none
How to Upgrade Office Communicator 2007 to Office Communicator 2007 R2

Question

• I obtained Office Communicator 2007 R1 for my personal computer through the Home Use Program but my organization now uses R2. How can I go about upgrading from R1 to R2? Preferably at no cost since I already paid for R1. My IT people don't seem to know. Thanks!
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Robert,

Office Communicator 2007 R2 is available as both a stand-alone product and also included in the following Office System offerings: Microsoft Office Pro Plus 2007 and Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007.

If customers had Software Assurance (SA) on Office Live Communications Server 2005 CALs and Office Live Communications 2005 Server at the time of the release of Office Communications Server 2007 CALs on the Volume Licensing pricelist (September 1st 2008), and have maintained active Office Communications Server 2007 Standard CAL SA through the release of Office Communicator 2007 R2, they will maintain their rights to install Office Communicator 2007 R2 without purchasing Office Pro Plus 2007, Office Enterprise 2007 or the Office Communicator 2007 R2 stand-alone license.

Office Communications Server 2007 customers will have the following license migration rights to the corresponding Office Communications Server 2007 R2 offerings as described by the following:

• Office Communications Server 2007 Standard CAL with Active SA License > Migration Path Entitled to Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Standard CAL
    • Office Communications Server 2007 Enterprise CAL with Active SA > Migration Path Entitled to Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Enterprise CAL
    • Office Communications Server 2007 Standard CAL with Active SA License > Migration Path Entitled to Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Standard Edition Server
    • Office Communications Server 2007 Enterprise Edition Server with Active SA > Migration Path Entitled to Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Enterprise Edition Server
    • Any Office Live Communications Server or Office Communications Server 2007 License without SA > No migration rights
    • Customers with Office Live Communications Server and active SA on the Standard CAL will have migration rights to the Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Standard CAL and the Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Enterprise CAL.
    • When customers renew their SA, they will renew into the current version of Office Communication Server.

Noya Lau

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:29 AM

All replies

•  Hi,

I am curious about your question.  If you want to use R2, just uninstall the office communicator 2007 and reinstall the office communicator 2007 r2.

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:26 AM
  • Thanks for the response. I guess my question boils down to this: Does R2 come free as a result of having a license for R1 or does it require a separate purchase? For example, having Office 2003 does not entitle one to a free upgrade to Office 2010. However, having Windows Vista Service Pack 1 does automatically entitle one to a free (AND AUTOMATIC) "upgrade" to Vista Service Pack 2. So I just want to know how it works for Communicator, especially since there does not seem to be a menu choice of any kind within the program to update itself.
    Monday, February 20, 2012 2:35 PM
  •  Hi,

According my understanding, office Communicator R2 can be free as a result of having a license for R1, but The Office Communicator 2007 R2 client is a separate installation.You can have a try . 

And you can consult your local reseller, they will be more helpful.

Hope helps,

Lisa

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:16 AM
  • Hi Robert,

Office Communicator 2007 R2 is available as both a stand-alone product and also included in the following Office System offerings: Microsoft Office Pro Plus 2007 and Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007.

If customers had Software Assurance (SA) on Office Live Communications Server 2005 CALs and Office Live Communications 2005 Server at the time of the release of Office Communications Server 2007 CALs on the Volume Licensing pricelist (September 1st 2008), and have maintained active Office Communications Server 2007 Standard CAL SA through the release of Office Communicator 2007 R2, they will maintain their rights to install Office Communicator 2007 R2 without purchasing Office Pro Plus 2007, Office Enterprise 2007 or the Office Communicator 2007 R2 stand-alone license.

Office Communications Server 2007 customers will have the following license migration rights to the corresponding Office Communications Server 2007 R2 offerings as described by the following:

• Office Communications Server 2007 Standard CAL with Active SA License > Migration Path Entitled to Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Standard CAL
    • Office Communications Server 2007 Enterprise CAL with Active SA > Migration Path Entitled to Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Enterprise CAL
    • Office Communications Server 2007 Standard CAL with Active SA License > Migration Path Entitled to Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Standard Edition Server
    • Office Communications Server 2007 Enterprise Edition Server with Active SA > Migration Path Entitled to Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Enterprise Edition Server
    • Any Office Live Communications Server or Office Communications Server 2007 License without SA > No migration rights
    • Customers with Office Live Communications Server and active SA on the Standard CAL will have migration rights to the Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Standard CAL and the Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Enterprise CAL.
    • When customers renew their SA, they will renew into the current version of Office Communication Server.

Noya Lau

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:29 AM
  • Thank you Noya for the through response. I'm left not understanding, however, what specific steps I personally can take, if any, as an employee using the Microsoft Home Use program to update the software. It almost sounds like this is a matter for my IT department to manage (and may not be manageable through the Home Use Program...meaning I'm kind of out of luck, so to speak, on this matter).

If, hypothetically, my IT department has managed this in such a way that the upgrade is possible would the proper approach likely to be that I would need to go through the Home Use program website and simply download R2?

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:55 PM
  • Hi Robert,

Here is an article about OCS 2007 R2 Licensing. Have a check, and hope it is useful.

Noya Lau

Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:36 AM