none
SharePoint and PowerPoint compatibility problem

Question

• SharePoint Online requires PowePoint Professional before it will let my upload files to it.  I have Office Business do I have to buy the entire upgrade suite to get this to work?
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Sunday, July 12, 2009 4:42 PM SP Onine question (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion)
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 3:53 PM

Answers

• This is, unfortunately, a known compatibility issue.
    The error indicates that Office 2007 Professional is required.
    The documentation for Slide Libraries indicates that either Pro Plus, Enterprise, or Ultimate is required.

The actual result is that ONLY Professional Plus or Enterprise works fully with this feature.

The only problem with this is that both Professional Plus and Enterprise are Open/Volume License-only SKU's.

Tuesday, March 09, 2010 11:35 PM

All replies

• I don't think this is a SharePoint question.  You need to ask your rep at SharePoint Online what you need to do. 

As for Office suites, I am not aware of a PowerPoint professional version.  Yes, there is an Office Professional (standard suite that includes the normal Office products), and there is a Professional Plus that includes InfoPath.  However, the different Office suites all have the same version of PowerPoint as far as I've seen.  The different Office suites include different product combos - not different levels of each product.  I'm not familiar with Office Businss, though.  So, does SharePoint Online really require "PowerPoint Professional" or just Office Professional?
    SharePoint Architect || My Blog
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 4:36 PM
  • I can move this to the SharePoint Online fourm ...

Off it goes.
    WSS FAQ sites: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com and http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 / MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 4:40 PM
  • SharePoint Online doesn't require any special SKU of Office or PowerPoint. However, we do require PowerPoint 2007.

Can you share some more information to help diagnose the issue?

What version of PowerPoint/Office are you running?
    What exactly are you trying to do?
    What do you actually see when it doesn't work?
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:09 PM
  • I have run into this problem recently.  Using PowerPoint from an Office 2007 Small Business installtion I was not able to upload slides to a slide library.  The option was either greyed out or not even visible (can't remember).  After installing Office Professional I was able to upload the slides.

Hope this helps.

JeffB
    Friday, July 17, 2009 3:10 PM
  • This issue is not unique to SharePoint Online. The same behavior exists for SharePoint Server running on premises. This feature in PowerPoint is not enabled in all versions.
    • Proposed as answer by Clayton Cobb Monday, July 20, 2009 4:51 PM
    Monday, July 20, 2009 4:50 PM
  • Troy,

Originally I had 2007 edition of Microsoft Small Buiness and Microsoft Vista.

After about 15 hours trying to get OneNote to work with SharePoint... I was advised by Microsoft that I would need to purchase Business Professional or "higher" to make the Slide Library to work correctly.

I did purchase Ultimate and nearly 10 hours or so later it still is not working. 

Next we (me and Microsoft) spent another 10 hours or so... "reworking" the install and the uninstall of Ultimate to make sure that it was "seated" and working with all the programs of Microsoft Ultimate... replacing the OEM tags of the exact same programs with the Ultimate tags.  We did that and we finished the work and verified that happened. 

That moved the effort closer... before we did all this the effort would just give us a pop up box error message that said we needed to use Microsoft Office Professional... now we are getting the slides to come up in Powerpoint... but it will not publish those slides to the library.  When we go to publish we get the following error message: 

Task 'SharePoint' reported error (0x80004005): 'An error occurred in this SharePoint List (Infinisource Presentation - Contacts). Try updating the folder again.  If the problem continues, contact the SharePoint site administrator. HTTP 500. The server returned the following error message: Exception of type 'Microsoft.SharePoint.SoapServer.SoapServerException' was thrown.'

I want to use the SharePoint correctly because I am a headhunter.  I specialize in "Collaboration Management." Aside from that I have a very important meeting and presentation coming up... I am supposed to be the Collaboration garu.  This particular presentation needs directed Collaboration from three different cities and time zones... etc.  Working and reworking the slides in the library would be the process that would lead to success. 

Saturday, July 25, 2009 2:39 AM
  • Of all the time I've used the slide library, this has never happened.  I actually have used the slide library with SharePoint Online, too, and that was with Office 2007 ProPlus.
    SharePoint Architect || My Blog
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 3:58 AM
  • This is, unfortunately, a known compatibility issue.
    The error indicates that Office 2007 Professional is required.
    The documentation for Slide Libraries indicates that either Pro Plus, Enterprise, or Ultimate is required.

The actual result is that ONLY Professional Plus or Enterprise works fully with this feature.

The only problem with this is that both Professional Plus and Enterprise are Open/Volume License-only SKU's.

Tuesday, March 09, 2010 11:35 PM
  • So how do get this fixed? Whose on point for cleaning up the docs, making this clear? And who do people write to to make the case the in the world of SharePoint Online the slide library feature should be in Office Pro and not limited to Volume Liscensed SKUs?
    brett hill Brettblog.com
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:58 PM
  • I agree, this is one of those things that just turn customers off in a big way.  And error message that tells you that you need to have software that you already have!!!!  I have office professional that I bought when I bought my laptop. 

I was the 1st to post a comment here about it: http://blogs.technet.com/b/msonline/archive/2010/08/16/more-fun-with-sharepoint-online-creating-and-using-a-slide-library.aspx

And without a open/volume licence, you can't even get the software you need to make this work!!

I am having many second thoughts these days about advocating BPOS to my customers.  Too many little glitches like this...

Thursday, September 23, 2010 4:59 PM