none
Remotely connecting my computer with Microsoft Technical Support

Question

• I hve been in touch with Microsoft Windows Technical Support during the last few days. The person who has been in touch with me by e-mail, now wants to connect remotely to my computer to assist me with a computer problem. Is this a normal procedure? Also I need to make sure this is a bona-fide request made with the authority and knowledge of Microsoft. I appreciate the assistance offered but I am a little nervous about this and I won't be comfortable doing this without first confirming the above.
    melita
    Friday, December 23, 2011 1:22 PM

Answers

• Melita,

They will direct you to using a website and use Office Live Meeting to connect to your machine.  this is common when they are directing you to do something.   support.microsoft.com/ea is the site.

They will direct you to install a custom piece of software for remotely viewing your machine and walking you through steps.

This is not different than a service provider using Citrix Go to Assist or LogMein.  Its safe.

Jason

• Marked as answer by floccinaucini Saturday, February 04, 2012 8:39 PM
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 4:34 PM
  • Melita,

There is no wrong in enquiring about the Support policies.

Microsoft has its support centers across the globe, and as part of delivering the support, they use email, phone & remote sessions. These sessions can be recorded too. During the remote session, the engineer also can request you to provide control so that he can remotely perform necessary troubleshooting or solutions.

If you are still uncomfortable with the idea of remote session, you can either provide them read-only access, or decline the request asking them to provide support over phone or email.

Regards, Chandra.
    • Marked as answer by floccinaucini Saturday, February 04, 2012 8:34 PM
    Friday, February 03, 2012 10:36 PM
  • Melita,

Yes he was likely trying to remote in, or just walk you through the steps.  The support teams for Microsoft are scattered across the globe, and Microsoft always reserves the right to share your support information in any country, you'll hear that message when you call for help.

You can request that they just watch and walk you through it, and not remotely control your machine.  Taking control of your machine, as long as you know its a Microsoft support resource, is a secure process.  They use SSL/TLS encryption (same as Lync), a live meeting protocol.  It is a secure connection, and you can cut it off at any time.

Jason Wingert

• Marked as answer by floccinaucini Saturday, February 04, 2012 9:18 PM
    Saturday, February 04, 2012 8:36 PM
  • Hello Chandran,

Thank you for very much for all this information.

Best regards

melita
    Saturday, February 04, 2012 8:40 PM
  • Hello Jason,

My knowledge in computing is very limited. So thank you for clarifying this matter.

Best regards

melita
    • Marked as answer by floccinaucini Friday, February 10, 2012 5:26 PM
    Saturday, February 04, 2012 9:21 PM

All replies

• windos viruse

Saturday, December 24, 2011 5:01 PM
  • Hello Moderater,

The user, "ericvezina" who posted a frivolous and undicipherable reply of two words above, to my question, has been awarded a bronze point! I don't believe this!! 

This is the only activity in this persons profile. There is something radically wrong with your administrators if this is their criteria for awarding points. Don't you agree?

Regards

melita

Friday, January 20, 2012 4:24 PM
  • Melita,

They will direct you to using a website and use Office Live Meeting to connect to your machine.  this is common when they are directing you to do something.   support.microsoft.com/ea is the site.

They will direct you to install a custom piece of software for remotely viewing your machine and walking you through steps.

This is not different than a service provider using Citrix Go to Assist or LogMein.  Its safe.

Jason

• Marked as answer by floccinaucini Saturday, February 04, 2012 8:39 PM
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 4:34 PM
  • Hello Jason,

Many thanks for this. What made me uncomfortable was that the support person was on e-mail with me from Bangalore, India. I thought he was trying to connect to my computer from his own machine. Am I wrong to have assumed that?

Regards

melita
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 10:00 PM
  • Melita,

There is no wrong in enquiring about the Support policies.

Microsoft has its support centers across the globe, and as part of delivering the support, they use email, phone & remote sessions. These sessions can be recorded too. During the remote session, the engineer also can request you to provide control so that he can remotely perform necessary troubleshooting or solutions.

If you are still uncomfortable with the idea of remote session, you can either provide them read-only access, or decline the request asking them to provide support over phone or email.

Regards, Chandra.
    • Marked as answer by floccinaucini Saturday, February 04, 2012 8:34 PM
    Friday, February 03, 2012 10:36 PM
  • Melita,

Yes he was likely trying to remote in, or just walk you through the steps.  The support teams for Microsoft are scattered across the globe, and Microsoft always reserves the right to share your support information in any country, you'll hear that message when you call for help.

You can request that they just watch and walk you through it, and not remotely control your machine.  Taking control of your machine, as long as you know its a Microsoft support resource, is a secure process.  They use SSL/TLS encryption (same as Lync), a live meeting protocol.  It is a secure connection, and you can cut it off at any time.

Jason Wingert

• Marked as answer by floccinaucini Saturday, February 04, 2012 9:18 PM
    Saturday, February 04, 2012 8:36 PM
  • Hello Chandran,

Thank you for very much for all this information.

Best regards

melita
    Saturday, February 04, 2012 8:40 PM
  • Hello Jason,

My knowledge in computing is very limited. So thank you for clarifying this matter.

Best regards

melita
    • Marked as answer by floccinaucini Friday, February 10, 2012 5:26 PM
    Saturday, February 04, 2012 9:21 PM