none
OCS 2007 R2 - Cannot view chat in multiple user conference

Question

When this user either starts or participates in a multiple user IM conversation, they can see no text at all.  Other participants can see each others' texts, and the user can type in text and all other users can see what they type.  It is this user only that cannot see what is being typed by all other users.

The user gets no errors, and there are no events that come up in the event viewer.

Any ideas to try before we remove the client/reboot the system/re-install the client?

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,Jason,

Does this happen to peer to peer IM(Two-way IM) for this user?

Have you tried to log on another computer and test this again?

Would you please check the "Turn on logging in Communicator" and "Turn on Windows Event logging for Communicator" on Communicator client(Option-General-Logging),also please enable Communicator server logging tool with selecting S4,SipStack and  IMMCU,reproduce the issue then use Snooper(Installed along with Resource Kit tool on Lync server) to analyze the log file to get more specific information for troubleshooting.

Also please verify your firewall setting on this computer and make sure you didn't blocked incoming traffic from your FE server.For ports and protocol details you can check below

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd425238(office.13).aspx

Regards,

Sharon

Sharon Shen

TechNet Community Support

************************************************************************************************************************

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:56 AM
  • Sharon -

The user has no issues with a peer-to-peer IM session.  Other users have no issues seeing the group IM chat conversation.  I have enabled logging and tried a group session - no errors show up in the error log.

Firewall for this computer is turned off.

The user can see their own IMs in the group chat, but not anyone elses.  He can also see the "xxx is typing a message" message in the OC client window.

I do not have access to the OCS server, so I cannot perform the steps you ask on the server.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 11:18 AM
  • Hi,Jason,

Sorry for responding you so late.

It's a weird issue.You'd better ask your Lync server admin to enable logging as I post above on Lync server and reproduce the issue to get more specific information for troubleshooting.Also you can run Wireshark or Netmon on the user computer and reproduce the issue to trace the network traffic.

Regards,

Sharon

Sharon Shen

TechNet Community Support

************************************************************************************************************************

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 1:05 AM
  • Hey Jason,

I am running into the same issue with one of our users, were you ever able to resolve this on your end by chance? If so, what steps did you take for doing so?

Thanks!

Jarratt

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:22 PM
  • Hi Jason, we're experiencing the exact same issue for one user.  Did you ever get a fix for this?

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:42 PM