none
Lync Mobility with Lync Edge Server

Domanda

• Hi.

I have succesfully deployed an Enterpise Lync Deployment (no Voice, or UM) for a client of ours. My deployment conists of the following:

• Front End Pool with 1 Front End Server
    • AV Conferencing Pool with 1 AV conferencing Server
    • Monitoring Server
    • Archiving Server
    • SQL Server with 3 Seperate instances (1 for Lync RTC, 1 for Monitor and 1 for Archive)
    • Edge Server (not domain joined with public & internal IP, Internal Cert with all required SAN's & Wildcard External Cert)

I am planning to do the Lync Mobility Service deployment as per: http://blog.schertz.name/2011/12/deploying-the-lync-2010-mobility-service/

The only problem I have is it keeps refering to a TMG reverse proxy for the external deployment, and I do not want to go back to the client to suggest they purchase an additional server with TMG to get this done. Is there no way of deploying the external connectivity for the mobile service via the Lync Edge Server?

Any help will be appreciated!! Thanks.

mercoledì 6 giugno 2012 06:50

Risposte

• Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but a Reverse Proxy is a must. You should have always had one in your design. If you deploy an Edge server there is not much you can do without a Reverse Proxy server.

Here's an option for you though. Don't have a dedicated AV conferencing pool. This will free up a server to install TMG on and configure it as a Reverse Proxy. There is nothing in your list above which indicates that you need a dedicated AV pool.

Alternatively if your Archiving and Monitoring servers are physically different servers youc an colocate these roles onto one server.

Of course with this approach you have to explain to the customer why you recommended a dedicated AV pool or separate Archiving/monitoring servers in the first place...

• Modificato ALANMAD mercoledì 6 giugno 2012 14:46 added additional information
    • Contrassegnato come risposta krokebob mercoledì 6 giugno 2012 18:35
    mercoledì 6 giugno 2012 14:45

Tutte le risposte

• Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but a Reverse Proxy is a must. You should have always had one in your design. If you deploy an Edge server there is not much you can do without a Reverse Proxy server.

Here's an option for you though. Don't have a dedicated AV conferencing pool. This will free up a server to install TMG on and configure it as a Reverse Proxy. There is nothing in your list above which indicates that you need a dedicated AV pool.

Alternatively if your Archiving and Monitoring servers are physically different servers youc an colocate these roles onto one server.

Of course with this approach you have to explain to the customer why you recommended a dedicated AV pool or separate Archiving/monitoring servers in the first place...

• Modificato ALANMAD mercoledì 6 giugno 2012 14:46 added additional information
    • Contrassegnato come risposta krokebob mercoledì 6 giugno 2012 18:35
    mercoledì 6 giugno 2012 14:45
  • Oh crap.

Not a problem, The reason we suggested a Fronted\nd and an AV pool in stead of single servers, is that they plan to do quite a bit of AV conferencing and they are looking for the ability to grow & expand rapidly with their lync deployment.

Can't beleive they released the Mobility Plugin for a requirement with a reverse proxy though, that sucks.

But hanks for the quick answer, I'll rather collocate my Archiving & Monitoring servers and then do the reverse proxy.

Thanks.

mercoledì 6 giugno 2012 18:35