none
Lync 2010 Client Search results

Domanda

• Lync 2010 Standard Edition, roughly 65 users. CU4 has been installed, and we have multiple versions of the Lync Client from 4.0.7577.314, through the latest 4.0.7577.4051

While doing a Lync user search every thing seems to work fine. Say I enter "Ken" it will return all contacts, from Outlook, that contain "Ken" such as "Kenneth" "Kentwood" "Kenwood" "Uncle Ken" etc, works great.

However, If I enter "Pet" it will not return any users, "Pet Supplies Plus" Pete" "Peterson" The results are I just get search failed.

Interestingly enough, I can search by vowel "I" and get every one in my contacts. If I seach with "E" the Following occurs, "Search Failed. Please try again. If the problem continues, contact your support team."

It also seems to effect specific characters. "P" "E" "T" "V" or a combination, I found issue while searching for "Pete".

Users will resolve by sip address, however some people do not resolve and some do from the local contacts. It does not effect every one. I have found that a few people on windows 7, Office 2007 Current SP can search by anything, Vowel, parial name, and get the expected results. I attempted to duplicate her scenario, but with my account, and it still gets odd results.

Anyone with an idea where to look? The GAL is downloading, and that is proper as I can tell, I have edited the registry and download the GAL at Lync start up. This is more of a iussue resolving to contacts I would think, but I dont understand the odd results.

Any thougths?  Thanks Aaron

GreenBleeder
    martedì 24 gennaio 2012 20:49

Risposte

• OK, After a few more days of research, I have found the following to make the needed corrections.

We found that the Lync2010Res Kit was the original Version, and would/will cause issues when you apply the defaults when running ABSConfig.exe. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2621857) Remove, and install the current version (4.0.7577.172) of the RESKit. Rerun ABSEdit.exe click OK to acknowledge the numerous errors, (Its angry due to looking for OCSR2 Settings)Apply the defaults and then exit, the ABSConfig. Restart the ABSConfig.exe, and it should work fine for the executable.

Step 2 Was to "Update-CsUserDataBase", followed by "Update-CsAddressBook -Verbose"

Force replication, or delete the GAL Files, and resart the client, and all should be well.

Aaron

GreenBleeder

• Contrassegnato come risposta a7mmUM lunedì 20 febbraio 2012 16:05
    lunedì 20 febbraio 2012 16:05

Tutte le risposte

• This behavior that you are seeing implies that the address book has not completely downloaded. You seem to suggest that you have modified the GAL download delay to zero but have you deleted the existing db files after first exiting Lync?

Read this article and double-check all of the steps listed.

http://blog.schertz.name/2010/09/updating-the-lync-2010-address-book/

mercoledì 25 gennaio 2012 02:07
  • The Address book does download. I have deleted the c:\users\%username%\AppData\Microsoft\Communicator\sip_UserSipAddress

From here I have deleted the "GALContacts.db", and the "GALcontacts.db.idx" While the Client is closed out.

I have also exited out of the client, and deleted the whole folder, as well. I have the initial delay for the download set to zero.

I start the client, and can see the files appear in the proper folder. At that point, if I test, I get the same results.

I will follow the Blog this moring, and get back to you the results.

Aaron

GreenBleeder
    mercoledì 25 gennaio 2012 14:55
  • Get-CSUserReplicatorConfiguration

Identity : Global
    ADDomainNamingContextList : {}
    ReplicationCycleInterval : 00:01:00

Get-CsAddressBookConfiguration

Identity : Global
    RunTimeOfDay : 1:30 AM
    KeepDuration : 30
    SynchronizePollingInterval : 00:05:00
    MaxDeltaFileSizePercentage : 20
    UseNormalizationRules : True
    IgnoreGenericRules : False
    EnableFileGeneration : True

Update-CsAddressBook -Verbose

VERBOSE: Request for AddressBook synchronization pass successfully queued.
    This pass might take up to five minutes to start.

From the Event Viewer, I get thte following in oprder,

"Synchronization Pass Started",

"Warning, one or more phone numbers failed to normalize" (Some Ad numbers need to be changed over to the proper format still),

"Synchronization pass compelted successufully", Synchronization Pass Summary" (131 Contacts processed, also shows "Number of OC Delta Files written: 47 with a total of 1,356 new/updated contacts and 2 deleted contacts"

Next Synchronization pass will start at 1/26/2012 1:30:00am

From here, I follow the steps, and delete the %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Communicator\sip_<username@domain>\

Delete the GalContacts.db and GalContacts.db.idx

Start Lync Client and let it download a fresh copy, and I get the same results.

Search fails for anything with the letter "A", "E", & a couple other characters, but form some reason "I" works.

I still have the same results

Aaron

GreenBleeder
    mercoledì 25 gennaio 2012 15:36
  • Is it resolving your all corporate users correctly and just having issues with your local contacts?

If you set you client policy to only perform a web query, does it work correctly (just for troubleshooting)?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398300.aspx

Set the  -AddressBookAvailability parameter to WebSearchOnly

Tim Harrington | MVP: Exchange | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010, MCITP: Lync 2010, MCITP: Server 2008, MCTS: OCS | Blog: http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com | Twitter: @twharrington
    mercoledì 25 gennaio 2012 15:52
  • I have ran the Set-CsClientPolicy -AddressBookAvailability WebSearchOnly.

Exited the client, and just for good measure deleted that GAL files.  Restarted the Lync 2010 Client, and tested.

Interesting enough, I get people whom I did not get previously, example "Pe" will resolve, and show "Pete" whom it would not show before as well as "Peterson", "Pet Supplies" but "Amy" does not resolve to any one, but it will resolve by the user name to contacts only.

Other contacts will show multiple once from AD, and then a second in some case's from contacts, as designated with (Contacts) after the user information.

Also "I" used to return all sotrs of results, and returnes nothing now, but "J" returns everything and states "Too Many Search Results; First 50 Shown" which is expected

So I seem to have the same issue, now, only with different people/ letters.

Aaron

GreenBleeder
    mercoledì 25 gennaio 2012 17:36
  • TWHarrington,

I have waited a bit for testing, but after making your suggest change, and letting every thing replicate over the weekend, Every thing is now resolving correctly.

I still have it set to "WebSearch Only" Any thoughts on to what would casue the local file to not display correctly?

Thansk Aaron

GreenBleeder
    lunedì 30 gennaio 2012 19:36
  • Have you by chance altered the default config of the address book with the ABSConfig.exe file?  If you have we might try something different.

Try, manually deleting the ABS files in your file share (File Share -> Web services -> ABFiles -> 0000's -> 000's).  Delete contents.

ABS files will automatically generate during the night or you can manually start the process by running Update-CsAddressBook.

Tim Harrington | MVP: Exchange | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010, MCITP: Lync 2010, MCITP: Server 2008, MCTS: OCS | Blog: http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com | Twitter: @twharrington
    martedì 31 gennaio 2012 02:43
  • Tim,

I have not, but did I have others who have access to our Lync deployment, and after conversing with them, they have looked at it, but not made any changes.

I ran the ABSConfig.exe and see a option for "Restore DeFaults" 

Should I "Restore Defaults" and then "Update-CSAddressBook" or "Restore Defaults", manual delete that you suggested?

My thought was that if it some how did get altered, and we dont "Default" we would still ge the same issue.

Thanks Aaron

GreenBleeder

Follow up, I used the ABSConfig.exe, chose restore defaults, and then deleted all files, from the directory. Forced a"Update-CsAddressBook -Verbose" and waiting for the replicatison. ABSConfig tool stated that "Defaults were restored successfully"

"You can check the event viewer entry for CS Replicator (Event ID: 30024) To Verify that UR Syncronization competled" However, that never arrived in the Event Log. even after 30 minutes.

I deleted the files anyway, and forced replcation. With the exception of 137 numbers that dont resolve properly, every thing is fine from the forcing of the update.

Should I change it back to "WebSearchAndFileDownLoad" ?

Thansk Aaron

• Modificato a7mmUM martedì 31 gennaio 2012 16:41
    martedì 31 gennaio 2012 14:27
  • Sounds good, yes switch it back to WebSearchAndFileDownload

martedì 31 gennaio 2012 21:33
  • So the saga continues.

This monring, for some reason, the server search fails. (Still on Server Search only) I set the Lync Client "Personal Settings" of "Personal Information Manager", to "None" It will not pull any contacts But it will pull groups. EG, "Pete" it pulls up "Accounting Executive" group.

SO to the FE Server, in the Event Log viewer, I have the Following. Event ID 21022 LS AddressBook Server, A full data file is corrupt. Path 1-Webservices-1\abfiles\0000\----f-0fd0.labs File corrupted: Invalid attibute ID 0 in contact. Index 7 GUID {1329aec4-da97-46e4-b995-1039c096f9e1} Offset: 23

SO I have deleted the files and forced a "Update-CsAddressBook -Verbose"  Generated new f-0fd0.dabs files (Stuff in the 0000\0000 directory)

logged out of my Cleint, waited for these new files to be gernerated sucessfully, and then logged into my client. I do not get a user unless I use the full SIP Address, but I get any groups that they are associated with (New side effect)

If I swith the Client to "Personal Information Manager", to Microsoft Exchange or Outlook, it does pull all contacts but still no contacts ad if it were set to "None"

Any idea how to get rid of the group displays that it shows?

I will switch it to "WebsearchAndFileDownload" this after lunch, and test the name resolution.

Aaron

GreenBleeder
    mercoledì 1 febbraio 2012 18:32
  • Morning update:

@ 1:30am, Event ID 21022 LS AddressBook Server,

A Full dats file is corrupt The path \\lync2010.domain.com\share\1-Webservices-1\abfiles\0000000(shotened)\000\F-0fd0.lsabs -file corrupted: Invailid Attibute id 0 in contact. Index: 7 GUID Guid: {1329aec4-da97-46e4-b995-1039c096f9e1}  Offset: 255
    Cause: The Address Book Server is attempting to read one of the full data files in order to generate a delta file. The full data file is corrupt and the delta file cannot be generated.
    Resolution:
    Examine the details in the associated event log entry to determine which full data file is corrupt and first save it away for possible use by PSS.  Then delete the corrupt file.  This will result in a missing delta file, but the client will get the next oldest delta file instead.

If I delete all the files in the 00000\000000 directory, and force an update "update-CsAddressBook -Verbose" it will complete and be fine, and report just the Normalization rules. I will monitor in the morning for the 21022 Error again.

I went to my most affected user, ensured that she did not have any GAL files, and I still get  the same results. Some people resolve properly, and some do not Jamie for instance does not resolve until I get at least three characters into the name "JAM"

Also of note in this configuration I do not see federated users that are alraedy in the client as contacts. Its almost as if the GAL is not getting all of the information it needs from either the contacts or the server.

Aaron

GreenBleeder
    giovedì 2 febbraio 2012 16:35
  • OK, After a few more days of research, I have found the following to make the needed corrections.

We found that the Lync2010Res Kit was the original Version, and would/will cause issues when you apply the defaults when running ABSConfig.exe. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2621857) Remove, and install the current version (4.0.7577.172) of the RESKit. Rerun ABSEdit.exe click OK to acknowledge the numerous errors, (Its angry due to looking for OCSR2 Settings)Apply the defaults and then exit, the ABSConfig. Restart the ABSConfig.exe, and it should work fine for the executable.

Step 2 Was to "Update-CsUserDataBase", followed by "Update-CsAddressBook -Verbose"

Force replication, or delete the GAL Files, and resart the client, and all should be well.

Aaron

GreenBleeder

• Contrassegnato come risposta a7mmUM lunedì 20 febbraio 2012 16:05
    lunedì 20 febbraio 2012 16:05