none
BPOS to Office 365 autodiscover records ??

Question

• I am not sure if this is the right forum or not but here goes.

One of my clients is going to be migrated from BPOS to Office 365. They have NOT received notification of migration date yet but we want to get the prep work done.

My question is about the autodiscover records. Using the documentation from Microsoft at the link below "Transition BPOS to Office 365:Checklist for Administrators" the new autodiscover DNS records for autodiscover.outlook.com were created but the original autodiscover DNS records for AutoDiscoverRedirect-red001.mail.microsoftonline.com" also still exist.

http://www.microsoft.com/online/help/en-us/helphowto/8939e90a-59dc-4f0f-aec0-19a899c0af75.htm

Should the original autodiscover DNS records "AutoDiscoverRedirect-red001.mail.microsoftonline.com" be deleted leaving only the autodiscover.outlook.com autodiscover DNS record?

Microsoft documentation was not too clear, to me anyhow, on that saying in the "Check list for administrators" to create or update the following CNAME record. Should I assume the update means that only the autodiscover.outlook.com should be there for the autodiscover DNS record??

Also will we be getting any more instructions from Microsoft when the migration to Office 365 is officially scheduled?

For instance I have not been able to find out with the documentation from the links that they provided us if the Microsoft Sign in Client will still be used for Office 365 or not?? If not when should it be uninstalled??

Thanks so much for any help. I want to make sure everything goes as smooth as possible.

Steve

Monday, March 26, 2012 11:17 PM

Answers

• Steve,

Thank you very much for your questions.  I will answer them the best I can.

1. The AutoDiscover record should be created DURING THE WEEKEND OF THE TRANSITION or at whichever schedule your DNS provider updates.  I understand the checklist indicates otherwise, but it is due to be changed and, without fail, all customers I've dealt with that changed the DNS record prior to transition ended up getting autodiscover prompts until they were transitioned (as a point of clarity, this was primarily seen with the internal DNS record vs the public DNS record).  The reason it indicates creation instead of replacing is that BPOS's Sign-in client creates a registry key that invalidates the need for a DNS entry.  This means that, as long as your users are using the Sign in client for BPOS, you can delete the AutoDiscover DNS record for BPOS.  And, to pull everything together, I'm confirming that the new AutoDiscover record replaces the old one and the old one should be deleted.

2. You will get emails at different stages of the transition process.  You can see more thorough transition information in this doc.  At T-60 you get your initial email.  At T-30 you get an update and at T-14 you get your specific date.  The fact that you've received an email indicates you probably have less than 60 days until your transition date.  You will also get email at T-2 indicating your MOAC will be locked, and at T-0 (transition weekend) indicating both start and end of transition.

3.  The Sign-in client (SIC) for BPOS is NOT used in O365.  After transition, a user can log into the SIC and it will, basically, be blank.  Since the SIC is transition-aware, it will, upon initial logon after transition, remove previous Registry keys and then set itself to be disabled 5 days later.  This is, actually, a recommended step for transition as it removes Outlook's preference for a local XML file to redirect for AutoDiscover.  I recommend that my customers plan to remove the SIC 2 weeks post-transition to give users time to log in initially and start to process to have it disable itself.

Hope this helps,

Dan

www.insecurityinc.info

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 5:41 PM

All replies

• Steve,

Thank you very much for your questions.  I will answer them the best I can.

1. The AutoDiscover record should be created DURING THE WEEKEND OF THE TRANSITION or at whichever schedule your DNS provider updates.  I understand the checklist indicates otherwise, but it is due to be changed and, without fail, all customers I've dealt with that changed the DNS record prior to transition ended up getting autodiscover prompts until they were transitioned (as a point of clarity, this was primarily seen with the internal DNS record vs the public DNS record).  The reason it indicates creation instead of replacing is that BPOS's Sign-in client creates a registry key that invalidates the need for a DNS entry.  This means that, as long as your users are using the Sign in client for BPOS, you can delete the AutoDiscover DNS record for BPOS.  And, to pull everything together, I'm confirming that the new AutoDiscover record replaces the old one and the old one should be deleted.

2. You will get emails at different stages of the transition process.  You can see more thorough transition information in this doc.  At T-60 you get your initial email.  At T-30 you get an update and at T-14 you get your specific date.  The fact that you've received an email indicates you probably have less than 60 days until your transition date.  You will also get email at T-2 indicating your MOAC will be locked, and at T-0 (transition weekend) indicating both start and end of transition.

3.  The Sign-in client (SIC) for BPOS is NOT used in O365.  After transition, a user can log into the SIC and it will, basically, be blank.  Since the SIC is transition-aware, it will, upon initial logon after transition, remove previous Registry keys and then set itself to be disabled 5 days later.  This is, actually, a recommended step for transition as it removes Outlook's preference for a local XML file to redirect for AutoDiscover.  I recommend that my customers plan to remove the SIC 2 weeks post-transition to give users time to log in initially and start to process to have it disable itself.

Hope this helps,

Dan

www.insecurityinc.info

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 5:41 PM
  • Thank you Dan!

That was extremely helpful and exactly what I needed to know!

Steve

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:20 PM