none
Polycom CX500

Question

• Hi all,

I've deployed Lync into my lab environment in order to have a play with some of the voice features.  I've got a CX600 & CX500.  The CX600, connected to a PC via USB works a charm.  However, I'm having problems with the CX500 signing into Lync.

The Phone gets a valid IP & the correct vlan from the switch (Both phones connected to the same subnet & same H3C switch).  The CX500 boots up & prompts me for an extension which I enter (the same as the Line URI in the user properties), prompts for the pin, which I generated by Set-CSClientPin,

After attemping to connect to theTime Server & Lync Server it tells me that an account matching this phone number cannot be found.  I was hoping that as per the documentation I would be able to ftp to the phone to get logs off, but this doesn't appear to function.

I would imagine that as the CX600 functions, there's nothing fundementally wrong with the DNS addresses, DHCP options etc.

Any pointers on how to troubleshoot this would be greatfully received.  Is there anything I need to do in order to enable the ftp server on the phones? or is this an error in the documentation?

Regards

Stu

Friday, December 03, 2010 1:35 PM

All replies

• Did you use dhcputil to configure your DHCP server?

Randy Wintle |MVP:Lync Server, MCTS: UC Voice Specialization
    Friday, December 03, 2010 3:53 PM
  • Yes, It has created a whole host of options,

Options 1,2,3,4,5 of class MSUCClient & option 120 of the Standard Class.

Regards

Stu

Saturday, December 04, 2010 11:42 AM
  • Sorted (kind of).

Ran the DHCP clean up script to remove the Lync options, turned on the embedded DHCP functionality in Lync & the CX500 is all happy.

Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction.

Stu

• Proposed as answer by Jordan Knapp Monday, March 07, 2011 3:43 PM
    Monday, December 06, 2010 7:36 AM
  • Hi

Where or how do you enable embedded DCHP?

Thanks

Keith

Thursday, December 09, 2010 10:16 AM
  • The lync front end is able to hand out the DHCP options that are needed, but not IP information.

To do this, run the following powershell command:

Set-CSRegistrarConfiguration -EnableDHCPServer $True

YOu must make sure your clients can contact the lync server for these dhcp options.

Thursday, December 09, 2010 2:03 PM
  • I beleive i am having the same problem however unfortunately i cant quite get my head around the solution you are describing.

I have a CX600 phone which works fine when connected via USB but when i enter an extention it immediately bombs out telling me the number is invalid.

Currently the phone is connected to the standard Data VLAN as i didn't want to interfere with the Cisco voice clan options etc.

I ran DHCPutil from the lync server and then copied and pasted the options into the DHCPConfigscript on a 2003 x86 Domain controller/DHCP server

have i potentially either done this wrong, or should be doing this differently? can i configure some options on the 2003 DHCP server to redirect the phone at the lync server and set somthing there? i'd rather keep one single DHCP server (currently 2k3, not moving to 2k8r2 for a few months) managing IPs as it makes the infrastructure less complicated

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:29 PM
  • Have you tried with entering the full phone number instead of the extension?

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 3:06 PM
  • Thanks

It worked for me and i can now sign on.

Jim - is your users Line URI configured correctly? mine is TEL:+*******xxxx;EXT=xxxx

You can set it by running the following command:

set-CSUser -identity "<Alias>" -LineURI " TEL:+*******xxxx;EXT=xxxx"

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:43 AM
  • It is worth noting that the Line URI does not have to include the ;ext=xxxx portion in order for PIN Authentication to work on the Aries phones.  Also extensions for PIN auth can be supported by using customized Normalization Rules, just as OCS R2 used to normalize extensions into E.164 for Dial-In Conferencing DTMF authentication.

See this blog article for more details on setting up basic rules to handle extension dialing in Lync Server:
    http://blog.schertz.name/2010/10/lync2010rc-deployment-part3/

Jeff Schertz, Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 1:54 PM
  • You can use the https://meet.yourdomain.com address in IE to check for your PIN and extension settings. The page will say either: you have no extension configured and have to use full phone number or you have ;ext=xxxx already there and in that case xxxx is your valid extension. You need to enter the number that was visible as your extension on this webpage.
    Friday, December 17, 2010 10:01 PM