none
special characters not allowed in file name

Question

• I posting files to my sharepoint site and am getting an error that special characters are not allowed in file names.  Is there a configuration I can change to allow special characters, or, is this the way it is?
    Sunday, October 24, 2010 9:30 PM

Answers

• Hi RuthAnnV. Unfortunately that is the way it is. SharePoint Online and SharePoint on-premises ban a range of characters and character combinations as standard. For example ampresand is not allowed, niether are files or folders allowed to have more than one consectutive period .. There are a bunch of other rules too.

If you are working on a large file migration then I'd recommend a tool to assist you. Our tool, Files To Go takes care of all those banned characters automatically when migrating from file shares to SharePoint Online.

Hope this helps.

Myles Jeffery | Thinkscape | SharePoint Online Deployment | SharePoint Online File Migration Tool
    • Marked as answer by RValdivia Tuesday, October 26, 2010 6:36 PM
    Monday, October 25, 2010 2:11 PM

All replies

• Hi RuthAnnV. Unfortunately that is the way it is. SharePoint Online and SharePoint on-premises ban a range of characters and character combinations as standard. For example ampresand is not allowed, niether are files or folders allowed to have more than one consectutive period .. There are a bunch of other rules too.

If you are working on a large file migration then I'd recommend a tool to assist you. Our tool, Files To Go takes care of all those banned characters automatically when migrating from file shares to SharePoint Online.

Hope this helps.

Myles Jeffery | Thinkscape | SharePoint Online Deployment | SharePoint Online File Migration Tool
    • Marked as answer by RValdivia Tuesday, October 26, 2010 6:36 PM
    Monday, October 25, 2010 2:11 PM
  • Will you send me your url so I can be sure to get the right product?  So, I have 50gb of data, I get your product, and it will upload all my files for me?

thx

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:58 PM
  • Hi RuthAnnV. If you register your details at this URL http://www.thinkscape.com/SharePoint-Online-File-Migration-Tool/ then I will reply to your email address with instructions for download.

Yes, it will handle 50GB of data and more. We have had customers upload similar amounts of data to SharePoint Online.

We also have an analyzer tool that will help identify problem files for you before you start the upload.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 7:16 PM
  • OK - so, I think we want the analyzer tool vs. the upload tool?  Our biggest problem are the number of files that do not conform with sharepoint's labeling requirements.
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 7:32 PM
  • ... There are a bunch of other rules too...

Is there someplace that lists all of the rules?

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:08 PM