none
Lync fails displaying 486-busy-state when a SIP-Warning header is present.

Question

• SW Version: Lync 2010 Wave 14

Callflow:
    Lync makes outbound call via SIP-Trunk-Provider and gets a 486 response with a SIP-Warning-header.

Expected:
    Lync displays 486-busy-state to customer/Lync-client.

Currently:
    Lync displays call failed to customer/Lync-client.

RFC 3261 expects a SIP-Agent MUST NOT take automated actions when a Warning-header is present, instead Lync chnages its behaviour when the 399-warning-header is present.

RFC 3261 abstract:
    " 399 Miscellaneous warning: The warning text can include arbitrary
    information to be presented to a human user or logged. A
    system receiving this warning MUST NOT take any automated
    action."

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 12:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,Macros,

I am afraid I am not very clear about your question,are you talking about that Lync client should display 486-busy-state when you get a 486 response with a SIP warning header after making an outbound call via SIP Trunk,rather than just failed message?

B/R

Sharon

Sharon Shen

TechNet Community Support

************************************************************************************************************************

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

Thursday, June 07, 2012 8:37 AM
  • Hello Sharon,

your understanding is right, but I do not know if Lync-server or Lync-client is generating the output.

From the screenshots here you can see, different messages are diplayed.
    Both time SIP-response is 486, but when a Warning-header is present, it looks like, the Warning-header number 399 is displayed instead (1. screenshot).

I would expect according RFC 3261, that the presence of the warning-header 399 does not change the bahaviour of the busy-response- state. Or is there another RFC which says, that the warning header takes precedence ?

Thanks.

BR
    MarcoS

1. Screenshot:

2. Screenshot:

Correct busy message displayed.

Friday, June 08, 2012 9:40 AM
  • Hi,Macros,

I am sorry I think this question can only be answered by Lync production team,I will involve a Microsoft Engineer in this thread and hope you will get answer from him.

Sorry for no more help.

B/R

Sharon 

Sharon Shen

TechNet Community Support

************************************************************************************************************************

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

Monday, June 11, 2012 2:11 AM
  • Hello Marcos,

As per the RFC 3261 the 399 warning header can be used for dispalying additional informational and it should not be used to do any automated tasks.

As per your expalination above it seems that Lync client is displaying the infomation contained in the warning header.

Do you see Lync client doing any automated task based on the 399 warning header ?

With Regards,

Santosh

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 4:41 AM