none
SBS 2003 - BPOS Coexistence

Frage

• I am trying to set up BPOS with SBS 2003 and allow some users to migrate to BPOS and whilst testing leave some users on SBS 2003. I have managed to set everything up without performing the Dirsync. The only problem is that the BPOS user cannot send emails to users on the same Domain who are still in the SBS 2003 environment. Any ideas

Rgds

Tj

Mittwoch, 2. März 2011 15:35

Alle Antworten

• duplicate.. look up..
    Mittwoch, 2. März 2011 20:53
  • how are you getting your users into BPOS? You need to do a full import of all mail users for coexistence, whether you use DirSync or upload a CSV. Is your BPOS domain set up as external relay or authoritative? It needs to be set to external relay or coexistence won't work. Seems odd you wouldn't want to use the DirSync tool, this is the only proven way to keep your GAL's synced up properly. I'd recommend it.

Jorge R. Diaz, PMP, CCNA, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS

Senior Microsoft Consultant

Planet Technologies, Inc.

Check out My Blog!

Mittwoch, 2. März 2011 21:58
  • I'm attempting to do the very same thing. A problem exists in that the directory synchronization tool won't install on the SBS server since it's a DC and the network that my server exists in this SBS box is the only server in the domain. Another prerequisite of the tool is that you install it on either server 2003 or server 2008.

What's a tech to do? BPOS doesn't make it easy for the small business network to co-exist.

Anyone got another method?

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff Adzima netCIO
    Donnerstag, 3. März 2011 06:41
  • Right, the tool won't work on a DC, but you can easily build a 2003 or x86 2008 server to deploy the tool on, you can even create a simple virtual machine to accomplish this. The hardware could be an old workstation, it isn't critical to be on server class hardware. 

The other methods are to export your AD using CSVDE and running a bulk import either through the admin console or through PowerShell.

http://www.microsoft.com/online/help/en-us/helphowto/0c87b12c-2a23-49bd-8c4a-d5e6a4471789.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/online/help/en-us/helphowto/337f0b2d-facf-4e2d-8d4c-58ae5bab80c9.htm

Thanks,

Check out My Blog!

Donnerstag, 3. März 2011 13:34
  • Hi Jorge,

I installed the DirSync on 2K8 memeber server everything went fine including the sync start.

But how could I know if sync is really running, proccessing or whatever? Are there any PS command line that I can use?

Best regards.

Saladin.

Saladin
    Sonntag, 27. März 2011 21:50
  • Just look for event ID's 0-4 in the Application Event Log on the Directory Sync Server.  Event ID 4, which says something like the Export is complete, indicates the sync is complete.

Chad

Chad Mosman, MessageOps | www.MessageOps.com
    Montag, 28. März 2011 12:01
  • Chad is right, every time a sync runs you'll see 4 event log entries indicating the sync has started, uploaded and stopped synching. Any errors will be emailed to the administrative contact email address you have posted in BPOS>

Check out My Blog!

Montag, 28. März 2011 13:29
  • Hello,

Thanks to both of you.

I looked in the MSOL admin page and I saw that contacts and DL have been sync on MSOL.

But I still cannot send e-mails to mailboxes that are on MSOL.

Something I do not understand is how the coexistence works, especially regarding DNS and Exchange "routing".

I haven't yet find any article that explains this...

Saladin
    Montag, 28. März 2011 20:55
  • Sladin,

Really all coexistence allows you to do is have an on-premise Exchange system and BPOS system together where your users and the outside world don't know they are two seperate systems. Setting it up can be confusing, but often times I think people just overthink things.

DNS/MX records are easy, they don't change until you have moved all of your users up to the cloud and you are ready to retire your on-premise exchange system.

Now that you have BPOS set up and you are synchronizing your user accounts up to the cloud your next step is to start moving accounts, before doing any full migrations I would recommend you test with an account.

here is a good walkthrough:

http://www.microsoft.com/online/help/en-us/helphowto/6762e0fd-04cf-4be9-acd5-e4680ef73696.htm

Check out My Blog!

Dienstag, 29. März 2011 00:26
  • Hello Jorge,

Thanks for the information.

So like we say in French : this a view of mind. Coxesitence is not really a coexistence ?

Waht I want to do is having my on-premise SBS2003 and MSOL communcating using my domain name.

What is the use of the CNAME added for MSOL in my DNS?

Saladin
    Dienstag, 29. März 2011 08:37
  • It is coexistence, but in its simplest form :) Office 365 will offer true rich-coexistence.

The CNAME record is only there for domain verification. It shows Microsoft that you have the administrative ability to manipulate public DNS records and are the authoritative admin for that domain namespace. It doesn't acutally do any sort of routing or perform any mechanical function.

Check out My Blog!

Mittwoch, 30. März 2011 17:41