928:2FC ERROR :: HRESULT API failed: 80004005 = hr. ParsePidVid
    07/10/2010|15:14:53.265 928:2FC ERROR :: HRESULT API failed: 80ee0061 = hr. DisableServManager
    07/10/2010|15:14:53.265 928:2FC TRACE :: Condition failed with 80ee0092: 'GetState() != UCCES_IDLE'

I don't know if this helps.  I am wondering especially about the last 2 errors listed above.

Again, I can connect to the OCS server when I login to my workstation with a local user account.  When I login with a domain user account, I cannot login and get the errors above.

Thanks for any input-

Saturday, July 10, 2010 10:35 PM
  • I see,

Would you try giving full permissions to everyone on security options to both MOC files and registries?

Another thread same as your problem,would you check? updates let us know.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ocsclients/thread/7b0f1bea-2dbc-4003-8ec8-3c0534b08d09

Best regards,
    Monday, July 12, 2010 3:39 AM
  • Hi, kdogg, any updates?
    Best regards,
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 8:30 AM
  • Hi Ben-Shun Zhu,

The admin at Domain A (Where OCS server is installed) re-published the DNS server, that is the public root DNS server for the domain name that OCS clients connect to.  This fixed our issue.  The funny thing is that they did this for an entirely different DNS record, a seperate issue all together they were working on.  But, by them doing this, this fixed our issue.  Why only our domain had the problem, we are not sure.  Anyhow, just wanted to give you all know.  Take care and thanks for all the input-

Friday, July 16, 2010 5:09 PM