none
Lync 2010 - Disable "Save My Password" Checkbox on Lync Client

Question

• Hello,

I am deploying Lync 2010 to workgroup computers and would like to disable the "Save My Password" checkbox on the Lync login screen.  Does anyone know how this can be configured in the registry?

Thanks

Monday, May 16, 2011 3:43 PM

All replies

• Here is the article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398998.aspx

The following Registry Key will disable it:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Communicator\SavePassword

...where SavePassword is DWORD and the value must be “0”

Drago

http://www.lynclog.com
    Monday, May 16, 2011 6:56 PM
  • Thanks for the response Drago.

I have tested this and toggling SavePassword only changes whether or not the box is checked.  I am trying to get the box to not appear or be inaccessible.

Thanks

Monday, May 16, 2011 8:41 PM
  • Hmm, I have not tested myself. Just read the documentation. I assume that even thou the password checkbox is available and could be checked, the password will not be saved and "autologin" wil not be posible. Is this the case?

Drago

http://www.lynclog.com
    Monday, May 16, 2011 11:19 PM
  • Hi,

Even without passwords saved, clients will 'auto-login' as they are issued a certificate by lync to authenticate. 

The only way to stop 'autologin' is to disable cert auth for the Lync system and not save passwords.

It's a little courter intuitive but that's how it works.

Be aware that disabling cert auth may affect your DR scenarios

thanks

Tom

If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks
    Tom Arbuthnot, Consultant Modality Systems
    Blog: Lync'd Up Blog Subscribe: RSS
    Twitter @tomarbuthnot
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 12:58 PM
  • Hi Tom,

I don't understand how it work because I have users that, even without save the password, clients will not "auto-login", but there are others users who behave the way you say. For example, when i try to login with the user "lynctest" in my computer (pc1, it's not a member of domain), always ask me for credentials. However, in other computer that also is not a domain member (pc2), when i try to login with the same user, no ask me for credentials. If I revoke the cert auth for lynctest, the first time that log on in pc2 ask me for credencials. Then, never again. In pc1, still works the same way.

I hope your help!

Fernando

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:31 PM
  • We don't want to disable certs altogether because some users have secure domain-joined workstations.

But others have generic shared workstations and we don't want them to be able to save their password there.  We have configured the Lync adm in GPO and set these to disable saved passwords - will this do the trick?

If so, what does that gpo do?  Is it just a registry setting?  We have some non-domain machines that we would like to set this on too...

Monday, December 12, 2011 5:59 AM
  • Did you ever find a solution for this?  I'm in a similar situation.

I can get around it on our XP workstations but our Windows 7 workstations (non-domain computers) will not prompt for the password.

Under XP this is what I do:

a. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Communicator and create DWORD SavedPassword.  Set the value to 0.
    b. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Communicator and delete the AccountPassword entry.
    c. Remove the SIP certificate
    d. Remove the stored credentials in Control Panel

It doesn't work in Windows 7 though.

• Proposed as answer by mxm323 Wednesday, May 08, 2013 3:29 PM
    Monday, August 27, 2012 6:24 PM
  • For Win 7 stations, in addition to changing or creating and setting the SavePassword value to 0 under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Communicator and create DWORD SavedPassword. Do these other two things:

Under XP and WIN 7 - Search the entire registry for "SavePassword".  I found some (1) values under HKUsers in addition to the HKCU.

Under Win7 -  I've found the you have to delete out of date "Generic Credentials" that reference OC to EWS and OC to anything.  See examples in the image below (SIP URI account scrubbed). There is a similiar place in XP User Accounts, in the Manage Passwords button, but i have never once found a saved credential related to this issue.

To Access Generic Credentials on WIN 7 got to:

Start\Control Panel\User Accounts\Manage your credentials (Top left)\ then Generic Credentials is at the bottom.

Win 7  Start\Control Panel\User Accounts\Manage your credentials\Generic Credentials

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 3:58 PM
  • Hi Nancy,

try the below it will work. :)

1) sign out and exit completely  Lync from (taskBar notification).

2) Go to cmd prompt and do step 3 and 4.

3) reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Communicator  /v  SavePassword  /d  0 /

4) Certutil –delstore –user My email@company.com

5) Login again to lync but now make sure to remove the Tick from the checkbox of "save password"

N.B: in step 4 enter your email and don't delete "My".

Waiting your Feedback!

• Proposed as answer by ahajar Wednesday, February 12, 2014 11:49 AM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 11:49 AM