none
Contact Card Does not update the user Title in OCS 2007 R2

Question

• Dear All,

I have changed the user title in AD, it was updated in Outlook GAL but not in OCS 2007 R2 contact card. I have manually enforced the ABserver in OCS server then in my MOC client i have deleted the Galcontacts DB file then recreated my profile even then title is not getting updated for any of the user.

I have checked in CWA also, even here title is not getting updated it seems to be the OCS 2007 R2 server it self not taking the latest update from AD. Could anyone please guide me to resolve the issue.

Regards,

Thendralvanan.

Monday, November 22, 2010 12:36 PM

Answers

• By default, the SQL maintenance interval is set for 02:00 local time each day. If the Address Book Server runs during this time, its performance is likely to degrade. For this reason, the Address Book Server runs by default at 01:30 local time each day which gives it 30 minutes to complete before it overlaps with the SQL maintenance interval. The service can be configured to run and generate the files in the Address Book Server file store at another time by configuring the MSFT_SIPAddressBookSetting::RunTime WMI setting. You can also force the Address Book Server to do a synchronization pass immediately by using the command ABServer -syncNow. This command is useful in case the address book files are accidentally deleted. You can also use it for testing purposes.

Would you please also try ABServer -regenUR; and also try to delete MOC temporary contacts files that resides in "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Communicator\user",

More information please check:

Communications Server 2007 R2 Address Book Server: File and Database Generation

Best regards,
    • Marked as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Friday, December 03, 2010 5:21 AM
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:59 AM

All replies

• By default, the SQL maintenance interval is set for 02:00 local time each day. If the Address Book Server runs during this time, its performance is likely to degrade. For this reason, the Address Book Server runs by default at 01:30 local time each day which gives it 30 minutes to complete before it overlaps with the SQL maintenance interval. The service can be configured to run and generate the files in the Address Book Server file store at another time by configuring the MSFT_SIPAddressBookSetting::RunTime WMI setting. You can also force the Address Book Server to do a synchronization pass immediately by using the command ABServer -syncNow. This command is useful in case the address book files are accidentally deleted. You can also use it for testing purposes.

Would you please also try ABServer -regenUR; and also try to delete MOC temporary contacts files that resides in "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Communicator\user",

More information please check:

Communications Server 2007 R2 Address Book Server: File and Database Generation

Best regards,
    • Marked as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Friday, December 03, 2010 5:21 AM
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:59 AM
  • Hi, Thendralvanan, is the problem resolved? any updates let me know.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, December 02, 2010 9:55 AM
  • Hello

I am facing same issue. Title is not getting updated in contact card. I have deleted all address book files from OCSr2 server & regenerated Address book on server by running -regnUR & -syncNow. At client side also deleted db files & recreated it. When I open Galcontacts DB  with notepad, it shows correct Title info for users but not showing in contact card. Also it is happening with very few users not with all users.

I have gone through these two MS link as well but not of much help..http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972403  &  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976985/EN-US

I have one Ent edition OCSR2 server & 5 STD edition OCSR2 servers.. Pls let me know  if anybody able to resolve this issue..

Thanks in advance..

Anandk
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 5:28 AM
  • I also have this same issue, anyone found a resolution?
    Monday, March 07, 2011 8:42 PM
  • I broke today and called Microsoft.  I would like to share what I learned as this is not anywhere on the Internet that Google could connect me with.

Basically, the servers configurations are fine, and all the testing I did on my laptop was a complete waste of time.  Here is why:

By default, every night at 1:30AM the new address book is updated and at some random time within the first hour of logging in each day the local workstation downloads updates from the day before that are included in the compact delta file.  In my opinion this next part is a design flaw, there are 2 AD attributes that are NOT included in the compact delta file, "office" and "title", I was told MS programmers did not think this would change often enough to warrant including it in the code, nor will it ever be.  I work in a company of roughly 1200 employee who change departments and get promotions all the time, so that is a negative for us...other downside is HR has the ability to change these titles so we are never informed.

The full and legacy delta files continue to include these attributes.  The legacy and full delta files are only downloaded when a NEW galcontacts.db file is downloaded to the workstation.  Another snafu in the programming is, even though my local galcontacts.db file displays the correct attributes, it will NOT reflect in MOC unless the user who's title, or whatever, changed has them as well.  So with that being said, for it to be represented company-wide you have to manually delete these files from the end-user in question so that they can download the Full and Legacy files at which point it gets reflected to everyone.  Even the engineer I worked with thought it was weird, but it is what it is.

For the changes to be represented you have to remove the 2 files from any client that has changes in office locale or title.  We are thinking of creating a login script to delete these daily, because we have multiple office locations and DC's so it will not impact the network performance being that authentication is staggered, and add the registry key that forces your MOC to download the GalContacts.db as soon as it is opened.  Hopefully making it seamless.

Jeremy
    • Proposed as answer by billogg Tuesday, December 20, 2011 8:39 PM
    Friday, March 11, 2011 3:14 PM
  • Jeremy can you provide the particular files and file extensions that you are deleting?  And when you state MOC - ? to what are you referring.  I am relatively knew to the administration aspects of OCS and this is the first I have seen this problem.  The two files I deleted locally are or were...galcontacts.db and galcontacts.db.idx.  I think that there is a registry change I need to make, but I am not sure where to make that either.

Thanks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Vance

vp
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:38 PM
  • I am having this same issue right now - a title is not getting updated on CWA or in the MOC clients.  I understand issues with local database syncronization on the MOC workstations, but why is the title wrong in CWA as well?  Shouldn't this information be coming directly from the OCS server?  I ran a ABServer -syncnow command but it didn't update the info on CWA.

Thanks

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:40 PM
  • Ben-Shun's posting is very helpful. Thanks!

I ran ABServer -syncNow and ABServer -regenUR from OCS Front End server, then deleted galcontacts.db and galcontacts.db.idx from the affected user's desktop computer. The title was updated after re-login to Outlook and OCS.

• Edited by techreads Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:55 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:52 PM
  • I'm having this same issue, I followed everything from generating the addressbook, (ABServer -regenUR and ABServer -syncnow), deleted galcontacts.db and galcontacts.db.idx.

After logging-in to MOC, I do see the galcontacts.db and galcontacts.db.idx recreated.

The Contact Card still has the wrong title, everything looks good in AD/Exchange/Outlook addressbook.

I dont know what else to check. Please help!!!!

OCS 2007 R2 Enterprise / Win2008 R2

Thanks,

JonathanF-

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 10:05 PM
  • I have recently been plagued with this same problem. So far this is the only real helpful information that i have come accross. Has anyone tried using the absconfig util in the resource kit to address this. I have loaded this utility and the job title is not checked off. Im wondering if checking this off will force this field to be populated in the compact delta file. I have not used this utility before and am a little apprehensive about changing this until i can verify that this will fix this problem that MS has generated and will not fix.

Thursday, November 03, 2011 4:57 PM
  • Hi everyone,

I also came across this issue and found all the same helpful-but-do-not-solve-my-problem-replies until I came over this thread.

We had one user where the Title and Office Location did not update in the contact card while Exchange/Outlook and AD showing correct values. I tried rebuilidng the OAB on our OCS Server (EE - all in one deployment except SQL and Edge), manually removing the GalContacts.db and .idx file on a couple of clients for testing and nothing worked out, the Server OAB showed correct values, the contact card the wrong ones.

Finally this worked:

I followed the steps Jeremy suggested and removed the GalContacts.db and GalContacts.db.idx files from the users computer from whom the values where wrong - I was unable to set the GalDownloadInitialDelay at this time due to lack of permissions but I worked anyway - important: not immediately! Take some time - leave it for an hour and check back later, the values are good on any client.

Hope this helps someone..

Merry christmas!
    Michael

Friday, December 09, 2011 11:09 AM
  • as in another thread...

I am experiencing this same issue and am working with microsoft. Ironically enough we deleted the files from the end users computer and the change did not replicate properly.

the title updates fine for lync client users but the title will not update for users running Office communicator 2007r2. hopefully they will find a fix for this issue so what you stated wasnt neccessary to clean up the galcontacts.db. Especially when we have over 6000 communicator installs.

maybe i need to revisit the end user and make sure she didnt use multiple computers and try from there.

also to note; if the user uses multiple devices do we need to clear galcontacts.db on every device they use?

hopefully microsoft will finally treat this as a bug and resolve it for us using lync server and communicator clients.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 4:28 PM
  • Hello!

I know this may be an old thread, but this fixed it for me.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2449142

Friday, March 23, 2012 4:08 PM
  • That document is for the OCS backend. we have lync backend. still working with MS on the issue.
    Friday, March 23, 2012 4:12 PM
  • Any Update on this matter would be great PLEASE,

I currently have around 2500+ legacy OCS2007r2 clients which are all showing job titles which do not change, they have the latest MSP applied from MS, The Lync Backend is also on the latest CU and none of the 2000+ Lync clients have an issue.

I tried the local removal of the cached files on a ocs 2007r2 client, and for a few seconds (5 seconds) I saw on a client the correct job title for a person who had recently changed job titles, but once the gal had been cached local, that then changed back to the previous job title, which made it wrong again.

Cant wait for a fix as I'm being chased on this.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:01 PM
  • Any Update on this matter would be great PLEASE,

I currently have around 2500+ legacy OCS2007r2 clients which are all showing job titles which do not change, they have the latest MSP applied from MS, The Lync Backend is also on the latest CU and none of the 2000+ Lync clients have an issue.

I tried the local removal of the cached files on a ocs 2007r2 client, and for a few seconds (5 seconds) I saw on a client the correct job title for a person who had recently changed job titles, but once the gal had been cached local, that then changed back to the previous job title, which made it wrong again.

Cant wait for a fix as I'm being chased on this.

Yeah i will update when i have a good fix/workaround. So far i was able to resolve the issue for a single user by completely removing them from lync and readding them. however it removed all their contacts and removed them from users contact lists.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:03 PM
  • Hello All

Pls try following steps, this has fixed issue for me

To have title information in contact data file, modified ABServer.exe.config file as per MS  KB article KB972403.

Pls follow this article carefully, this will help you resolve it. Pls post your queries.

Thanks.

Anandk

Monday, April 02, 2012 6:52 AM
  • I was able to resolve this issue without involving IT.  Follow the instructions in this article:

http://itproafrica.com/technology/ocs/force-communicator-to-update-its-address-book-immediately/

Saturday, March 16, 2013 8:18 PM