none
Outlook Rules Not Working on Certain Messages

Question

• Exchange 2007 Environment 

I have an issue where i need to have a email message get forwarded to an external mailbox when it arrives in the inbox. However this is not happening upon arrival of the message. I can run the rule manually and it will pickup the message and send it....

This email message is coming from our Cisco Unity Voice Mail system. This system connects and uses the Exchange Web Services to function.

Here is the email header of the message that does't work correctly.

Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 19:13:12 +0000
    From: "Cisco Unity Connection Messaging System" <unityconnection-00000@abc.com>
    To: "holmes, Jones" <larryFlint@wwt.com>
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Message-ID: <MAL.64fa56d4-2958-41d2-a7c8-c1dc8dcaf40d@unityServer01>
    X-CiscoUnity-HandlerId: 85d06bb0-48e5-4fb5-9b33-2009cd82c3fd
    X-CiscoUnity-CallerAni: 3146666666
    Importance: Normal
    X-Priority: 3
    Sensitivity: None
    Subject: Message from Unknown sender (314666666)
    X-CiscoUnity-MessageType: SynchVoice
    Content-Type: audio/wav; name="VoiceMessage.wav"
    Content-Disposition: inline; filename="VoiceMessage.wav"; voice=Voice-Message
    X-CiscoUnity-DbMessageId: 6b5376de-4f27-4350-b1e6-3fa9a3f626e3
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
    x-ciscounity-messageduration: 2070
    x-CiscoUnity-SyncTime: 25-Jun-2012 19:13:12 +0000
    Content-Class: urn:content-class:custom.Cisco.Unity.Voice

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work? The rules work on any other message that i get except for these that come from the unity voice mail system.

Thanks

Mike L.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:42 PM

All replies

• For BPOS (and I believe O365 as well), External forwarding is disabled for Server-side rules.  You can set forwarding on your mailbox to an external contact which will forwarding ALL mail, but rule-based forwarding is not going to function.

To set forwarding on a mailbox, you need a contact created for the target and then set it with Set-MSOnlineAlternateRecipient.
    (instructional video (BPOS): http://blogs.technet.com/b/msonline/archive/2011/02/21/email-forwarding-with-microsoft-exchange-online.aspx).

In O365 you can use set-mailbox to configuring forwarding.

Have a great day,

Dan

www.insecurityinc.info

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 11:11 PM
  • I know this is an old thread but others may find it and find this helpful.  The problem you are seeing here is that message rules (like your forwarding one) only run upon delivery of a message (or manually) and voice mail messages coming from Cisco Unity Voice Mail are never actually "delivered".  At least in our case (Exchange 2010, Cisco Unity 9.1.1), the messages are actually placed directly in the users mailbox by Cisco Unity and not delivered, therefore never triggering the forwarding rule.  I'm not currently aware of any way to make these rules work with voice messages coming from Cisco.

Thanks,

Marc

Monday, July 29, 2013 8:07 PM
  • Marc is correct.  Here is a little more info on the issue.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/69491/single-inbox-and-working-outlook-rules

Tuesday, April 08, 2014 8:08 PM