none
Security Concern for Lync Setup

Question

• HI;

I am planning to give livemeeting to external vendors, I would like to know if after hosting a live meeting, will an external user (not a corporate user/no username password in AD) need to authenticate with my company's AD to use the livemeeting feature ?

Regards,

Tiju Johnson

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:58 AM

Answers

• Let me explain;

Live meeting is a client used for accessing Lync web conference. Webconference role is part of Lync frontend server which is inturn part of your AD infrastructure.

• When you host a meeting via lync, it is nothing but you are creating a conference instance on Lync SQL conference database. Which can be accessed by a unique link.
    • When you sending that invite to external /internet users, you have two option available. a) Authenticate aganist your credentials, will hit AD b) Anonymous or guest , will not hit AD.

When you say hosting a live meeting using Lync , you must need a AD infrastructure to authenticate the users. You can run a seperate instance for external vendor with dedicated forest , but that doesn't make sense.

Thanks

Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:55 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

External user can join the live meeting as guest or anonymous users. They don't need to authenticate aganist AD , however they need the complete URL to join in.

Thanks

Saleesh

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:22 PM
  • Ok. Now if i am a corporate employee and i am working from home; will i be able to host a live meeting via HTTP/HTTPS ? For Hosting a livemeeting do i need to authenticate with AD? If, yes, will this be a security issue of exposing my AD credentials over the internet ?

What does Microsoft suggest in securing any AD based autentication over internet ?

Thursday, February 16, 2012 7:44 AM
  • Yes , you can join live meeting externally from internet.

End to end lync communication (signaling and media) is encrypted using TLS/SRTP. So your credentials are not exposed to internet.

Thanks

Saleesh

Thursday, February 16, 2012 8:02 AM
  • HI Saleesh, what about hosting (not joining) a livemeeting via internet? I basically dont want anyone to authenticate to my AD over internet.
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 1:57 PM
  • There are many third party hosted live meeting solutions are available. External vendor just need a client software on the machine and authentication and management will be handled by hosting partner.

As you know, it is not free :).

Thanks

Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:23 PM
  • :) I am asking about using Lync to host a livemeeting via internet.
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:40 PM
  • Let me explain;

Live meeting is a client used for accessing Lync web conference. Webconference role is part of Lync frontend server which is inturn part of your AD infrastructure.

• When you host a meeting via lync, it is nothing but you are creating a conference instance on Lync SQL conference database. Which can be accessed by a unique link.
    • When you sending that invite to external /internet users, you have two option available. a) Authenticate aganist your credentials, will hit AD b) Anonymous or guest , will not hit AD.

When you say hosting a live meeting using Lync , you must need a AD infrastructure to authenticate the users. You can run a seperate instance for external vendor with dedicated forest , but that doesn't make sense.

Thanks

Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:55 PM