none
hyperlink to a word document bookmark housed in Sharepoint online

Question

• Hi All,

I am experiencing some funny functionality in Sharepoint Online.

We have a word 2010 document (.docx) saved, checked in, and as a major version, in a document library.  In this word document, there are bookmark to specific areas in the document.

When we hyperlink to a bookmark in the document, the word document opens, and the cursor scrolls to the bookmark selected.  So this works correctly.
    When we keep the word document open and then click on another hyperlink to a different bookmark in the document, the cursor does not move to the new bookmark, it just stays at the previous bookmark. 

The only way we can get the new hyperlink to go to the bookmark, is if we close the word document first.

This functionality works correctly when the document is not saved on Sharepoint Online, so Sharepoint is the problem.

Anyone know of a workaround to this?
    We have also tried hyperlinkiing to pdfs housed on Sharepoint, but the same problem exists.

Thanks,
    JW

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:52 AM

Answers

• Hi JW,

From my testing, I'm getting different results from what you described. I would definitely suggest creating a case with our SharePoint Support team so that we can set up a call and look into what is going on further. Our team can be reached by creating a case in your admin center (https://admin.microsoftonline.com/) or by calling out to 866-676-6546. Good luck!

Dustin Lee

Microsoft BPOS SharePoint Support

Monday, October 17, 2011 11:39 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi jwsharepoint,

I hope everything is going well.  I would be curious about what version of SharePoint Online are we talking about.  If BPOS SharePoint 2007, are you using the relative links and they aren't working in the Word client?  If so, what version of Office?  If you are working on Office 365 SharePoint 2010, is this in the Word client or web app? 

I ran through some quick tests, and was able to get my relative links to bookmarks to work in BPOS SharePoint 2007 in my Word 2010 client as well as Office 365 SharePoint 2010 in the web app as well as in the Word 2010 client. 

With your environment info and perhaps an example of a hyperlink, we should be able to shed some further light on the subject.  I look forward to your reply.

Dustin Lee

Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:13 PM
    Owner
  • Hello jwsharepoint,

I you are having a good day and a great weekend so far. Like I mentioned in my prevous post, with more information about the environment surrounding the hyperlinks, I may be able to give some further insight into what is going on. Feel free to create a service request through your administration center if you would like to speak to one of our SharePoint Support Engineers and work through the situation.

Dustin Lee

Sunday, October 16, 2011 1:37 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Dustin,

Thanks for your reply. Info below:

We are using BPOS Sharepoint 2007.

We are not using relative links.  An example of a link we are using is:
    https://ourdomain/Test%20Library%20JW/MMG%20-%20Section%203.docx#Equipment

Can you give me an example of a relative link?  I didn't think the relative links would work due to, when opening a document, the document is downloaded to your Sharepoint drafts folder?

Thanks,

JW

Sunday, October 16, 2011 11:25 PM
  • Hi JW,

From my testing, I'm getting different results from what you described. I would definitely suggest creating a case with our SharePoint Support team so that we can set up a call and look into what is going on further. Our team can be reached by creating a case in your admin center (https://admin.microsoftonline.com/) or by calling out to 866-676-6546. Good luck!

Dustin Lee

Monday, October 17, 2011 11:39 AM
    Owner