none
Hosted Exchange Migration yields "Could not locate mailbox."

Frage

• Hello,

When trying to migrate users, the Migration Console is able to retrieve the mailbox size, but then errors out "Migration failed for use SMTP:user@domain.com with the message "Could not locate mailbox.""

I have not been able to find any solutions online or through support, although I have seen a post which is very similar to this, but does not relate to a Hosted Exchange Migration(http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onlineservicesmigrationandcoexistence/thread/12822ef7-9f53-4126-8053-bfab18794452)

Per somone's advice in that thread I tried again via the Migration Command Shell which sheds a little more light as to where it may be failing:

PS C:\Windows\system32> Move-XsHostedExchangeMailboxToExchangeOnline -TransporterObject $user -TargetCredential $tcred -v
    VERBOSE: 2/16/2010 10:25:30 AM: Preparing to perform the following task: Move-XsHostedExchangeMailboxToMicrosoftOnline. Description: Moves mailbox
    content from Hosted Exchange Server to Exchange Online..
    VERBOSE: 2/16/2010 10:25:30 AM:
    Assembly Name: Microsoft.Exchange.Transporter.Engine.dll
    Assembly Product Name: Microsoft Online Services
    Assembly File Version: 1.0.1422.8
    Assembly Modified Date: 10/5/2009 6:42:06 PM

VERBOSE: 2/16/2010 10:25:30 AM: Found Microsoft Online Services Server (provisioning.microsoftonline.com) of type (ProvisioningService).
    VERBOSE: 2/16/2010 10:25:30 AM: Found Microsoft Online Services Server (provisioning.microsoftonline.com) of type (ProvisioningService).
    VERBOSE: 2/16/2010 10:25:30 AM: Found Microsoft Online Services Server (red001.mail.microsoftonline.com) of type (CasService).
    VERBOSE: 2/16/2010 10:25:30 AM: Opening the target session for WebDAV Injector.
    VERBOSE: 2/16/2010 10:25:30 AM: Exchange server root uri identified for injection by WebDAV Provider:
    https://red001.mail.microsoftonline.com/exchange/.
    VERBOSE: 2/16/2010 10:25:30 AM: WebDAV provider using the target credential parameter for injection.
    VERBOSE: 2/16/2010 10:25:30 AM: Exchange server root uri identified for injection by WebDAV Provider:
    VERBOSE: 2/16/2010 10:25:30 AM: WebDAV provider using the target credential parameter for injection.
    VERBOSE: 2/16/2010 10:25:30 AM: A match exists for user SMTP:user@domain.com as SMTP:user@domain.com in Microsoft Online
    Services.
    VERBOSE: 2/16/2010 10:25:31 AM: https://old.provider.net/exchange/user@domain.com/ will be used as mailbox URL for the source mailbox of
    SMTP:user@domain.com.
    VERBOSE: 2/16/2010 10:25:31 AM: A query is being reissued for the list of items in https://old.provider.net/exchange/user@domain.com/
    after this error: The remote server returned an error: (440) Login Timeout..
    VERBOSE: Transporter objects will be saved to
    'C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Transporter\Logs\Move-XsHostedExchangeMailboxToMicrosoftOnline 2010-02-16T10_25_38.tbin'.
    WARNING: 2/16/2010 10:25:38 AM: Signing in to the mailbox for user user@domain.com failed with code: ErrorItemNotFound, description: The
    specified object was not found in the store..
    Move-XsHostedExchangeMailboxToExchangeOnline : Unable to sign in to the Exchange Online mailbox for user user@domain.com. Check the Admin
    istration Center to make sure that this user has been activated and that the user's mailbox has been provisioned.
    At line:1 char:45
    + Move-XsHostedExchangeMailboxToExchangeOnline <<<<  -TransporterObject $user -TargetCredential $tcred -v
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (user@domain.com:String) [Move-XsHostedEx...oExchangeOnline], TransporterException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Provisioning Failed,Microsoft.Exchange.Transporter.PSI.MoveXsHostedExchangeMailboxToMicrosoftOnline

I should note I am using the admin@domain.microsoftonline.com credentials as the target credentials.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
    -Randall

Dienstag, 16. Februar 2010 16:04

Alle Antworten

• Hi, I'm afraid I don't have any really great ideas but here are a few thoughts.  I guess the first thing I'd be curious to see is what is stored in the $user variable that you run the command with.  Are you using individual account creds to access the source mailbox, or do you have an admin account which has access to all the source mailboxes?  The first error I see is:

VERBOSE: 2/16/2010 10:25:31 AM: A query is being reissued for the list of items in https://old.provider.net/exchange/user@domain.com/
    after this error: The remote server returned an error: (440) Login Timeout..

For that error I'd probably try and log into that URL via OWA with the username and password that are stored in your $user variable to make sure it has access to the mailbox.  Given that you get a Timeout error and not a Access Denied type error, it's probably not it, but still worth checking. 

Chad
    Chad Mosman, MessageOps | www.MessageOps.com
    Dienstag, 16. Februar 2010 18:46
  • Hi Chad,

Thanks for the reply. We are storing the individual user's creds for the source mailbox which work for OWA.

This is the 2nd Hosted Exchange migration that we've done that has returned the same errors. Both times, we have ended up Exporting/Importing PSTs because a solution was unknown and we were told there are too many variables with Hosted Exchange migrations to pinpoint the cause of the error. I am curious to know if anyone has successfully performed a Hosted Exchange migration, and if so, from what provider(s).

So far I'd add 1&1 and Mi8/Apptix to the list of providers that don't play well with the Migration Toolkit.

-Randall
    Dienstag, 16. Februar 2010 21:11
  • I have performed a couple hosted migrations, but they were from much smaller hosters.  I've also used the hosted Exchange migration option on a client who had multiple Exchange orgs in their company and we used the hosted migration option to consolidate everything to Exchange Online.  Another option you might want to check out is www.migrationwiz.com.  You have to pay for it, but it's probably worth it if the alternative is PST export/import.  You can sign up for a trial account on their page and verify it works before you buy.

Chad

Chad Mosman, MessageOps | www.MessageOps.com
    Dienstag, 16. Februar 2010 22:02
  • I have heard of them before, but was hoping the Migration Toolkit would pull through. Guess I'll give them a shot.

Just for fun, I tried the Migration Console again, and now it gets a bit farther, but errors out with "Could not connect to source EWS using source server old.provider.net"

Dienstag, 16. Februar 2010 22:26
  • I am experiencing the same issue while migrating from Hosted Exchange 2003 to BPOS...
    "Could not connect to source EWS using source server."

1) I can succesfully logon to OWA using source account and password
    2) Transporter is successful in querying the mailbox size to determine quota
    3) Transporter connects to source server and begins reading source mailbox folders
    4) Transporter then connects to target server and begins processing mail items
    5) Transporter fails with error after about 5 minutes

Did you ever discover a solution?  RjZ

Freitag, 14. Mai 2010 20:15
  • Hi Roman,

My solution was to migrate the mailbox data using www.migrationwiz.com. I have used them again many times since and highly recommend them!

Best,

Randall Kent | The Sevaa Group | www.sevaa.com
    Freitag, 14. Mai 2010 20:44
  • I spoke with Apptix early this morning and they suggested using:

mail.hostaccount.com

as the SourceServer for Microsoft Online Services Migration Tools when migrating hosted Exchange accounts to Microsoft BPOS.  I've tried it with one mailbox (about 2.5 Gb) successfully with only a few errors (which I've submitted to MSFT BPOS support for evaluation), but no catastrophic failures.

I'm testing with three more mailboxes now and hopefully this will work well.

Note that I tried migrationwiz.com and they know Apptix via the url https://mail.apptix.net.  The trial migration I did (it quit after its stated 10 Mb of data xfer and building the entire folder hierarchy) seemed to work well.  However, if this new SourceServer value works well, I may be able to use the Microsoft tools instead of going to a third party.

I hope this helps someone else.

Regards,

Mark Mathias

Freitag, 14. Januar 2011 15:12
  • Hosted to Hosted Migration (Hosted server to Exchange Online) is based on the Export\import of Tbin files. You can manually try to export a Tbin file from your old.provider and import it exchange online. This helps us in finding the exact issue.

Use the below cmdlet to export and import Tbin files

To get the Tbin for One user:

Get-XsHostedExchangeMailboxData -Sourceserver “red001.mail.microsoftonline.com” -sourceidentity “Email address of user” | export-TransporterBinary -TargetFilePath d:\senz –TargetFilePrefix “filename”

To get the Tbin for all ENABLED users:

$cred=Get-Credential

$user=Get-Msonlineuser –Enabled –Credential $cred

$users|foreach-object{$identity=$_.identity; $name=$_.displayname; Get-XsHostedExchangeMailboxData -Sourceserver red001.mail.microsoftonline.com -sourceidentity $identity –SourceAdminCredential $cred | export-TransporterBinary -TargetFilePath d:\senz -TargetFilePrefix $name}

The above Cmdlet would save the backed up data in “d:\senz” location with the individual user name.

To get the Tbin for SELECTED users:

Create a CSV file with the headers “Identity” and “Displayname”

Fill in the email address and the Displayname fields.

Save this file in a location.

Now, run the following cmdlets.

$user=Import-csv –path “location\filename.csv”

$users|foreach-object{$identity=$_.identity; $name=$_.displayname; Get-XsHostedExchangeMailboxData -Sourceserver red001.mail.microsoftonline.com -sourceidentity $identity –SourceAdminCredential $cred | export-TransporterBinary -TargetFilePath d:\senz -TargetFilePrefix $name}

To Injet the Tbin into a Mailbox:

Import-TransporterBinary -Sourcefilename "Location" | Add-XsExchangeOnlineItem -Identity “Email address”

Regards, Nav - BPOS Expert
    • Als Antwort vorgeschlagen Flemingkris Montag, 24. Januar 2011 23:24
    Montag, 24. Januar 2011 23:24