none
Migrating from BPOS: Steps required?

Question

• Hi all,

My organization will be migrating from BPOS to an on premise 2010 server.  I would like to vet this checklist of items to consider.

Is this the appropriate sequence of events that needs to occur in order to have a smooth transition?  Are there other points to consider?  Thanks in advance...

Monday, February 21, 2011 9:29 PM

Answers

• yes, this seems to be perfect. But make sure AlternateRecepient attribute gets configured properly during the migration process.
    Regards, Kris - BPOS Expert
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 10:45 AM

All replies

• yes, this seems to be perfect. But make sure AlternateRecepient attribute gets configured properly during the migration process.
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 10:45 AM
  • Thanks for your prompt response.  Just so we're on the same page, where's the AlternateRecipient attribute?  While this was all handled going up to the cloud by the Migration tool, I guess it's not in Microsoft's best interest to invest in getting people off their service.
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 7:59 PM
  • Henry,

These attributes can be viewed at your local environment. Use ADSIEDIT and navigate to the corresponding user object. Look out for AlternateRecepient in the properties.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:38 PM
  • Hi Henry

I'm curious, why are you migrating away from BPOS to on-premise?

Thanks

Martin

Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Hi Martin,

I can't speak for Henry, but I can tell you about why I'm moving off of BPOS.

Too many outages, period

Lack of an acceptable response time to support requests

No control over MY e-mail environment

Hope that helps,

Bryce

Bryce
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:48 PM
  • Hi Martin.

What Bryce said...

The service level from BPOS has lately been the worse I've ever seen from any email provider.

There was an outage this week, which prompted me to call the 24/7 technical support line, where I got a message telling me "We are currently closed, please call back during regular business hours..." and hung up. And this... multiple times for over an hour.

This was a 24/7 line... and it was 2h00 in the afternoon...

Lost emails (black holed), no logs, no traces, delays delays delays, performance issues, account issues, stupid password problems that lock people out for 24 hours without any recourse, etc etc etc...

Basically... BPOS completely and utterly sucks. And 6 months after the migration, even the biggest fans originally, are now starting to propose we roll back and get everything back in-house.

For us, the BPOS "adventure" has been nothing but a frustrating and gigantic waste of time and money.

Have a nice day.

Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:00 PM
  • Hi Martin.

What Bryce said...

The service level from BPOS has lately been the worse I've ever seen from any email provider.

There was an outage this week, which prompted me to call the 24/7 technical support line, where I got a message telling me "We are currently closed, please call back during regular business hours..." and hung up. And this... multiple times for over an hour.

This was a 24/7 line... and it was 2h00 in the afternoon...

Lost emails (black holed), no logs, no traces, delays delays delays, performance issues, account issues, stupid password problems that lock people out for 24 hours without any recourse, etc etc etc...

Basically... BPOS completely and utterly sucks. And 6 months after the migration, even the biggest fans originally, are now starting to propose we roll back and get everything back in-house.

For us, the BPOS "adventure" has been nothing but a frustrating and gigantic waste of time and money.

Have a nice day.

Agreed. Wish I could move back to on-premises.... :(

Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:30 PM
  • Hi, can somebody tell me how can I retrieve the LegacyExchangeDN values from BPOS mailboxes??

Thanks!

Thursday, April 26, 2012 8:15 AM