none
Email Delays Again? 5/19/2011

Question

• Noticing emails not getting to people, sent one hours ago to another Exchange user and he still hasn't got it, and had some users complain, seems like trouble again!  Giving support a call now...
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Folks,

We do moderate these forums. I wasn't aware that we are locking threads, but this may be done to allow our Support team to mark the discussion as answered or closed, so they can concentrate on newer discussions. If you do encounter a locked thread, feel free to spin up a new one on the same topic.

As of this morning, we are investigating reports of intermittent mail flow issues affecting Exchange Online users served from the Americas data center. We are publishing information to customers via our normal communication channels. Check the Service Health Dashboard for the latest information. We apologize for any inconvenience this causes our customers.

JRG_MSFT

JRG (MSFT)
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 6:03 PM
    Owner

All replies

• I am seeing this as well.  40 min delays on many emails.
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:42 PM
  • Same here.  I filed a ticket.  I think this is going to be BPOS's third strike for us.
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:42 PM
  • I called the support line and nobody ever answered, after going through the menu it just rang and rang so hung up and opened ticket online.  Looks like our emails are being delayed 30min+, grrrrrr!  They need to get their sh1t together and fast!
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:44 PM
  • We are having delays ranging from 15 to 60 minutes again!  Oh joy.

Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:47 PM
  • I just love how the health status is usually green whenever we have these problems.
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:48 PM
  • ok it finally changed to orange. heh
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:51 PM
  • I just love how the health status is usually green whenever we have these problems.

I'm assuming we must have been the first people to notice it, and noticed it before they did, but that shouldn't happen, they should have some sort of proactive monitoring for backups like this and be quicker to update the dashboard.  They are going to lose us as new customers if they don't shape up soon, and we have over 1500 accounts with them that we are finishing up migrating so I really don't want to go with somebody else but we're gonna have to if this keeps up.

It's the most useless page ever.  And they hide the page behind a password than you have to keep slamming every 10 minutes.  How about a useful RSS feed with actual status.  Or a useful CS dept with english speaking people.  If the page were accurate I think you would find a lot more "degradation" than they own up to.

It's the most useless page ever.  And they hide the page behind a password than you have to keep slamming every 10 minutes.  How about a useful RSS feed with actual status.  Or a useful CS dept with english speaking people.  If the page were accurate I think you would find a lot more "degradation" than they own up to.

There's been numerous times, it never went to green for a date that we had delays like this in the past.   Once I called just to tell them, please change it to orange. heh
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:53 PM

I'm assuming we must have been the first people to notice it, and noticed it before they did, but that shouldn't happen, they should have some sort of proactive monitoring for backups like this and be quicker to update the dashboard.  They are going to lose us as new customers if they don't shape up soon, and we have over 1500 accounts with them that we are finishing up migrating so I really don't want to go with somebody else but we're gonna have to if this keeps up.

We haven't finished our migration because everytime we try to proceed we get a day like this.
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:54 PM
  • I'm seeing some delays as well. An external email had a 7 min delay between gmail and bpos delivery. If really bad delays continue, there is little doubt we will be migrating back to internal exchange or maybe corporate gmail. Business cannot function like this and I would have very little confidence in MS's ability to support its SLA in either this or office360.
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:57 PM
  • Their SLA is shot all to hell, but as long as they keep posting the service is "working", they can fudge the SLA. 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onlineservicesexchange/thread/d0c1edcf-0f56-48bb-98b6-5db92f4a1029

And this is only our company's second week on BPOS, I can't wait for the third!  :(

Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:57 PM
  • About 7 minutes for us between gmail and BPOS. about average really... Located in SLC, UT.
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 4:01 PM
  • Dashboard is at Degradation right now. 
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 4:07 PM
  • 11:33AM  The BPOS Operations team is working to resolve service degradation for Exchange Online mail flow for a percentage of organizations served from this region. Some users in affected organizations will experience ~5-15 minute delays when trying to send or receive e-mail using Outlook, OWA, or mobile devices. The BPOS Operations team is actively working to restore service. Next update will be within one hour or when new information is available.

I'm still seeing ~30 min delays though, so this isn't accurate.

Thursday, May 19, 2011 4:41 PM
  • Does MS even moderate these forums? If so, why isnt it obvious to them as it is to us that communication is lacking here. Even "proactive monitoring" ie the dashboard is shotty at best.

Execs are fed up and as soon as I have a window, Google apps it is ....

Thursday, May 19, 2011 4:50 PM
  • I just got a test email sent to an external gmail account that I sent 2 hours ago.  As usual, the dashboard is an inaccurate representation of what's actually happening.

And Jimmy, MS doesn't seem to moderate these forums when there is an active "degradation" going on...but they sure are fast to come in and lock a thread like this once the problem is "fixed."

Thursday, May 19, 2011 5:00 PM
  • Here we go again ... hardly a week has passed since the last problem and we're experiencing mailflow problems again ...experiencing 60+ minutes delays ...

On an unrelated note, not sure why they locked the last mailflow thread ...

Thursday, May 19, 2011 5:45 PM
  • Hi Folks,

We do moderate these forums. I wasn't aware that we are locking threads, but this may be done to allow our Support team to mark the discussion as answered or closed, so they can concentrate on newer discussions. If you do encounter a locked thread, feel free to spin up a new one on the same topic.

As of this morning, we are investigating reports of intermittent mail flow issues affecting Exchange Online users served from the Americas data center. We are publishing information to customers via our normal communication channels. Check the Service Health Dashboard for the latest information. We apologize for any inconvenience this causes our customers.

JRG_MSFT

JRG (MSFT)
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 6:03 PM
    Owner
  • Call it whatever you want, a degredation or an outage, when it takes close to 2 HOURS for a message to be delivered to someone who works down the hall the only thing we end up with out here is pissed off management. And yes, I will gladly confirm that we were seeing close to two hour delays today, your "5-15 minute delays" updates that you put on the helath console are not correct.
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 8:08 PM
  • Mail seemed to be flowing for us OK... but it is *obviously* hard to tell.

The CEO just reported a very important message he just received 6 hours late.  We cant keep doing this.  Was that 6 hours all attributed to BPOS?   I dont know, and really it is ceasing to matter since this never happens with our own systems.

I wonder how many other messages are out there undelivered at this time?  Only our third week on BPOS, and I think our options have been reduced to 'resolving the problem', probably by falling back to our internal exchange server.

This has been a catastrophic nightmare.  I have been a trusted tech leader here for 10 years, now I am starting to look like an idiot.  Thanks, I appreciate it.

Thursday, May 19, 2011 9:25 PM