Additional information about the problem:
    LCID: 1033
    Brand: Office12Crash
    skulcid: 1033
    Read our privacy statement:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 4:19 PM

Answers

• I had the same problem for at least 2 weeks. I installed the Ulltimate Steal (MS Office 2007 for students @ $59) deal from Microsoft.  I'm running Vista Home Premium.  It was running fine then some of those automatic updates were applied and walluh--crashing Word.  Not excel or anything else--just word.

Here's the answer that solved the problem for me and hope it solves your problem too: 

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3985446&SiteID=17

Sunday, November 09, 2008 7:14 AM
  • I just rebuilt my computer using Windows 7 and Office 2010 Technical preview.  I was having problems opening anything from my company's Sharepoint site, where I could click a document, but it wouldn't open unless I saved it locally.  I figured it was some heightened security, then the problem got worse as trying to open any Word document was causing winword.exe to crash.  Even opening in Safe Mode or with Detect and Repair, it would still crash.  So I uninstalled 2010 and went back to 2007

I backed up the registry key mentioned above (HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office) and deleted the \Data key from all versions I had installed (8,12, 14), but the problem still wouldn't go away.  I couldn't open in Safe Mode, and winword.exe /a failed as well.

Turns out that my selecting a network printer as my default printer on my computer was the root of the problem.  Our printers are on a print server, and my computer isn't joined to the domain so when I want to query the print server, I need to UNC into it first.  That was never an issue before, however since Windows 7, it appears to be.

So, if you have a winword.exe crash upon launch and all your other options don't fix it (registry, normal.dot, add-ins, etc), check your default printer.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 7:41 PM

All replies

• my word 2007 office home student started crashing on 26 sep 08.

after i save my doc as a word 97 to 2003, which save properly.

than i close word 2007. that is when it crashes and needs to start up.

any suggestions on how to fix this problem.

thanks

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 12:35 AM
  • i also have the same problem, have you found a solution??

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 12:36 AM
  • I have the same problem after Windows Update, so I suspected that Security Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB955936) might have affected. Could anyone please verify if it does indeed affected Word 2007 not to function correct?
    Friday, October 17, 2008 10:20 PM
  • i got the same error.  i ran ms diagnostic and the returned result was that it was a problem with my hp printer driver (very vague info). 

i contacted hp through an online chat and all they could recommend that i do is uninstall my photosmart C6180 all in one software and see if i still have the problem.

i have yet to find a solution.  help!

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 5:02 PM
  • I had the same problem for at least 2 weeks. I installed the Ulltimate Steal (MS Office 2007 for students @ $59) deal from Microsoft.  I'm running Vista Home Premium.  It was running fine then some of those automatic updates were applied and walluh--crashing Word.  Not excel or anything else--just word.

Here's the answer that solved the problem for me and hope it solves your problem too: 

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3985446&SiteID=17

Sunday, November 09, 2008 7:14 AM
  • Spencer O_Reilly said:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: WINWORD.EXE
    Application Version: 12.0.6308.5000
    Application Timestamp: 47e547c5
    Fault Module Name: mso.dll
    Fault Module Version: 12.0.6320.5000
    Fault Module Timestamp: 485ae817
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0003a9ed
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.6
    Locale ID: 4105
    Additional information about the problem:
    LCID: 1033
    Brand: Office12Crash
    skulcid: 1033
    Read our privacy statement:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

First shut down Word and any other Office programs (such as Outlook).

On the Start menu, select Run, type regedit in the box and click OK.

In the Regedit program, the parts of the registry appear on the left in a tree
    diagram like the one in the file manager. Expand the icons in this order:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Software
    Microsoft
    Office
    Word
    Data

Click on the Data icon and press the Delete key. You'll be asked to confirm that
    you want to delete the key; say yes. You can now close the Regedit program.

Then restart Word and test it.

Dave

I work at Microsoft. These are my opinions and not my employers.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by MS-DaveH Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:17 PM
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:17 PM
  • I had the same problem for a long time, I had almost given up on it. But with these instructions I have finally fixed it. Thanks so much!!!
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 3:35 PM
  • I tried to do the solution you suggested, Dave but after expanding 12.0 folder tree and then expanding Word folder tree, there was no "Data" file.  Only a file named "Wizards."  Should I delete the Wizards file?

Or, under 11.0 and then Word there was a "Data" file.  Should I delete this Data file?

Please help!  The winword.exe error is crashing my word documents and outlook email messages frequently now.

Ed
    Thursday, October 01, 2009 5:52 PM
  • I just rebuilt my computer using Windows 7 and Office 2010 Technical preview.  I was having problems opening anything from my company's Sharepoint site, where I could click a document, but it wouldn't open unless I saved it locally.  I figured it was some heightened security, then the problem got worse as trying to open any Word document was causing winword.exe to crash.  Even opening in Safe Mode or with Detect and Repair, it would still crash.  So I uninstalled 2010 and went back to 2007

I backed up the registry key mentioned above (HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office) and deleted the \Data key from all versions I had installed (8,12, 14), but the problem still wouldn't go away.  I couldn't open in Safe Mode, and winword.exe /a failed as well.

Turns out that my selecting a network printer as my default printer on my computer was the root of the problem.  Our printers are on a print server, and my computer isn't joined to the domain so when I want to query the print server, I need to UNC into it first.  That was never an issue before, however since Windows 7, it appears to be.

So, if you have a winword.exe crash upon launch and all your other options don't fix it (registry, normal.dot, add-ins, etc), check your default printer.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 7:41 PM
  • This did it!
    Thanks dude.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:37 AM
  • Where is the solution?? or who is the solution.

Thanx

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 2:41 PM
  • I had the same problem and the above instructions were perfect. It worked.

Friday, November 08, 2013 2:12 AM