none
Problems using Sign-On with Windows 7.

Question

• I up[graded a VISTA Ultimate with BPOS Sign-On to Windows 7 no I get multiple failures when rebooting and starting the sign-On client. I reported the problem in the Windows 7 Beta and they just closed the problem with no action saying it was a Microsoft BPOS problem and not a Windows 7 problem. Since it worked fine in VISTA Ultimate and stopped working with Windows 7 it is actually a change in Windows but in any case it is a Microsoft problem and should at least be investigated insted of being closed with no action. Has anyone else noticed issues on Windows 7 test systems.

I also have a Server 2008 Enterprise Server test system that I had the Sign-on c lint installed and it was working fine but after an upgrade to Server 2008 R2 (Windows 7) it started failing also.

The failures report a message similar to some of the other reported in this news group about the wrong date or time. If I retry several time I will get the message repeated and sometime the message will switch to one about not being able to save the configuration. After several tries it will eventually work. It will remain working until I reboot and then I have to go through the multiple tries again. I can bypass the Sign-on client and just start Outlook or sharepoint and enter my username and password and everything is fine.

I get the following messages for different attempts in no particular order. The messages appear below the Sign In button:

1. There was an error while preparing your application dashboard. Please try again. 

2. Your Computer's date and time settings are not correct. You must update your computers date and timebefore connecting to Microsoft Online Services. If the problem persists, contact your service administrator.

3. There is a third message about saving the configuration but I did not get it this time and I will lose this message if I reboot to try to capture that message.

Bill Walter

Sunday, January 25, 2009 6:28 PM

Answers

• Hey Bill,

There's a few new security features in Windows 7 Beta that causes this to happen.

We are working with the Windows 7 team to fix this, and working to find a fix with our backend to mitigate the issue.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:49 PM

All replies

• Hi again Bill,

I have a document around setting the firewall setting and this soves one of the BPOS client settings issues you are having.

The Time issue is a Windows 7 Issue, and if you have the firewall set correctly, and go out and get the clock setting from the internet the client will sign in fine.

If you want feel free to call or send me a note

Jay Magness 714-681-4639 / jmagness@pftllc.com

Sunday, January 25, 2009 7:11 PM
  • Hey Bill,

There's a few new security features in Windows 7 Beta that causes this to happen.

We are working with the Windows 7 team to fix this, and working to find a fix with our backend to mitigate the issue.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 10:49 PM
  • Is this a little (fix available in Feb) or a big problem (fix available in August)? Do you feel it is important enough to provide a resolution during the Windows 7 Beta so it can be adequately tested or are you going to keep it private until Windows 7 is actually released. The fact that it works with VISTA and does not work with Windows 7 is a real good indication that BPOS is not very forward looking and has not been tested adequately in environments that are likely to occur in the near future.

Bill Walter
    Sunday, February 01, 2009 5:26 PM
  • Bill,

Please realise that Windows 7 is still a Beta release and because a back-end fix is required it will logistically take some time.  Stating that this situtation is a 'real good indication that BPOS is not...forward looking" is not a very fair assesment, IMO.  I've been working closely with many members of the BPOS team and they have been working their collective butts off on supporting current migration projects and other tasks related to launching additional services.

Additionally, I'm running W7 and I just use the BPOS client in one of my XP virtual guests as a work-around.  Also the Admin console seems to work fine in IE8.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Monday, February 02, 2009 1:13 PM
  • We have fixed this issue now in our backend. Sign in client should connect fine from Windows 7 machines now. Let us know if you are having issues.

The problem was - a recent security related fix in the Windows 7 WCF layer resulted in 2 SSL/TCP connections to be used instead of 1. The 2 connections were split between the servers sitting behind our network load balancers. The sign in client was getting confused and was displaying a generic security related error message.
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 12:58 AM
  • I have three test machines.

1. The first is running Windows XP and it logs in reliably every time and has no problems opening Outlook, Sharepoint Online and Live meeting.

2. I have a VISTA ultimate machine that was running fine but after I upgraded to Windows 7 I started having the following problems.

a. I get messages  that say the following:

Your computer's date and time settings are not correct. You must update you computer's date and time before connecting to Microsoft Online Services. If the problem persists, contact your service administrator.

b. I also get the following message:

There was an error while preparing you application dashboard. Please try again later.

c. After a dozen or so tries I no longer get the messages listed above and the program logs on.

d. Once I get logged on and see the three buttone for accessing email, web conferencing and my company portal I still have problems.

1. Outlook seems to start ok.
            2. OWA starts ok but requires entering username and password. This is an issue with XP also. It just seems that single sign-on implies you don't have to reenter your username and password multiple times!!!!
            3. My Company Portal (SharePoint) works fine.
            4. Live meeting opens three different web pages trying to log on and fails on two of the pages and appears to logon on one but the address in the address bar is about:blank and the buttons on the page to join a meeting, schedule a meeting, meet now etc. all fail giving a navigation to the page failed. If I make Firefox my default browser insead of IE then Live Meeting works.

All of this is still happening this morning.

3. The third machine is a windows Enterprise Server 2008 on a Dell Precision Workstatio that I use as my workstation. It worked fine as Windows 2008 but when I upgraded it to Windows 2008 R2 (Windows 7) it exhibits exactly the same results as the VISTA machine that was upgraded to Windows 7 and it is still having the same problems this morning.

If it is fixed it is on a server that I am not connected to. Since you appear to be aware of problems and are working on them I am going to reopen the Service requests and tell the support group you told me to report any problems I am having.

Bill Walter

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 2:21 PM
  • Hi Bill,

Did you get anything from the above fixed?

I'm having similar issue with Windows 7.

another question i had is - we have few employees using WinXP MCE (Media Center Edition) which we cannot make the Sign-In tool to work at all, any insight?

Thanks
    Sunday, June 07, 2009 11:01 AM